WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You pay for some mistakes...

At age 66, I'm really getting into the 'cranky and cantankerous, old guy' thing.

I'm waiting for some youngster to ask me about my various scars and burns so I can tell them,
    "Those aren't scars---- that's a war map".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

That one line from Keanu Reeves in the movie "The Replacements":

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever!"

At 67, only the first one matters.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I don’t sit while casting. Always stand just in case I have to dodge something bad happening.
    I wear a shop apron over long sleeves and jeans and welders gloves. The apron acquires tiny splashes of lead that I don’t see splashing on me at the time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    For a price, mold makers should add a Custom Option for "raised lettering" of the purchaser's specification on the bottoms of their molds. Then, doing what I did would seem like "on purpose".

I'm sporting a new "square brand" in the skin above my left knee from a HOT new RCBS 22-55-SP mold.

Seated at the pot, I bent over, to my right, to retrieve something (now immaterial) that I dropped on the floor while holding the heated and just filled mold in my left hand. Then, DOOPH!, I unthinkingly "checked out" mentally in a senior moment and tipped the hot mold onto the knee.

That's gonna leave a mark. Hopefully, just for a while. A reminder to use due caution.

OK. Stupid is a stupid does. Color me stupid on this one.
    Kind of a self branding moment
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I think my reaction to it singeing the top of my leg was pretty quick and yeah, it left a mark. Thanks to aloe, maybe it is a temporary mark that will wear off as the skin underneath grows. It is a surface singe, light 2nd degree, without blister, and not 3rd degree so I think the mark's prognosis is dark today with clearing in the near future.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    I think my reaction to it singeing the top of my leg was pretty quick and yeah, it left a mark. Thanks to aloe, maybe it is a temporary mark that will wear off as the skin underneath grows. It is a surface singe, light 2nd degree, without blister, and not 3rd degree so I think the mark's prognosis is dark today with clearing in the near future.
    No blistering means 1st degree burn.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master
    One lesson that I can not seem to learn is that a hot boolit looks exactly like a cool one.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post
    I don’t sit while casting. Always stand just in case I have to dodge something bad happening.
    I wear a shop apron over long sleeves and jeans and welders gloves. The apron acquires tiny splashes of lead that I don’t see splashing on me at the time.
    Yup. That is why I asked if many people sat down.
    The thought of a lap full of liquid lead leaves me speechless.
    I am in your camp with the long sleeves and cotton jeans, shop apron, welders gloves with the gauntlets. In addition to that, I make sure I have my good heavy leather boots and I always wear a clear full-face shield. The face shield accumulates a surprising number of tiny lead splats in a year. Enough that I clean them off to see better every few months. That is not due to lack of finesse or dexterity. Little micro splats happen.
    I've been in the casting game since 1972 and did not start out doing this. As I grew older and smarter and then became a career fireman, protecting myself just came naturally.

If you have a disability and really can't stand, there are certainly good ways to protect yourself. The easiest and safest is to stand if you are able. I am not here to tell anyone how to do it. You are all adults. But like the saying goes, "Let's be careful out there".
    Chill Wills

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123