Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: kent shotgun hulls

Boolit Master

kent shotgun hulls

I have about 18,000 of these. Are they suitable for reloading? Opinions?

(That's 18,000 fired hulls)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGA01811.jpg  

Boolit Master

Any hull is capable of being reloaded, some just can be reloaded more times than others. I'm pretty sure the Kent shells are straight wall hulls like Federals and Fiocchi brand. I would use the data from those hulls to load the Kents.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

European (bigger) primer holes or American? Try to find out who makes the hulls i.e. Cheddite,Fiocchi, etc. Then do a water volume check with other hulls.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master
    I only reloaded the cheap hulls once and pitch them. But that was before the "panic" and those hulls were free for the taking at any trap/skeet club I shot at.

If the Kent has a paper base, do not reload them more than once as the paper gets burnt off with every firing. If it is plastic, you can reload them until they split at the crimp. Do as Hogtamer suggested to check volume.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Kent shells are straight wall hulls like Federals and Fiocchi brand. I would use the data from those hulls to load the Kents.
    That advice sounds like a commercial on TV....As hogtamer says, do more research, guessing someone here will have some experience with these.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Bub
    Since you have 18,000 of them, i would cut one in half lengthwise. Should tell you all you need to know of taper vs straight, paper vs plastic base. Put the next one through your reloader and measure primer size of old one.

These hulls look alot like Win Universals? I load any of this type of hull once to shoot in places where I can't pick them up. They are usually free and as such I see no problem with a one way trip. Nothing is lost when you can't find them to reload again, and at most they might survive 2 reloadings. Sure they could go farther but after the second firing they are starting to look bad.

I mean there is being cheap, and then there is being ridiculous.

And since there are plenty more where they came from why bother with burnt up hulls.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    that hull in pic was a steel shot. bet it was made for a 1 fire, you may get it to crimp . but bet they will not work on about 50%
    if they used the foreign primers may all be trash

Boolit Master
    Kent loads shotshells in their West Virginia plant; using imported, Kent headstamped, Cheddite hulls and CX2000 primers.
    Last edited by RMc; 03-31-2021 at 09:52 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been looking for a few hundred once-fired 12ga 2/3-4" Cheddite hulls to experiment with some steel loads...

If you're interested in selling a small lot of them (300-500), shoot me a PM. I'll pay $10/100 plus shipping.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the answers. I'm going to find some recipes for Cheddite hulls, I'll have to figure out the primers.