Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: erfurt kar 98 rifle questions

Boolit Bub

erfurt kar 98 rifle questions

i have afew questions for the mauser guys on here. i just bought a kar 98 mauser that has been sportered. older bishop stock that needs to be refinished, not to bad though. made in erfurt in 1915. been hot blued at some point. 8mm mauser caliber. it will be a week or two before i get the rifle, payment and shipping etc. from what i have read these are small ring mausers with large ring threads. i have never seen small ring with large ring threads. i know the turks used large ring w/ small shank thread. my question is i bought this rifle for the action and stock as being sportered the value for collectors is gone. are these good rifles to rebarrel to some other caliber? thought about a 257 roberts or 243 winchester. i dont have alot of money in the rifle. or should i just leave it 8mm mauser. the seller says the barrel rifling is pretty good. other problem may be if it is true that it is small ring which is 1.300 diameter w/ larger ring threads the walls are only about .100 or so thick so not much to drill and tap for scope mount. does anyone have any experience with the erfurt mausers or ideas. thanks

doug

Ive had a couple of 98A's both Erfurt, one I still have. I never added a scope because they were original. Leave it in 8mm. Remember the German army was using the Ss bullet in .323 so no need to worry about using current made ammo. Id leave it in 8mm. One of the best rounds ever and easy to cast for.

Boolit Master
    I have had a couple of Erfurt Mausers.
    I like them but they say they are not as strong of an action as the later Large Ring.
    But the Erfurt action makes a nicer lighter sleeker sporter rifle.
    I did make one into a .257 Roberts with a Adams Bennett barrel.
    It to had a Bishop stock that I found used and refinished.
    Since mine was not original when I got it , I drilled and tapped it for a scope and welded on a custom bolt handle.
    I think the 8x57 round is the most powerful round I would want to chamber that action in.

Boolit Bub
    i would not load any hot loads. just plinking and maybe a deer load. probably going to get it drilled and tapped for scope as well. will have to buy a mold and some dies for it.

doug

Boolit Grand Master
    My favorite .30-06 is on a 1918 Erfurt Kar98 action. It was probably built in the 1950's going by the parts that where used.

Is it as strong as a typical large ring 98? I don't think so, but it should be fine for a normal .473" head size. The 8x57 really isn't as big a dog as US factory loadings make it seem. I wouldn't build one into a belted magnum, but mine seems fine.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    robert, thanks for the info. i will be loading light loads mostly. probably going to get it drilled and tapped for scope because my eyes are not what they used to be. a little concerned about having it drilled and tapped based on how thin the front ring being a small ring w/ large threads. i see lots of rifles built into all kinds of calibers on erfurt actions, never seen one in person just pictures. i guess part of the problem wanting to build a nice rifle w/ mauser action is most are about 75-100 years old now. some are decent and some have so much pitting i would not want them. for what i am going to do with this rifle is plinking and maybe deer in the midwest. BTW my daughter has said she will show me how to upload photos. i will post pictures when i get get it.

doug

Boolit Master
    I picked up a 1915 Erfurt Kar 98 small ring at a yard sale that had been converted to 243 Winchester. It's kinda cool with the 1920 Versailles treaty reissue date on it and has the original stock that was cut down. Didn't come with a scope so I added an older Leopold 1x4 that I had on a .22. None of the serial numbers match but it's a fun gun to shoot. It's a lot lighter than most of my other mil surplus rifles and I think you would feel a noticeable recoil going with a heavier caliber. If you are planning to shoot cast then a larger caliber would be better. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frankenmauser 01.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	280388