Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Mating Season in the Neighborhood!

Boolit Buddy

Mating Season in the Neighborhood!

I live in a typical suburban neighborhood, except for a couple of creeks the run thru it. My lot backs up to a Mormon Church that has a ball field and kind of a park behind it so the Turkeys in the neighborhood gather there in mating season. Today while taking time out from loading rounds for my Krag I sat on the patio and watched 6-7 Toms strut around for two hens that paid them no attention.

We must have several hundred turkeys in the area. The City put up Turkey Crossing signs in the areas where habitually they cross the roads! I've seen as many as 21 at one time in the ball field. My wife like to see the chicks running thru the grass when they are so short that all you can see are their heads above the long grass.

Spring has sprung!

When you walk across the ball field, be careful where you step!

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    When you walk across the ball field, be careful where you step!

DG
    If you see any "J" shaped tootsie rolls laying on the ground, don't pick them up for the young'uns........

Boolit Master

same by me i have lived in same town 40 years last week saw Turkeys for first time in town 10 of them
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Will see lots of turkeys now, just wait til season opens, none to be seen. lol
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Here in NH we feed them cracked corn. We have had as many as 50 in the yard at once.
    And yes, watch out for the poop! I have tracked it into the house on more than one occasion.
    The Toms are strutting their stuff and the girls are not impressed. They will start sitting on their nests shortly and we won't see so many girls, just the boys until later when the babies come out.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 03-29-2021 at 10:05 AM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

My initial thought was..... you lived near the beaches in Florida! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Here in NH we feed them cracked corn. We have had as many as 50 in the yard at once.
    And yes, watch out for the poop! I have tracked it into the house on more than one occasion.
    The Toms are strutting their stuff and the girls are not impressed. They will start sitting on their nests shortly and we won't see so many girls, just the boys until later when the babies come out.
    Around here, if you don't like a neighbor, you spread the cracked corn in THEIR yard!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Just a few clicks from my wooden box call yesterday morning brought one hen, 3 jakes, and 2 strutting Toms to within 10 yards of the juniper tree I was standing behind.
    Season starts next Saturday- they'll be elsewhere.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F7BB5CE8-2441-4FEB-BBB0-E218E9EC7FC5.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	280437
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master

There is a pasture on the way to a rock pit were I shoot that has no turkeys before or after mating season.
    I saw 30-40 of them in the field the other day in the field.
    I have seen 100+ in that field during mating season.
    I have seen that many together any were else.

Boolit Master
    I can hear the turkey's squacking out back, just can't see em in the high brush where they like to hang out. been thinking about putting up a corn feeder out in the open pasture, but that might just be illegal around here if one happens to get lead poisoning nearby.