WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ejecting loaded ammo in Marlin 1894

Ejecting loaded ammo in Marlin 1894

I picked up an old Marlin 1894 in 38-40 over the weekend and set up the reloading dies. While running a dummy round through, the round would not clear the action before the ejector would try to flip the cartridge out with the bullet still in it(a loaded round). The OAL would have to be quite shorter than the 1.592 that the manual lists. Whats the trick to unload the magazine? I solved the problem with the dummy round by pushing the bullet back with a cleaning rod and a light hammer. Don't want to do that with a live loaded round.

Is it actually the ejector that's trying to send the empty or live round out the port? I ask that because a common malady is worn or broken rim retainer on the inward side of the bolt. Is it possible that someone replaced the ejector with one too long that would cause early ejection? The case should remain held tightly to the bolt face until pushed off and out in the very last movement of the bolt to the rear. All side ejecting Marlins (that I'm aware of) should eject a live round that's within spec without any problem and ejection should be crisp with easy clearance no matter how slowly the action is opened. Look closely at the ejector, I suspect it is too long.

Oh and BTW...I have seen Marlin ejectors bent so that the very end of the ejector catches the rim and caused early ejection jam. That was on a 444 much younger than your 1894 but the ejectors are similar and work on the same guide on the tip and a notch that does the work. That's all I can think of. All old Marlins are capable of working like brand new no matter how worn, they just need love, caressing and a really great micro TIG welder.

Boolit Master
    I think quail4jake has it figured. I also bought a Marlin 1894 38/40 recently and it ejects cartridges up to 1.60" length just fine. They better not be the least bit longer than that however or they won't feed into the chamber to begin with.

With the action open, you can use a knife or screwdriver to push between the case and extractor to free the cartridge. Then dump the cartridge out.

To unload the cartridges from the magazine, without cycling; through the loading gate, push the cartridge forward with your little finger or dowel rod, then hold the loading gate open as you let the spring push the cartridge back out. Repeat until empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Win94ae View Post
    With the action open, you can use a knife or screwdriver to push between the case and extractor to free the cartridge. Then dump the cartridge out.

To unload the cartridges from the magazine, without cycling; through the loading gate, push the cartridge forward with your little finger or dowel rod, then hold the loading gate open as you let the spring push the cartridge back out. Repeat until empty.
    That is certainly a good way to unload the magazine without having to chamber live rounds. I am always conscious of having to unload lever guns; usually by the old "jack 'em through and gather 'em up" method which is a recipe for a negligent discharge. I have tried that method and it works although hard on the fingers and requires full cycling to release the next cartridge although it does keep the chamber empty. My favorite way is to bring the lever to full open then advance just far enough to bring the carrier up then reopen to release the live round to dump by gravity out of the ejection port then close fully on an empty chamber to release the next round on to the carrier...wash, rinse, repeat. All done with meticulous attention to muzzle direction and who is around. Let's face it, someone unloading anything with a tube mag should be cause for concern and a watchful eye because sooner or later...OK, so the real story: I have witnessed several NDs in this scenario and treated one gentleman for a GSW to the distal foot due to exactly this circumstance. When my boys were young I staged a deliberate discharge into the backstop while unloading a Marlin '94 to show what can happen and how quickly then we had a drill unloading that rifle before I allowed them to fire it. They were very impressed and still talk about it 15 years later. You can unload a top eject winchester the same way you only have to move the bolt forward enough to get the rim above the guide rails. Lewis Hepburn was trying to develop a loading gate hold open and cartridge release button for the Marlin 1893 but I guess it never went anywhere. Please let us know what you find with that ejector, it will be great education!

Boolit Master

Yes, please...........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quail4jake View Post
    That is certainly a good way to unload the magazine without having to chamber live rounds. I am always conscious of having to unload lever guns; usually by the old "jack 'em through and gather 'em up" method which is a recipe for a negligent discharge. I have tried that method and it works although hard on the fingers and requires full cycling to release the next cartridge although it does keep the chamber empty. My favorite way is to bring the lever to full open then advance just far enough to bring the carrier up then reopen to release the live round to dump by gravity out of the ejection port then close fully on an empty chamber to release the next round on to the carrier...wash, rinse, repeat. All done with meticulous attention to muzzle direction and who is around. Let's face it, someone unloading anything with a tube mag should be cause for concern and a watchful eye because sooner or later...OK, so the real story: I have witnessed several NDs in this scenario and treated one gentleman for a GSW to the distal foot due to exactly this circumstance. When my boys were young I staged a deliberate discharge into the backstop while unloading a Marlin '94 to show what can happen and how quickly then we had a drill unloading that rifle before I allowed them to fire it. They were very impressed and still talk about it 15 years later. You can unload a top eject winchester the same way you only have to move the bolt forward enough to get the rim above the guide rails. Lewis Hepburn was trying to develop a loading gate hold open and cartridge release button for the Marlin 1893 but I guess it never went anywhere. Please let us know what you find with that ejector, it will be great education!
    Unloading is the one reason I am not totally against the crossbolt safeties on newer leverguns. I have never been 100% comfortable with jacking live rounds through the chamber to unload.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Unloading is the one reason I am not totally against the crossbolt safeties on newer leverguns. I have never been 100% comfortable with jacking live rounds through the chamber to unload.

Robert
    I agree completely but still love the old levers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk