MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 38 special wadcutter

Boolit Master

38 special wadcutter

I loaded up some lee 148 gr wadcutter in 38 special. I loaded like Outpost75 recommended doing. I deprimed the cases cleaned the primer pockets, primed the non sized cases and used the lee wadcutter the non tumble lube one. I lubed with 45/45/10 tumble lube and loaded them non sized at .360 right out of the mold. They shot extremely good loaded this way . I sorted out the thick brass cases when loading. I could tell about 1/30 where had to seat .thick cases even after using my Noe expander. The non sized cases the Noe expander never really touched the brass . Only the thick brass did it size ,expand.This worked really well for .360 wadcutters. I used 3.5 gr of bullseye for the load.They shoot like match ammo thanks outpost for the tip. I also didint seat them all the way flush with the case. I left them as long as I could and still fit in the cylinder. I crimped actually in the lube grove below the crimp grove.
    Last edited by Jniedbalski; 03-28-2021 at 05:27 PM.

Boolit Master

Can you add a link to Outpost75's recommendation (or are those them - as paraphrased). I might like to try that in the wife's Charter Arms revolver. We are currently in powder/boolit combination trials for what does and doesn't work for her.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Process is simple enough. Decap, inside deburr and lightly flare case mouths only. Bullet should be light friction fit in unsized case, so that it cannot fall deeper into the case. Prime, charge powder and seat to depth only, then profile - size loaded rounds and crimp using Lee Factory Crimp die or Redding profile crimp. As - cast and unsized bullet of .360-.362 is best. Bullet will be sized by compression inside the case during the profile crimp operation. This is the same way factory wadcutter are loaded. Knurl at midpoint of case body positions bullet in case. In fired brass you use a fat bullet.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Can you add a link to Outpost75's recommendation (or are those them - as paraphrased). I might like to try that in the wife's Charter Arms revolver. We are currently in powder/boolit combination trials for what does and doesn't work for her.
    For the wife , if she's like mine , you can start out with 2.5 grains of BE and work up to the 3.5 grains .
    Mine , wife and revolver, like 2.7 grains of bullseye under a 148 gr. cast wadcutter for target shooting , nice pleasant load and accurate to boot .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I loaded and shot a bunch that way too! Works like a charm! Now I just have to find a better way to fix old eye balls! hc18flyer

I think I my load was 3.2 Bullseye and seated in the top line groove. I think I use a Redding profile crimp.

Boolit Master
    I used the lee factory crimp die also. Most of the brass I could insert the bullet almost half way into the case by hand and used the press to finish seating the bullet. It worked out really good this way. Iam never going to size my brass first. Unless they get stickey and need it. Loading this way makes for a really good wadcutter load. Very accurate

Boolit Master

Tumble lubed. Not on my radar - I will have to read more about that and possibly get some additional supplies. I already have a bunch of 155 gr. WC's and SWC's sized (0.358") and lubed, so they probably won't work with unsized brass. No worries. I can make more...

Do you completely seat the boolit within the case - nothing but the crimp showing at the nose of the round (+/-), allowing those cases with a cannelure or knurl (maybe using only that type of case) to stop the boolit from seating deeper? I wondered what that line on the case was for...
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Anytime you can shoot an unsized bullet, that is a big plus in my book. Not having to size the case is less of an attraction to me as it saves no time. It might increase case life, but I expect not applying a crimp has more significant effect on case life.

One of my "projects" is to shoot unsized 9mm bullets (.358), with BLL, in my .38's for plinking loads, and use the same bullet in the 9mm's. If the unsized bullet is too large and/or leads in the 9mm's, I would lube (with 2500+) and size to .357. My thinking is the 9mm case does an even better job of "sizing" bullets during the seating process.

It is great is see stuff like this that allows a more efficient way to produce ammunition. I like simple.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Tumble lubed. Not on my radar - I will have to read more about that and possibly get some additional supplies. I already have a bunch of 155 gr. WC's and SWC's sized (0.358") and lubed, so they probably won't work with unsized brass. No worries. I can make more...

Do you completely seat the boolit within the case - nothing but the crimp showing at the nose of the round (+/-), allowing those cases with a cannelure or knurl (maybe using only that type of case) to stop the boolit from seating deeper? I wondered what that line on the case was for...
    I have loaded my wadcutters flush with the case mouth. This time I loaded about half of them flush and half of them sticking out and crimping them in the first grease grove . I thank the ones sticking out are more accurate but need to shoot more to find out for sure.

Boolit Master
    So you’re still sizing the back 80% of the bullet, the part in the case, you’re just doing it with the lee factory crimp die. The unsized front section gets sized by the cylinder throat upon firing.

Seems that brass thickness would matter because it now controls the bullet size, so do you at least sort by brand or does it not matter in practice?

Can you pull one, I’m curious about what size the FCD makes it vs the cylinder throat.

Also expect that the sizing process would squeeze all the lube down into the cartridge, but maybe not or maybe it doesn’t matter.

Boolit Master
    I use my factory crimp die different some times. I wanted to keep the .360 diameter bullets at .360 so I just ran the loaded shell up into the fcd just enuf to take the flair or bell out of the case mouth. That’s it then used my regular bullet seater and crimper to finish the crimp. The fcd I had to use full length on the cases that the bullets where hard to seat. They where to big to fit the cylinder thick brass. I can tell when putting the bullets in the case thin or thick brass. If they seat just by hand almost half way as most did thin brass. Some where a little snug thicker brass and I separated them. The ones that I couldent seat by hand and where harder to seat with my press is thick brass. I separated them and full length fcd them because they would not fit the cylinder. I could separate them by head stamp or brand but I find the way I do it it’s easier and I can tell thin or thick brass just by seating the bullet. It’s hard for me to see the tiny markings on the brass and time consuming for me . After I sorted them this way I did notice I was getting the same head stamp/ brands on the tight ones when I sorted them. As for tumble lube I let it dry a couple days before loading. I pulled a few after loading to check the diameter and the lube was untouched still good.still at .360. I also used the fcd on the .360 bullets with thin cases on a few and pulled them to check . The thin brass ones didint size down only the thick brass ones did.

Boolit Master
    Also I can tell thick brass or thin just by using my NOE expander. The thin brass it doesn’t touch the cases at all wad cutter brass. The thicker brass I can tell just by how the expander goes in and out of the case. The thick brass I really can tell because it’s a lot harder on my single stage lee press. And I do sort them this way . It’s amazing after Iam done and sort them the same brands or head stamps show up. I don’t even have to get my reading glasses out

Boolit Buddy
    Will a RCBS taper crimp die work as well for this purpose?

Boolit Master
    I don’t see why not. You might have to trim the cases all the same Length. I usally don’t for my 38’s just load and shoot

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    Will a RCBS taper crimp die work as well for this purpose?
    A taper crimp die reduces the case mouth only, and does not uniform the entire loaded round profile.
    Using the taper crimp only with unsized cases the rounds may not chamber.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    May have to try this one never thought of loading wad cutters that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    I have loaded my wadcutters flush with the case mouth. This time I loaded about half of them flush and half of them sticking out and crimping them in the first grease grove . I thank the ones sticking out are more accurate but need to shoot more to find out for sure.
    I tested that a few years ago by seating some so they just barely fit into the cylinder of my 38 special revolvers. Nearly flush with the front of the cylinder.
    The results were, yes, they were more accurate. Apparently, having part of the boolit riding in the cylinder throat improves alignment enough to make a difference.
    The issue was, since the boolits were sized to a tight slip fit for the cylinder throat, I had to push each cartridge into the cylinder individually. I could not use a speedloader.
    Slow fire was great. Rapid fire with a reload was impossible.
    In addition, all cylinder throats must be the same size for this to work.
    You will need to decide how you want to use those loads.

This is why the semi auto 38 special pistols are so accurate. No chance for the boolit to get misaligned during firing.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone tried a bullet like a Lyman 358429 loaded unsized into a 357 case and crimped over the front driving band starting with 38 special data for that bullet , with the process Outpost 75 describes ?
    I don't have any cast that have not been sized and lubed or I would go try it myself.

The only issue with loading unsized boolits is you are letting the cylinder throat do the sizing for you.
    This may not be a consistent process. I prefer sizing to throat size because it makes for a more consistent process. Usually, it is also more accurate.

As always, your gun may have it's own ideas what it prefers. Listen to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast