Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Air Fryer Chicken Wings (keto)

Air Fryer Chicken Wings (keto)

You have got to try these! Some things an air fryer just isn't well suited for but chickens definitely evolved to have their wings air fried.

Note that I'm still playing with the recipe so after tonight I might come back with an edit to update it.

Somewhere below I'll insert the recipe I used. There are 2 versions in it. I used the basic wings version and just salted them before frying. No flipping, just put them in the basket, set the controls, and let it go. They came out good. But I really dislike cleaning the basket and I know the wife will also (we ARE the dish washer). So tonight I have the other 1/2 of the package to cook and I'm not going to use the basket, just the tray lined with oil sprayed alum' foil.

I'm pretty sure the recipe was written by Cuisinart for their air fryer (the one we own). I changed absolutely nothing and it worked perfectly. I liked them, and the wife commented on how good they were.

I used fresh wings and cut them into the pieces myself, the tips made a stock for the dogs food. Recipe follows.

AIRFRYER CHICKEN WINGS, TWO WAYS
    Now enjoy chicken wings without stress or guilt!

INGREDIENTS
    Nonstick cooking spray

#1: Beer-Battered Chicken Wings:*
    2 pounds chicken wings, tips removed, drumettes and flats separated*
    ½ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
    ½ cup light beer
    ¾ teaspoon kosher salt

#2: Plain Chicken Wings:*
    2 pounds chicken wings, tips removed, drumettes and flats separated
    ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
    *Many wings already come separated into flats and drumettes but, if only full wings are available, be sure to remove the tips and separate into two pieces.

INSTRUCTIONS
    Place the Air Fryer Basket onto the Baking Pan. Spray the basket with the nonstick cooking spray. Reserve.

#1> If beer battering the wings: In a large bowl combine the flour and beer. Sprinkle wings with salt and put them into the bowl with the batter. Coat wings in the batter and transfer to the basket.

#2>If not beer-battering wings: Put the chicken wings into the basket. Sprinkle with salt.
    Put the assembled pan into Rack Position 2.

Set to Air Fry at 400°F for 20 minutes. Cook until golden and crispy.
    When chicken wings are done, toss immediately in sauce or add the toppings of your choice, such as butter, garlic, fresh herbs or spices.

*Chicken wings may also be purchased already cut. They are often referred to as "party wings" or "winglets."

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
    Nutritional information per wing section (plain): Calories 94 (39% from fat) • carb. 0g • pro. 14g • fat 4g • sat. fat 1g • chol. 39mg sod. 127mg • calc. 7mg • fiber 0g

Nutritional Information per wing section (beer-battered): Calories 106 (36% from fat) • carb. 1g • pro. 14g • fat 4g • sat. fat 1g • chol. 39mg sod. 127mg • calc. 7mg • fiber 0g
    Last edited by BJK; 03-28-2021 at 10:33 AM. Reason: for clarity

Boolit Master
    I'm addicted to kfc original

these folks pretty much figured out the 11 herbs and spices

https://dinnerthendessert.com/kfc-or...ecipe-chicken/

Farmer, I definitely love KFC chicken, but until I come out of ketosis, if ever*, I just saved your linked to recipe in my recipe directory. Thanks!

*My Drs who are involved in those sorts of things tell me to keep on doing what I'm doing. They couldn't be happier with what they see going on with my body.

Moderator Emeritus

Hard part of duplicating KFC is they use broasters(pressure fryers) that cook faster...

Going to be trying wings in the air fryer, I love buffalo wings so it will be naked wings!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Hard part of duplicating KFC is they use broasters(pressure fryers) that cook faster...
    !
    I have read about putting oil (instead of water) in a regular pressure cooker,, and getting the same results,,,,,,,

Hmmmmmmmmm,, who is adventurous??

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMk View Post
    I have read about putting oil (instead of water) in a regular pressure cooker,, and getting the same results,,,,,,,

I think I'd check with the manufacturer first. I can see all sorts of downside if it doesn't work. Water (chicken) added to 350° oil in a closed vessel sounds like a huge potential problem to me. Maybe KFC waits for the initial boiling off to slow down. That might work.

But what Farmer linked to doesn't use their cooking method, only the coating from what I remember. Yeah, I just checked, deep fried. I bet it could be duplicated in the air fryer or oven. Personally, I really dislike deep frying.

MaryB, tonight my wings will be getting some sriracha on them. I instantly started salivating at the thought. Buffalo wing sauce would definitely be good. (still salivating)

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    Farmer, I definitely love KFC chicken, but until I come out of ketosis, if ever*, I just saved your linked to recipe in my recipe directory. Thanks!

*My Drs who are involved in those sorts of things tell me to keep on doing what I'm doing. They couldn't be happier with what they see going on with my body.
    The KFC grilled chicken is also very good.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMk View Post

Only 2 pressure cooker brands I know of will let yu do this, American and Fagor. Both use a metal to metal seal, no rubber gasket. You need a LARGE pressure canner so you don't push oil up into your pressure gauge and out the steam vent. Going by memory but don't exceed chicken + oil depth of 1/4 the canner capacity.

That said I tried it in a Mirro with a rubber gasket. It works, its a giant pain to clean up after and the gasket degraded faster than normal from the much higher heat of oil at 350 degrees. I did it twice and decided pan or deep frying was less work!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Try Tyson's frozen buffalo wings (Sam's club). They are excellent and you just throw a bunch in the air fryer (frozen) and in a few minutes you have perfect seasoned crispy tender wings like from restaurants. Not fuss, no muss!

Wings do carry a load of fat under the skin, as does most chicken! KFC only multiplies that problem with the deep-fried/broasted coating that absorbs the cooking greases/oils like a sponge. I have KFC about every 6 months. It takes that long to purge the grease out of my system.

But like anything else that tastes lip-smakin' good, they are not good for you!!!!!!

An air fryer is good for reaheating almost anything without giving that horrible microwaved taste! Beef is especially subject to horrible warmed over flavors, but not in an air fryer. I reheated a 16 oz T-bone we had left over from the son's birthday party and 4 days later it was just on the brown side of medium rare (where it stared). Tasted excellent! Crispy on the outside and tender and moist on the inside with just a little pink left over.

Boolit Master
    To get really crispy airfry wings mix one part baking powder to three parts salt pepper to taste.

Put on sheet pan and sprinkle on let sit uncovered in the fridge overnight.

With all the small restaurants going out of business you might be able to find a used pressure broaster cheap. I could have got one for almost nothing last fall. I used to do all there hot and cold service work.