Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Frustrated with my chamber cast.

Boolit Bub

Frustrated with my chamber cast.

Many members here have given me great advice as I’ve started playing around with my 45-120 over the last few days. Thanks for that.
    I cast the chamber last night using Certosafe, everything went fine and I was rather thrilled at how the cast turned out. Unfortunately I can’t seem to get a repeatable measurement on any part of the cast.
    Using high-end calipers or really nice micrometers, all measurements are really inconclusive.
    Even just getting an accurate measurement on what would appear to be the easiest surface, the free bore, it’s difficult. I’m getting A plus or minus of .002.
    Have other people experienced this sort of problem?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1957B61A-8AE7-4ACB-8301-6BDAFC7B7420.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	280272

Banned
    Its awful hard to take accurate measurements on a tapered surface .
    Short of investing in a surface plate , v blocks and a height gauge I'd say take a best guess at an average and call it good

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by redneck1 View Post
    Its awful hard to take accurate measurements on a tapered surface .
    Short of investing in a surface plate , v blocks and a height gauge I'd say take a best guess at an average and call it good
    Thank you, I’m wanting to get a new mold, and plan paper patch. Where does my final number come from when ordering a mold? The smaller number from in the lands, or the larger number of the bore?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jconley View Post
    Thank you, I’m wanting to get a new mold, and plan paper patch. Where does my final number come from when ordering a mold? The smaller number from in the lands, or the larger number of the bore?
    groove diameter
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    groove diameter
    Thanks.

Banned
    I think you might be better served asking up in the black powder paper patch forum .
    I happen to be fairly ignorant of the subject but I do believe a larger number of people subscribe to the bore diameter method of patching .

To much voo doo for me I'll stick with lubed lead

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by redneck1 View Post
    I think you might be better served asking up in the black powder paper patch forum .
    I happen to be fairly ignorant of the subject but I do believe a larger number of people subscribe to the bore diameter method of patching .

To much voo doo for me I'll stick with lubed lead
    Stupid me, I should pay closer attention before I run off at the keyboard, you are correct. as per "the Paper Jacket" book by Paul Mathews, page 21, "Paper patched bullets for use with smokless powder should have an unpatched diameter equal to or .0005 inch over the rifle's bore diameter." Prezactly as written.

conversely for black powder an unpatched bullet should be .004 - .006" smaller.

pm on the way to the OP.
    Last edited by oley55; 03-27-2021 at 05:53 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan