Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You pay for some mistakes...

Boolit Master

You pay for some mistakes...

For a price, mold makers should add a Custom Option for "raised lettering" of the purchaser's specification on the bottoms of their molds. Then, doing what I did would seem like "on purpose".

I'm sporting a new "square brand" in the skin above my left knee from a HOT new RCBS 22-55-SP mold.

Seated at the pot, I bent over, to my right, to retrieve something (now immaterial) that I dropped on the floor while holding the heated and just filled mold in my left hand. Then, DOOPH!, I unthinkingly "checked out" mentally in a senior moment and tipped the hot mold onto the knee.

That's gonna leave a mark. Hopefully, just for a while. A reminder to use due caution.

OK. Stupid is a stupid does. Color me stupid on this one.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

SHORTS? not a good idea with lead anyway

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Banned
    +1 on long/heavy/all-cotton pants. --- It could have been worse, now you will see a reminder for some time whenever you wear shorts

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    SHORTS? not a good idea with lead anyway
    Yep. Trying to beat the heat. Paying for the mistake now.

Super Moderator

Ya, I don't cast with shorts on no matter how hot it is outside. Too much of a chance to get burned. I had a 2009 Toyota Tacoma with the same "brand" you describe on the plastic tailgate...glad it wasn't on my leg! Fortunately it doesn't take more than one, or perhaps two senior moments like that to not repeat it. Aloe Vera is your friend right now!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Aloe Vera is your friend right now!
    Excellent! Hadn't thought of that...good call.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    That's so cool , man you're totally in with the in crowd !
    Branding is so hip !

I'm just glad you didn't do something dumb like pinch that mould between your belly and your thigh or something .

Seems like there's a "yeah but I ..." thread here somewhere that contains the story of a guy that cast bullets in welding gloves for over a year . He went to a show and a guy had a bunch of moulds for sale with some sort of a plier device sticking out of some of them . Naturally he inquired as to what the purpose was an was told " they're handles to hold the hot mould while you're working with it " ...... Yep the whole time he had been casting he was holding the mould in the gloved hand without any handles at all .......

I can't even count the bumps , touches , drops , drips , and WTH were you thinking moments in my life time , got a few scars to remind I was dumb too .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Well glad your OK Rich!!

Good lord just remindin ya to pay attention.

Scars are proof of life man dont sweat it but remember!!

God Bless,

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Sorta like all the (shorts clad) motorcycle riders that have either branded a shin/calf on a hot pipe or at least melted a leg of their rain-pants......
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Grand Master

Branding !
    It's all the new rage in permanent body art ... my Daughter would have charged you good money to do that ... and you did it yourself for free ...
    Just have to look at the incident in a positive light ... could have been worse , the Tinsel Fairy didn't visit you !
    In my case "I meant to do that" was my life statement .

Juice from an aloevera plant stem does wonders for burns ... trust me !

Not stoopid ... stuff happens when you dealing with hot things ... glad you OK .
    After it heals ... it just might look real cool !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    While I haven't (yet) set a hot mold on my skin, I did do it to the 8 oz. dead blow hammer that I used to use for cutting sprues. It was a good reminder that just about everything to do with casting is hot.

By the way, a plastic dead blow hammer is not the tool to use to drive a small diameter punch when trying to move stuck objects in automotive parts. RIP hammer.

Robert

Vendor Sponsor

Not to hijack this thread and I am very glad you are mostly Okay Landowner, but, do a lot of you cast sitting down???
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Not to hijack this thread and I am very glad you are mostly Okay Landowner, but, do a lot of you cast sitting down???
    Couldn't speak for anyone else, but I do most of my casting sitting at a workbench when I'm casting boolits. Most other metals I've cast (or plan to cast), are done standing up/walking around.

Boolit Buddy
    well i have never known a good cook who hasent branded themselves on an oven rack, so, i consider that good company. or visa versa....im glad i was never a welder.

I do not wear shorts (wife says I have Chicken Legs. I wear Wranglers when I am casting boolets,, when I am casting ingots I wear a welders apron. Doesn't stop burned fingers though

Boolit Bub
    A Buddy of mine and I were casting bullets one cold January day. He was sort of a big guy with expanded middle section. He bent over by the door of the building to pick up something and the back of his shirt came up. I grabbed one of the cold molds off of a shelf and stuck it to his back. He ran right through the door of my loading shop taking my homemade door off the hinges. It was funny, but costly!

Like someone said, and after 46 years of casting with multiple dribs, drabs and occasional unexpected splashes, with nary a burn that even left a red spot, I always cast wearing a 100% cotton undershirt, long sleeve shirt with collar, long pants, leather shoes and thin gloves, baseball cap and safety glasses. When the weather is hot, I set up a fan to provide a breeze. I would never consider casting while sitting, because doing so would permit spilled lead to pool in my lap or rest on top of my thighs, plus I've had to jump back quickly several times. It's not uncommon for me to find small specks of lead adhering to the front of my shirt or pants. It doesn't pay to get lazy when dealing with molten alloy.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry to hear about this. Stay on top of it, you don't want an infection.

Boolit Master
    I do sit when casting, always have. Have not spilled anything yet, but, a hot sprue plate has found its way to my lap every now and then. Just glad I wear gloves so when I slap it away I don't burn my fingers

What has been worse was while building model airplanes. Using CA glue an open bottle dropped on my pant leg. I didn't know how hot that stuff could get when it cures. Besides sticking pants to leg I had 2nd deg burn. Using the acetone to dissolve the CA hurt that much worse.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Thinking the same thing. I can't work sitting down. I always stand when casting or reloading.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast