Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colt New Service .45 Colt Army Model of 1909

Quote Originally Posted by varifleman View Post
    I have 200 rounds of 45 Colt ammo coming soon so will post a range report when I shoot it. I think almost all the Colt 1909s remained in the Philippines during their service life; perhaps Parkerized there. I've also got a WWI British Contract Colt New Service .455 Eley; will have to track down photos etc to post.
    Looking forward to the range report.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Can't tell from the photo of the chambers, does yours have the groove behind the throats?
    Hi Good cheer; chambers on my 1909 look just like this one; are those the grooves you asked about?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1909r.jpg  
    Last edited by varifleman; 03-31-2021 at 11:41 AM.

Boolit Master
    Awesome piece of history you have there.

Thanks for sharing!

Hi Good cheer; chambers on my 1909 look just like this one; are those the grooves you asked about?
    Could be. The picture is kinda fuzzy when zooming in.

Goodcheer; so what do the grooves mean; modified for a different .45 round? I'll see if I can get a detailed photo of chambers.
    Last edited by varifleman; 03-31-2021 at 12:58 PM.

I think it was meant to prevent fouling build up from effecting the functions of loading and shooting (military use) with continual shooting with black powder loads.

The 1909's were actually chambered for a cartridge with an ever so slightly different set of dimensions from the commercial .45 Colt.
    Not saying it ever messed with developing loads but it has made me want to get a reamed out sizer die.
    Forty years ago I was using a #450229 with the nose machined out straight (cylindrical) and light loading it backwards for a HPWC. Boy howdy would that ever roll an armadillo!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have seen .455 Colt cylinders which were rechambered to .45 Colt simply by running a .45 ACP chamber reamer in deep. This leaves the abrupt step behind the more gentle transition from case mouth to ball seat.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Such a cool piece! I just picked a Colt 1917 at a local auction for $350. She needs a set of grips and a lanyard ring, but is in over decent shape. I'm glad she was missing those, as otherwise I think the price would have been three times that.

Not sure if ths is relevant but Luger was I think the first to use stepped chambers, My two Walther PPQ's have stepped chambers and are said to be one of the factors that contribute to the PPQ's reputation for accuracy. The Ruger Blackhawk 45acp cy,inders have the same ledge to prevent the 34acp cae from sliding through the chamber and also to allow the cartridge to headspace off the case mouth.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Got several boxes of military issue Frankford Arsenal ammo for this pistol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1909ammo3.jpg   1909ammo4.jpg   1909ammo2.jpg  

The 1990 gun digest ran an article about these, that was the first I knew of the model as it wasn’t listed in the blue book. I soon found one at a gun show of which I still have. I was happy the author had the bore slugged and reported a .451-.452 groove diameter but as with all my Colts chambered in 45 colt even my anaconda, they shoot more accurate with .454 diameter bullets. Others have noted the grip frame size of the New Service on guns without the round butt (38 and shooting master models) and some do what I do and that is to add a grip adapter. That makes a bid difference for myself.

my 1909 New Service

my M1909 colt... made and shipped to Manila in 1911... 110 years old and good for a hundred more... came to me with one grip panel broken and i found the new old stock pachmayr but not an original panel yet... a fine shooter and tight as a drum... nothing like an old Colt...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m1909.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	283214

Took the revolver out to a friend's range and shot some 40 rounds and the old Warhorse performed flawlessly and was spot on every time. Yes, tight as a drum and a real hoot to shoot! Since this range has only metal targets no photos but next time will have photos of paper targets at another range. Used this modern factory loaded 45 LC ammo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1909ammo.jpg  

I got this book a few years ago and it contains good information about AEF troops who served under British command and were issued British firearms.
    Lions led by Donkeys.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I received this interesting reply re my Colt .455 New Service British contract revolver:

George: You have a wonderful example of the Colt .455 model. The markings leave no doubt it was issued to members of the AEF. Do you have any specific questions for us to research?

Jerry Schmidt, volunteer
    Edward Jones Research Center Attendant
    National World War I Museum and Memorial
    2 Memorial Drive| Kansas City, MO | 64108
    Desk: 816-888-8142
    research@theworldwar.org

Here is mine I picked up locally last October. Manufactured in 1911, Army issued with acceptance stamps. The lanyard ring has been removed and a plug put in its place, I need to find one yet.

Name:	M1909 Colt.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	311015

Boolit Master
    Refinished or not, it's just too cool for words. I like it.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Not to hijack the thread, but homage to the New Service .455 Eley. Serial number on this one dates it to 1915. Canadian crossed pennants property mark. Barrel was bobbed to 2-3/4" and sight professionally remounted long ago. Interestingly USGI .45 ACP headspaces against chamber cone and rim stands just proud enough for clean cylinder rotation. No moon clip will fit in unaltered .455 cylinder, but fired reliably without clips and empties fall out of their own weight.

Gun is at Sandy Garrett to tweak and adjust.

Name:	20230120_114159~2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	311089 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230112_213606.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	311090
    Last edited by Outpost75; 02-28-2023 at 01:20 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12