Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capper for Colt/Uberti pocket navy

Boolit Master

Capper for Colt/Uberti pocket navy

My old arthritic fingers have finally gotten the best of me and I am going to have to break down and get one of them newfangled cappers to cap my revolver with. Any recommendations on something that would work with both #10 and #11 caps for use with the little .36 caliber pocket navy?? Been checking with Midway and a couple of other places and it seems there are several to choose from but I'm just not sure?

Suggestions?
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

There are indeed more than one type of capper, and although I haven't used them all, the ones that have a long square tube, a button on the side and an internal spring work well. You compress the spring by sliding the button down, the load the caps into the tube. Release the button and the caps are forced upward. There's are springy fingers on the end that receive a cap and holds it fairly firmly while you push it downward onto the nipple. The catch would seem to be that if your arthritis is too bad you may experience difficulty in loading the tube and pressing down on the cap to seat it. It's tough to get old. Ask me how I know....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006764.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	280354
    Click to enlarge.

DG

Boolit Master

I use a ted cash capper , easy to open up with latch fill and close put a piece of tape on it for insurance ,

https://www.tdcmfg.com/product-page/universal-capper

I like it a lot better then the straight capper , comes in several different finishes . You can call them and ask what they recommend .

Boolit Buddy

I have both and, while I don't have arthritis yet, I think the Ted Cash style is easier to use. I have used #10 and #11 caps with mine.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've used the straight style quite a bit, never had the Ted Cash style. The straight one worked on my little 1849 Wells Fargo .31, so it should work on your .36.

Robert

Banned
    I’ve personally tried the Ted Cash “tear” shaped with no success. But the straight capper worked really well.

Boolit Master

I had not seen that Ted Cash capper and that looks to be a real deal so I will get that one headed my way, Thanks for the link! Next time I order from Midway I also will get the inline that was suggested because they're so cheap I will get one as an extra to put in my gear bag, until now I just didn't know which one to get.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    I had not seen that Ted Cash capper and that looks to be a real deal so I will get that one headed my way, Thanks for the link! Next time I order from Midway I also will get the inline that was suggested because they're so cheap I will get one as an extra to put in my gear bag, until now I just didn't know which one to get.
    I just remembered that the Ted Cash tear drop shaped capper will not work with pocket model revolvers. It works with the large frame revolvers. If I remember, there was not enough clearance to cap the nipple on the pocket models.

Boolit Master
    Some of the imported straight line cappers aren't deep enough to use American made caps. I have a couple of them and the only caps I can use in them are Italian ones.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been using the round Ted Cash capper for at least 15 years - and have two of them. The straight line capper works better on my rifle, the round better on my pistols, but mine are all full size.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I decided to order the Ted Cash capper despite it possibly not fitting the little Pocket Navy cylinder, I have the means to neatly modify the cylinder if needed to make more room and because of the nipple removal problem I was thinking of doing that anyway. I do however appreciate the heads-up about it likely not fitting.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used inline cappers, teardrop cappers and was frustrated by them jamming or being difficult to load. I bought a Universal Polish Capper and although it is a little spendy it is the best of the whole bunch.

Name:	polish capper.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	280466
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth-Vaj View Post
    I just remembered that the Ted Cash tear drop shaped capper will not work with pocket model revolvers. It works with the large frame revolvers. If I remember, there was not enough clearance to cap the nipple on the pocket models.
    Correct ! (at least on my pocket navy)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    Some of the imported straight line cappers aren't deep enough to use American made caps. I have a couple of them and the only caps I can use in them are Italian ones.
    conversely the American (taller) straightline capper is a pain with shorter caps - the caps tip over easily when you are loading it. I have one tall one for rifle and 2 cheap import ones that I like way better for pistol. Never had a Ted Cash capper (son has one) always thought it would be a pain standing all those caps up in it when ya filled it - son says DUH!! Dad, ya tip em in an they do it emselves - never knew that ............................................ grey hair disease I guess

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I have used inline cappers, teardrop cappers and was frustrated by them jamming or being difficult to load. I bought a Universal Polish Capper and although it is a little spendy it is the best of the whole bunch.

Name:	polish capper.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	280466
    I also ponied up for the polish version... shipping even to alaska was just a couple weeks... about the same from the lower 48... and the polish version holds a whole days worth of shooting and then some.. one of my best investments... here is mine...

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	280499

if your having troubles, this is the real deal. really gives you something to hang on to...

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    I had never heard of a Polish Capper until this thread. I will try it. My thanks to stubshaft and Markopolo.

The Ted Cash will not work on my 5 shot .31 Colt 1849 Pocket ..it hits the cylinder backing plate (yes even with the cut out) before the cap gets to/over the nipple

Bear

USMC 77, USRA 79

here is the link to the capper!!!

https://www.polishcappers.com/en/p/k...szt-kapiszonow
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned
    It seems the Polish capper will not work with the pocket models as well. It states on their website...

Banned
    I might buy that Polish Capper if anyone here can verify that it’ll work with the Uberti 1849 pocket model or the CVA .31 cal Remington Pocket model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast