Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The age old question

Boolit Buddy

The age old question

So, God put us on this earth......why?

Yes, the age old question "Why are we here?"

His creations of earth and all of it's beauty and other creatures are mind blowing.
    Yet, here we are having to run the gauntlet of life.

Greed, fame, desire, human emotion, etc., are things that can trip us up into committing sin, despite our belief and love of God.
    We are not perfect, but God seems to want that from us or else we are punished for our sins.
    Grr-rrr!
    In a way it seems sadistic of God to put us here and have us struggle through life.
    I know that sounds terrible but in my frustration I have those thoughts.
    I do try,...but then I fail.

I want to be back home with God but my road has been a bumpy road where I have stumbled and fallen and then get upset with myself because I did so.
    More sin and a bit farther from God on each episode of my failures.

I am accountable for all of my sins and understand the nulling out of my bad and good Karma with Him.
    Sorry, I do not believe I get a free pass (salvation) because one believes in Jesus.

Perhaps God will read my heart and despite my sins I can go back home with Him, hopefully.
    Otherwise, (in my belief system) I have to come back and do it all over again.

So, God put us on this earth......why?
    If He wanted company in His vast Oneness for some reason, why not just put us in heavan with Him to start with.

Or,....maybe He did and we are the fallen angels that wanted to experience this Physical Life?
    Big mistake!

Boolit Buddy
    Our purpose in life and why we were created is to glorify God.

I fail miserably but I’m a work in progress

Boolit Master

pretty sure your "belief system" needs an update.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

The why really doesn't matter.
    Just be the best we can is what does matter.
    In my opinion anyway.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    Sorry, I do not believe I get a free pass (salvation) because one believes in Jesus.
    Sorry, but that's because you really don't understand what Biblical "belief" actually entails; it's MUCH more than a mouthed belief. A real belief is much more demanding than that, a real belief WILL produce positive changes in life.

Is there no change in the lost sinner? Then there's no new life!

Try thinking of Biblical believing as including "following", "clinging to", "depending on", "emulating", "loving" the one whom we "believe in" because all of that IS included in the kind of belief that produces salvation.

Unlike the casual "I believe in Jesus, therefore I am a Christian and therefore I'm going to heaven" ideas AND the group-think of earned salvations is foolish. Meaning new creatures in true believing and faithful living requires a lot more from us than simply doing an occasional good deed or checking things off a mindless "do/don't do" sin list. Thus, while salvation through Jesus is indeed the only way to heaven it's by no means a silly free pass; it demands a changed way of looking at life. (2 Cor 5:17)

Simply believing Jesus is God is a "depart from me, I never knew you" belief. Head acceptance must come but it's just a start, it's by no means the end of a "born again" faith and life. (Mat 7:21-23)
    Last edited by 1hole; 08-29-2020 at 07:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    I expect that the OP comes from a non-christian religion. I hope that he’ll share more.

Boolit Master
    God put us here to test us. To find our who is worthy and who is not. To give us practice, to learn what we need to learn so we can serve God better in the next life.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

We are here to learn.

Banned

I don't think we're gonna get the answer in the cast boolit forum!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    I don't think we're gonna get the answer in the cast boolit forum!
    Well, to be fair even to us ... this IS the "Deep Theology" forum and cast bullets aren't our focus. ???

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    pretty sure your "belief system" needs an update.
    Update to what?....to your belief system?
    Which would be....what?
    A Heavan or Hell scenario?

Here's an update to you:
    No one goes to Hell for eternity.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I expect that the OP comes from a non-christian religion. I hope that he’ll share more.
    You expect wrongly.
    Raised Catholic, went to Catholic School, did the altar boy thing where we said prayers in Latin.
    If you meant you'd like me to share more of my beliefs, then do a search.
    My views/beliefs have been stated many times in this forum.

Since you are participating in this thread, why not share your views on "Why are we here"?
    Hmmm?

Boolit Master
    Good question for a Sunday morning!
    I believe.
    Each of us has a relationship with God.
    Three times Bible says religion is ritual
    Then in James He says, "Religion is..."
    We are God's children.
    You have a relationship with your Father.
    Why? Why do you have kids, anyway?
    A test:
    When you were a kid did you say
    "I am in trouble, don't tell father."
    or
    "I am in trouble, tell father."

Betcha your Dad found out anyway.

Peter the fisherman wrote in 1 Peter 1:8
    ...Exult in joy unspeakable...

Where's your joy?
    In a church? A religion?
    Word of God. It's all spelled out.
    For me, I'm off to church.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 00buck View Post
    Our purpose in life and why we were created is to glorify God.

I fail miserably but I’m a work in progress
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    God put us here to test us. To find our who is worthy and who is not. To give us practice, to learn what we need to learn so we can serve God better in the next life.

Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    We are here to learn.
    Thank you for your replies.

To learn, to be tested, to glorify God and also I remember in my youth that we are here to serve God.
    As most know, I believe in reincarnation so that is another reason for being here NOW, but the initial "being here" is puzzling to me.

Is God so insecure that He needs to be glorified and served for some reason?
    It just doesn't "feel" right thinking that is true, yet I do not know the real reason.
    I know it has been pondered for ages and what we come up with is speculative.

In my mind I keep coming back to my thinking of why not "create" us and put us in heavan with Him, rather than on this earth?
    To prove ourselves worthy of Him, to test us?
    Ahhh-hh! Frustration. Round and round I go in my head.
    Why does it matter?
    Because I am that kind of person who ponders on these things and tries to figure them out.

It's interesting to read other's take on the issue and gives food for thought.
    Thanks.

Boolit Master
    .......Here's an update to you:
    No one goes to Hell for eternity.
    Rizzo, you state your belief as if it's an undeniable point of fact but I say it's only your opinion, itself probably firmly based on nothing but your opinion! But, to be fair to you, I'll ask by what data - or logic - did you arrive at that "update"?

* As an aside, I'm an old man and have known a lot of people, both inside and outside the family of God. There is no statistical data I know of to confirm it but my experience has been that those who were raised within Roman Catholicism and then grow up to reject God are, as a group, the most determined to deny God; wonder why that is?

Boolit Master
    You expect wrongly.
    Raised Catholic, went to Catholic School, did the altar boy thing where we said prayers in Latin.
    If you meant you'd like me to share more of my beliefs, then do a search.
    My views/beliefs have been stated many times in this forum.

Since you are participating in this thread, why not share your views on "Why are we here"?
    Hmmm?
    Apologies, the concept of reincarnation isn’t an element of Catholicism and so I made the assumption that I did. I was also raised catholic, went to catholic school and was an altar boy...I’m quite certain that while it made my family happy it doesn’t mean squat in terms of salvation. My Sicilian grandmother wanted me to be a priest, she figured my mother had 5 sons so one needed to be given to God’s service, but it wasn’t my path.

To answer your question, I don’t know why we are here, but we are and I feel pretty good about knowing what things I should be doing while we’re here. I often fail to do them, and do other things that I shouldn’t, but I’ve accepted salvation and the rest matters little.

I am curious about your belief in reincarnation. Personally I don’t see the point in it, but I can’t say that we aren’t cycling through physical forms until the rapture and then we all go to judgement together. If that’s what’s going on, and nobody knows it and you never remember it, then why not be happy to go along for the ride? You don’t know that it’s happening, and you can’t change it if it is.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Rizzo, you state your belief as if it's an undeniable point of fact but I say it's only your opinion, itself probably firmly based on nothing but your opinion! But, to be fair to you, I'll ask by what data - or logic - did you arrive at that "update"?
    Well 1Hole, we have been through this before....remember?
    That is what I believe.
    You state your beliefs with somewhat the same conviction as myself.
    Are those your opinions?
    I realize that you base your beliefs on what is in the Bible and feel strongly about them.
    I do admire that.

Yet you do come on rather strong sometimes in an insulting fashion to those that have THEIR own different beliefs.

Reincarnation is a belief that goes back thousands of years.
    It is hardly "firmly based on nothing but my opinion" as you stated.
    You know better than that.
    You are trolling there.

For everyone else:
    Basically stated, the belief says that we are accountable for our actions/sins.
    The Law of Cause and Effect (Karma) states that when we die we may proceed to a higher spiritual realm towards being back home with God if our good and bad karma null each other out. Certainly what is in our hearts come into play with regard to the repentance we have done.
    Also, material desires can be an anchor that would be a determing factor if we stay or come back (reincarnate).
    You really want that new shotgun, or Corvette, or being president of the company you work at....stuff like that.
    When you die, those are unfulfilled desires that can be one of the reasons you would have to reincarnate to resolve those desires or ultimately realize that they aren't that important.
    So, that is why no one goes to Hell for eternity.
    One reincarnates until things square up.
    Final destination: Back home with God from where we came, for everyone.

* As an aside, I'm an old man and have known a lot of people, both inside and outside the family of God. There is no statistical data I know of to confirm it but my experience has been that those who were raised within Roman Catholicism and then grow up to reject God are, as a group, the most determined to deny God; wonder why that is?
    I wouldn't know why that is. Why is that?

So, in your sly way, you are once again saying that I reject God.
    You called me a denier before and I called you out on it.
    "Thou shall not bear false witness.."
    Practice what you preach 1Hole and knock off the insinuations.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Apologies, the concept of reincarnation isn’t an element of Catholicism and so I made the assumption that I did. I was also raised catholic, went to catholic school and was an altar boy...I’m quite certain that while it made my family happy it doesn’t mean squat in terms of salvation. My Sicilian grandmother wanted me to be a priest, she figured my mother had 5 sons so one needed to be given to God’s service, but it wasn’t my path.

To answer your question, I don’t know why we are here, but we are and I feel pretty good about knowing what things I should be doing while we’re here. I often fail to do them, and do other things that I shouldn’t, but I’ve accepted salvation and the rest matters little.

I am curious about your belief in reincarnation. Personally I don’t see the point in it, but I can’t say that we aren’t cycling through physical forms until the rapture and then we all go to judgement together. If that’s what’s going on, and nobody knows it and you never remember it, then why not be happy to go along for the ride? You don’t know that it’s happening, and you can’t change it if it is.
    Correct, the Catholics do not teach about reincarnation.
    It is pretty much a foreign topic in this forum since most do not believe in it.......because it is not in the Bible.
    BTW, in my view, I do not see how it can conflict in the messages that Jesus taught us in the Bible.
    I have called myself a "Hybrid Christian" for that reason.

Regarding your curiosity about my belief in reincarnation, I just wrote out the basics in my previous reply to 1Hole.
    Hopefully that answers your questions.

Thanks for your input.

Boolit Master
    Correct, the Catholics do not teach about reincarnation.
    It is pretty much a foreign topic in this forum since most do not believe in it.......because it is not in the Bible.
    BTW, in my view, I do not see how it can conflict in the messages that Jesus taught us in the Bible.
    I have called myself a "Hybrid Christian" for that reason.

Regarding your curiosity about my belief in reincarnation, I just wrote out the basics in my previous reply to 1Hole.
    Hopefully that answers your questions.

Thanks for your input.
    Thanks, I think that I understand your beliefs at a high level. I'm not convinced that the bible is complete in all respects and I'm sure that our understanding is not complete. That said, I'm still curious why you've grafted a bit of Hinduism onto your Christian foundation. I'm sure that I can't help you in any way, so there may be no reason to answer the question, but when and why were you exposed to Hinduism and how did you work it into your personal beliefs?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    R......my experience has been that those who were raised within Roman Catholicism and then grow up to reject God are, as a group, the most determined to deny God; wonder why that is?
    Not reject God but reject religion. God is. Religion is made up. Happens more with Catholics because the Roman Catholic Church is the epitome of Industrial Religion for profit, church first, people second, God third.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast