Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Substitute powder question

Boolit Buddy
    The Benchmark load sounds interesting, I do have a little bit to try. It was out of stock also, along with 322,1680,4895 & 3031. I couldn’t seem to find an accurate load with 4198. As I stated earlier, I got the best groups with RL 7 but can’t find that anywhere. I was spoiled and only buying powder by the pound locally, playing with many different loads in 8 different cartridges. The 38/55 I am playing with now is an Encore with a MGM barrel.

So you're wanting to load up to hunting velocity? What's your bullet weight and what's the seating depth?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Look at the burn rate chart on the Western Powders site. It doesn't give a 1-X listing but groups the powders by mfg and characteristics. Much more info IMHO.

Burn rate charts are very, very limited. They do not, (cannot) for example, tell you the progressivity rate for a powder, nor do they tell you the total heat liberated per unit weight. There is a parameter in the Quickload model that relates to how much the burn rate is affected by pressure. Interior ballistics is not simple. It can't be reduced to a one-dimensional ranking in a burn-rate chart.
    Last edited by uscra112; 03-30-2021 at 08:13 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    So you're wanting to load up to hunting velocity? What's your bullet weight and what's the seating depth?
    I have 2 molds.both are listed as .379. The Lee is 250 gr. The NOE 235 gr. I powder coat both boolits. I have WW cases & starline. Can load .379 in starline, .377 in WW cases the Lee boolit loa 2.500 the NOE 2.430.

Overall length doesn't help unless I know the length of the bullet. What counts for the model is how much of the bullet is inside the case.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Overall length doesn't help unless I know the length of the bullet. What counts for the model is how much of the bullet is inside the case.
    Just measured cases.WW cases are 2.081 & Starline cases 2.078 Lee boolit extends .500 into case ,NOE .452 . Lee weights 250 gr. NOE 235 gr.

OK.

For the NOE 235 grain seated .452 deep, the model says that 34.0 grains of Benchmark gets you 1810 fps from a 20" barrel, peak pressure 28552 psi.

For the LEE 250 grain seated .500 deep, the model says 33.0 grains gets you 1766 fps at peak pressure 29581 psi.

Quickload cites the European MAP spec for max pressure, which is 34000 psi., so you have some headroom there.

FWIW 25.0 grains of 5744 puts you in the same ballpark.

Somebody mentioned using Dacron fiber filler for reduced loads. DON'T. The stuff melts instead of burning up, and getting that residue out of your cases and your gun is a royal PITA. Ask me how I know. I bought a cubic foot of KAPOK fiber years ago, which is far better. Since then I've migrated away from using filler at all, so I've got enough to share and then some.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you very much uscra112, that gives me another option to play with. Good to know about the 5744 load also. Ihsve been loading 5744 but in the 21 to 23 gr. Range. That program certainty is great. But, I am a 83 old that does not own a computer who relies on someone like you for help. Again thank you very much!

This is a page from ADI who is the original manufacturer of many powders sold under other brand names. It shows equivalency between powders that ADI makes (+/- 5%) simply put ADI makes it and different companies put their own brand on it. Very useful for finding an equivalent powder by a different manufacturer.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/powder-equivalents/

For example I saw Reloder 7 mentioned ADI makes (and sells it) as AR2207

Here are a list of what other powders are sold from the same source. with possibly minor differences in additives or coatings.
    H4198
    Reloader 7
    IMR4198
    W680
    Tu 2000
    N200 - Norma
    N130 - Vihtavuori

I also find their load data to be a useful source. One has to then use the equivalency chart to locate a powder sold here because the load data list the ADI name for it but they sometimes have loads I have found difficult to find. 303 Enfield 220 grain bullet was one that I recall. Guess those Aussies shoot a bit of everything through the Enfield so lots of loads.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/rifle/
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

You're welcome Yooper003. Wish we were closer; I could root out some RL-7 from the powder store for you. It was my choice for the 200 grain hunting load for my .35 Remington, but at 76 with some age-related handicaps I haven't any hope of carrying that Marlin into the woods again.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12