Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Old shotgun press find....

Boolit Mold

Old shotgun press find....

Going through a huge lot of reloader equipment I picked up and found this old vintage shot shell loader. From what I researched, it’s an old and in excellent condition Lyman Vandalia press. Looks to be complete. Unfortunately there is no box or directions. Also found a couple old powder cans with it still containing powder. Just curious, does anyone still use one of these?

Boolit Buddy
    Nice find,they sure didn't skimp on the handle.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Buddy
    Those powder containers can't be too old, I still have powder that I use in cans like that.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    The Dupont can is 1975 or older as Dupont black powder was taken over by Gearhart & Owens in 1972 and smokeless went to IMR in 1975. Gearhart & Owens cans later were marked GOI and after they split up about 1979 the powder continued as Goex . The Red Dot container could also be from that era as I bought many pounds of their powder in the same cardboard cylinder up untill at least the 80's . Before that it was short square metal cans and the same in cardboard.
    Not sure about the Winchester since they used that same can for a good long while , not sure when they started or stopped but I'd guess it's about the same vintage.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Mold
    I’m sure those cans are from the 70s or maybe the very early 80s as I also got a pre 1982 Mec 600jr in the lot as well. The Lyman press is awesome find and actually pretty neat for being from the 50s or 60s. I plan on mounting it up on a shelf over my bench. I also got these cans as well. Most of them are full and sealed. I know some of these are not old but the ones that are definitely are still pretty cool to me. The hodgdon can are awesome. The full and sealed can of the 452AA is awesome and going to get used. I just need to get recipes.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    The rectangle Hodgdon cans are from the 70's most likely , I know they were using them in 1973 . The Winchester cans were 70's to 90's . Done some looking since the last post and it seems that the cone top Winchester 1 pounders were from late 70's to the 90's when they went to the plastic bottles. Nice haul !
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    The rectangle Hodgdon cans are from the 70's most likely , I know they were using them in 1973 . The Winchester cans were 70's to 90's . Done some looking since the last post and it seems that the cone top Winchester 1 pounders were from late 70's to the 90's when they went to the plastic bottles. Nice haul !
    Thank you for all the info! I plan on building a nice wooden shelf above my bench where I’ll mount this press with the older cans of powder and also some of the vintage shell and cartridge boxes I found in this lot. I love this vintage stuff. The open powders I’ll probably not use just for precaution of possible cross contamination or the possibility of the original owner just having a bad/off day and mixing by accident. But the sealed stuff is gonna get used for sure unless it has value staying sealed.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow, didn't realize, I've been reloading since the early 80's and buying up powder along the way and using it as needed, neat.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Grand Master
    That old press is in great condition. Nice find!
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice find.