Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Gun Show

Banned

Gun Show

Went to the excellent show in Hartmann Areana in Wichita yesterday, probably my favorite gun show. I've been to bigger, but never one where the percentage of tables was higher in stuff I'm interested in, though there seemed to be a lot more of the tacticool stuff that I usually just pass by without a glance this time.

I walked out with some treasures including a little black powder shotgun I'm rather enamored with, got a smoking deal on a couple of presses too.

I wasn't really looking for ammo, though there was a lot to be had. Primers seemed to be going for a hundred bucks per thousand. I didn't buy any, but if it's like this when this one happens again in October, I might. Lots of reloading stuff and even a couple of tables of bullet molds. Not much I really need anymore, but pawing through a junk box turned up a .308 Trim die I needed for cheap. Also picked up some 16 gauge trap shells just because I shoot a lot of them and they were there for a good price.

All in all, not the doom and gloom I expected, except for ammo/primer prices being high, pretty much business as usual.

Boolit Master
    I have heard a box of 50 22LR was going for $125 a box, and 45 Long Colt for $5-$8 a round. Just curious as I am ok on 22LR, and reload rather than buy factory ammo for center fire, but if the demand for factory ammo has slacked off, maybe primers will get back to normal prices. Fingers crossed.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Went to the excellent show in Hartmann Areana in Wichita yesterday, probably my favorite gun show. I've been to bigger, but never one where the percentage of tables was higher in stuff I'm interested in, though there seemed to be a lot more of the tacticool stuff that I usually just pass by without a glance this time.

I walked out with some treasures including a little black powder shotgun I'm rather enamored with, got a smoking deal on a couple of presses too.

I wasn't really looking for ammo, though there was a lot to be had. Primers seemed to be going for a hundred bucks per thousand. I didn't buy any, but if it's like this when this one happens again in October, I might. Lots of reloading stuff and even a couple of tables of bullet molds. Not much I really need anymore, but pawing through a junk box turned up a .308 Trim die I needed for cheap. Also picked up some 16 gauge trap shells just because I shoot a lot of them and they were there for a good price.

All in all, not the doom and gloom I expected, except for ammo/primer prices being high, pretty much business as usual.
    I had a couple things going on or I would have been at that show. It clearly isn't what it once was when it was at Colosseum Annex. Sometimes it has just been plain bad since moving to Hartman and not worth the now $12 they charge. When they get the tables filled with firearm and related items, it can be a decent show which is hit and miss. Like most any show, if you dig deep and long enough for the obscure you are likely to find something of value.

Boolit Buddy
    Forgot to ask, were all tables filled and what was the crowd like?

Banned
    Primers seemed to be going for a hundred bucks per thousand. ==== that's cheap, vendors have been asking up to $300 a brick at shows [and not selling them. people just shake their heads and move on.

$100 a brick is a low price on my local forum.

You can buy primers online IF your fast enough, from Midway they are around $80 a brick with shipping and hazmat, limit 1 brick so you can't defer shipping and handling over a case

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    I have heard a box of 50 22LR was going for $125 a box, and 45 Long Colt for $5-$8 a round. Just curious as I am ok on 22LR, and reload rather than buy factory ammo for center fire, but if the demand for factory ammo has slacked off, maybe primers will get back to normal prices. Fingers crossed.
    If 22 LR is going for over $2 a round let me know where I can sell some. I'd like a Wilson Combat 1911 or two. I could easily spare a case of Mini-Mags to acquire them.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boy, would I love to go to a show with a couple of tables with bullet molds. I seldom see even one mold at our shows though it has been known to happen from time to time.

I've been to three in recent weeks. Ammo was mighty steep, but by now we would all be expecting that. Still, at one show I managed to find some 327 Fed Mag at 2019 retail prices. Scored a nice box of 32acp brass at another.

Prices are slowly starting to improve. The ammo at the Orlando show was merely really expensive rather than completely preposterous and there was plenty of it too.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    If 22 LR is going for over $2 a round let me know where I can sell some. I'd like a Wilson Combat 1911 or two. I could easily spare a case of Mini-Mags to acquire them.
    I always hear about it later from a cousin who hits the auctions. I wish I could hit a few myself with a brick or two. The price of 45 L Colt and 45-70 really staggered me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerguy View Post
    Forgot to ask, were all tables filled and what was the crowd like?
    I think I saw one empty table and it looked like a vendor had left early, I couldn't get there on Saturday due to work.

Lots and lots of reloading tools, I think I made out like a fat rat on those two presses. The thing I like about this show is it's mostly old collections of stuff, I just walk straight by tables of black rifles and auto pistols, simply no interest and while there was more of the tacticool stuff this time than usual, it was still the minority by a wide margin.

Crowd was about normal. Hate to say it, but the two tables with lots of molds, I really didn't spend much time looking, I have all the molds I am likely to ever need and then some, I probably should have a table at that show, LOL.

Boolit Master
    I think that's one of the best gun show reports ive seen in at least a year.

I was there about 11am to 2pm. Not as busy as I thought it would be. The table with lots of lyman molds were mostly single cavity and full retail price.

Moderator Emeritus

Were 22's really selling for that much ($2 a round)?

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post

I walked out with some treasures including a little black powder shotgun I'm rather enamored with, got a smoking deal on .
    Lets see this sweatheart you fell in love with rich!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy

Also at Wichita show.Was just walking up to the table when you purchased the two presses. Saturday crowd was much larger. 22's priced at $9-10 per 50. Good show.
    Wish I'd known you are on cast boolits, I'd introduced myself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Were 22's really selling for that much ($2 a round)?
    That's what my cousin said, but it was an auction. Swapping is a little bit different. Went by my local gun shop this am. Owner is an old friend, and I told him I had flat wung out my Ruger 77-22 a few days ago, and other than CCI Target, it really liked 22 Rem. Golden Bullets. He said he'd just gotten in a bulk pack of GB's 525 pack for $49. I indicated I had a bulk pack of some other brand. Found them and it was a Federals copper plated 525 pack. He had already given me the bulk pack of GB's earlier. So I gave him the bulk pack of Federals and a $5 bill, and all was good.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Lets see this sweatheart you fell in love with rich!!!
    I need to get a picture of it, but I think I am really gonna like this as a bumming around the woods gun. Made in Spain, not a high end gun by any means, but easy carrying and pointing.

I didn't even bother looking at .22 LR Ammo, pretty much gonna give up on rimfires for a while. Only ammo I bought was 16 gauge trap shells for ten bucks a box.