MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Has anyone seen a .44-77 chamber like this

Has anyone seen a .44-77 chamber like this

I finally got around to shooting my "New adventure" .44-77. Well the chamber is not a traditional .44-77. The shoulders moved up and shorten the neck to .40. The unfired case is in the middle. I have a thread on 24hour campfire BPRC titled New adventure Shiloh Sharps. Has anyone seen .44-77 chambers like this? I was told John King did the work.

Boolit Buddy
    Perfectly normal! See, there were/aren't any SAAMI standards for this ole hoss. Besides that, Remington and Sharps chambers were different enough that the shoulder was necessarily set back on new ammo. You gain a lot of powder space just fireforming! Fire away and be happy cause you have the best BPC there is!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Like Sam said , not uncommon, a lot like the 30wcf cases look a lot different after you fire factory ammo.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhouse View Post
    Perfectly normal! See, there were/aren't any SAAMI standards for this ole hoss. Besides that, Remington and Sharps chambers were different enough that the shoulder was necessarily set back on new ammo. You gain a lot of powder space just fireforming! Fire away and be happy cause you have the best BPC there is!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Like Sam said , not uncommon, a lot like the 30wcf cases look a lot different after you fire factory ammo.
    Thanks

Boolit Master

FWIW - I recently had C. Sharps chamber a .44-77 Green Mountain barrel for me. The neck of a fired case is just over .500" long.

I shot a 3" group at 100yards in a 25mph wind last Sunday I guess you could say while fire forming my brass. I have a Lee Shaver economy long range sight that I'm still trying to figure out how much to adjust after my 100yard mark. It was my first time out with this rifle. My load was 75gr swiss fg .030 card, I don't remember how much I compressed my powder, 3/8 grease cookie, .030 card with a 1.2" 415gr .183 meplat paper patched with 9# onion skin making the bullet .438ish hand seated. I've got to do better writing things down. I did not clean between shots. Only 3 to 4 deep breaths down the breech. It's a start.

Looks decent.

Boolit Master

Not bad at all for the first time out. I bet it would tighten up a little if you wipe between shots.

that and maybe playing with the powder charge a bit.

With your wad stack you have close to .435" used up in that case neck not counting the depth you seat the bullet.
    You bon't want to compress the powder with the over the powder wad below the case neck into the shoulder this will give you a 100 yard group like your looking at with the .44-77.
    The .44-77 will put 5 shots at 100 yards you will cover with a quarter when you get everything worked out. that will make the high powder shooters scratch their heads when they see a guy shooting 19'th century tech rifle and powder and putting holes through paper they have a hart time doing I have seen their look on their faces when they shut down the line to paste targets
    You made a good caliber choice.

Kurt