Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You pay for some mistakes...

I don't tend to worry about getting all covered up. The one thing I ALWAYS do is wear wrap eye protection. A little burn on the leg will remind you to be careful, a burn to the eye is a different thing.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

The aloe is working well. I sit to cast.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Kinda had that coming, sometimes we need get reminders to do the basics.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Grand Master
    Important reminder for all of us.

I see pictures of people casting in sandals, short sleeve shirts, shorts, no eye protection and wonder how new, or lucky they have been. I have been burned like a suspect everyone who casts for very long has been.

After my first "accident" I bought a pair of good welders gloves.

I cast sitting down as well as I usually cast for long sessions. I use an old office chair that is adjustable for height and has casters so I can push away quickly if something bad happens. Bucket of water nearby and a fire extinguisher.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

Last year during a long casting cession while sitting down. After about a hour into it I guess I got tired and not paying attention. I removed the mold out from under the Lyman pot and tilted it sideways before the puddle solidified. The hot lead landed on my left thigh above my knee. I had long pants on but still have a quarter size pink spot on my leg. Last summer every time I was in shorts around my 2 year old granddaughter she would point out my boo-boo.

In addition to all the safety gear I put the "welcome " door mat over my lap. Some of us "older" guys have trouble standing for long periods of time. Also use cushions in the chair to get the thighs angled downward.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Look at it this way . . . your square burn on your knee is like a "tattoo in progress". "If" you are casting in shorts . . .at some point you'll have the tinsel fairy visit and then you can have all sorts of strange scars around the perfect square . . . kind of like modern art.

I'm not laughing at you . . . burns can be a serious thing. You had an "accident" and that is why they call them "accidents" . . . they are "un-intended" but it happens. That's why they make long pants, gloves and safety glasses.

I'm old and my back can't take standing and casting any more - so I sit like you but I make sure I am covered - legs, feet, arms, hands and eyes. Just be glad that you didn't have an unforeseen issue where lead spattered ad it went all over you legs, inner things and the family jewels.

Hope you heal up quickly - be safe not sorry.

Boolit Master
    In 50 some years of casting I have never burned my self. I always wear blue jeans, long sleeve cotton shirt and tennis shoes or boots, safety glasses and a good pair of heavy gloves. Boolits stay hot for quite a while and I have picked one up with an ungloved hand a couple of times, reaction time is instantaneous, so no visible damage, except for feeling a little stupid.
    My older Brother on the other hand though, got burned really bad though. He lived in Bullhead City Arizona, the temperature there in June July and August is 115 or higher during the day time. I don't know how often he did this but he was casting in the garage with the door open with a fan blowing from behind he was in shorts tea shirt slip on tennis shoes no socks and no safety glasses, he did have gloves on. He was adding one pound ingots now and then, he dropped one on the floor picked it up and slipped it in the pot in about two seconds the pot blew up he was burned on the face arms legs and a big slug of lead went down in side one of the slip on tennis shoes, his foot was burnt the worst. He's not sure what happened but he thinks when he dropped the ingot it picked up a live primer that found it's way over in the area he was casting in. It's about 15 feet from his loading bench. You never know what is lurking out there. Keep a clean loading area, always wear appropriate safety gear. You will always be about 95% safe.

USMC 77, USRA 79

don't you watch Yellowstone???? branding is part of the brotherhood!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Not to hijack this thread and I am very glad you are mostly Okay Landowner, but, do a lot of you cast sitting down???
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    In addition to all the safety gear I put the "welcome " door mat over my lap. Some of us "older" guys have trouble standing for long periods of time. Also use cushions in the chair to get the thighs angled downward.
    I HAVE to sit down. I'm very limited in how much I can stand. If I use my cane and stand straight I'm pretty good. But start leaning and the back is going to blow up.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wear shorts or a kilt 95% of the time. When casting I wear one of these aprons. It's saved me many burns. I also have some Kevlar sleeves I wear when I'm doing certain things. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I always wear one of my right arm as it's the one that tends to be moving over the hot stuff most of the time.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

When I cast, sitting or standing, I wear a leather welding apron as well as my other PPE. Too old to move fast so I cover up.
    God Bless, Whisler

Reminds me of what happened when I accidentally touched the radiator of my lawnmower with my calf! Yeeeouch!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    Reminds me of what happened when I accidentally touched the radiator of my lawnmower with my calf! Yeeeouch!
    You've got a lawnmower with a radiator? None of my riding mowers have ever had a radiator! Don't touch my mufflers though.

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    You've got a lawnmower with a radiator? None of my riding mowers have ever had a radiator! Don't touch my mufflers though.
    It was the push kind, where the exhaust and stuff were all merged into one exceptionally hot portion of the engine. That was not fun. Burnt my leg hair too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    That's so cool , man you're totally in with the in crowd !
    Branding is so hip !

I'm just glad you didn't do something dumb like pinch that mould between your belly and your thigh or something .

Seems like there's a "yeah but I ..." thread here somewhere that contains the story of a guy that cast bullets in welding gloves for over a year . He went to a show and a guy had a bunch of moulds for sale with some sort of a plier device sticking out of some of them . Naturally he inquired as to what the purpose was an was told " they're handles to hold the hot mould while you're working with it " ...... Yep the whole time he had been casting he was holding the mould in the gloved hand without any handles at all .......

I can't even count the bumps , touches , drops , drips , and WTH were you thinking moments in my life time , got a few scars to remind I was dumb too .
    Here you go Harter66. It was one of the funniest things I have read. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-top-this-NOPE

I have a new pair of brown duck Carhart's I wear to cast and they are long enough to go over the laces in my shoes. The "newness" in these overalls turn hot lead pretty well. My son donated a canvas welding jacket and along with my safety glass that covers my Rx glasses I'm good to go. Yeah, it's hot but so far, I've kept the scars to a minimum.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold

im new to the forum just starting to cast ww ingots today so your saying i need pants?:Bright idea thanks im gonna fire up the coleman
    thought this was gonna save money

Boolit Grand Master

Now that I'm older I wish I could cast sitting down and I do have a tall bar stool at the bench ...
    but when actually pouring lead , I ladle cast , I have to stand up ... I keep pot centered & fill mould , open mould and drop sprews in box , on left side ... open mould and drop boolits in a box on right side ... just too much reaching/moving around .
    Next time casting I might try to change ... sitting down appeals to me a whole lot now!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by todd2 View Post
    im new to the forum just starting to cast ww ingots today so your saying i need pants?:Bright idea thanks im gonna fire up the coleman
    And wear thick socks and shoes / leather ...boots are best .
    I got my worst burn wearing tennis shoes with no socks ... NO FLIP-FLOPS !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    "Seated at the pot"...<--- hey theres your problem!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast