Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load Data

Thread: Dirty Kitchen!

Boolit Master

Dirty Kitchen!

I've recently purchased a real LP gas wok cooker (I became tired of losing the hair off my arms using a fish fry cooker! )! I have a large covered patio I cook on/in a lot of time, so I decided to build a cooking station. I was describing my plans when a Filipino coworker said, "O, your making a dirty kitchen". She told how her mother had an outdoor kitchen and an indoor "clean" kitchen, and said it was quite common where she grew up. So now I have an offical dirty kitchen!

If you cook a lot of Asian dishes that use a wok I can't recommend a purpose made wok burner highly enough! I wish I had bought one years ago! Just don't try using it indoors!

Boolit Buddy
    Guy I work with has a outdoor Woodfired oven cooks a pizza 7 min.

Boolit Master
    When my oldest son entered the work force it was as a cook. One day he decided to make him a grilled cheese sandwich. The next thing is all the smoke detectors in the house are going off, the house is full of smoke and he's got this dumb look on his face and is saying, "I was doing what I do at work! "? You just can't cook like a restaurant in most home kitchens, because of the venting is inadequate. So we take it outdoors. I've noticed how outdoor gas griddles have become so popular, make that grilled cheese on the patio! Wok hei, you just can't get that without high heat, open flame, and a wok pan! A lot of chinese restaurants around here are doing hibachi grill. You pick out your ingredients, they cook them on a flat grill while you watch. You may as well cook it at home on an electric stove top, they should put in a wok station! Watching someone who really knows how to wok is amazing. Wish I'd bought a dedicated wok burner YEARS ago!

Would keep heat out of the house in summer too.

Boolit Master

Everything old is new again.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Here in rural New England we call them the summer kitchen. great place to can stuff also.

Moderator Emeritus

I have had an outdoor cooking area for ages, now building out an official one in the 12x16 foot shed off the deck... beer brewing will happen in it, the smoker will store in it to be rolled onto the deck as needed, 2 gas burners for canning to get that heat and humidity out of my kitchen in late August when it can hit 100 degrees outside... will have a sink with a drain board, smaller water heater(20 gallon or maybe a small on demand, beer brewing setup needs 30 amps at 240 volts so will have the power for it). Sticking one of my old TV's out there for brew sessions.

Going to be heated for winter use too, just have to decide how I am going to get water out there and not have it freeze. Might run the water line inside a super insulated heat duct from the furnace. Shed is well insulated with 6" in the walls, 12" in the ceiling. Floor is the only cold spot and no way to get under there to insulate that, would take way to much poured in foam...