WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Flashing on the boolit base

Boolit Man

Flashing on the boolit base

Hi all,
    I just got done casting some boolits for the .45 acp, I’m useing an NOE .454-237 mould and size them to .452. After I sized them I noticed many had a very thin flashing on the boolit base. It’s almost like after they went though the sizer a very thin bit of lead not as thick as a piece of paper formed at the bottom edge of the boolit. I think I can easily remove it by very lightly rubing the boolit base on a sheet of sand paper, they’re so thin I don’t think it would take more than one or two passed to knock them off the boolit. My question is should I even remove them? And what causes them?
    People would rather beleave a lie than the truth
    David Crockett

Boolit Master
    What is your alloy and what sizer are you using?
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

What is the as cast bullet diameter? Seem like the alloy is very soft and bullets over sized, as cast. To much sizing down? This one is new to me.

Remove the thin flashing. It does not belong there.

NOE molds are regulated for wheel weights. WW are very soft compared to #2 alloy. The lead is going to move when sized.

In fact, on firing, i have seen a flat base 45 acp bullet base become deformed using soft alloys. No good for 50 yard accuracy.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 03-27-2021 at 10:41 AM.

Boolit Buddy

the most likely cause is the space between the sprue plate and mold which will allow a slight flange to form on the bottom. Sizing them moves the flange causing the condition.. if your bullets have good lube or powder coat they are not going to cause any issues as they are. Just my opinion as a 45 shooter...
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." -- Aesop

Boolit Man
    I’m using 9 lbs wheel weights and 1 lb 50/50 bar solder, the boolits come out of the mould at .4535, and .454. I’m sizing them right down to a .452, I have a .453 size die, maybe I should size them in steps, put them through the .453 size die first, then put them through the .452 size die ? And I’m using a Lee .452 size die.
    Thanks,
    Paul
    David Crockett

I would think its a sizing die problem? The start of the die may need more taper as the cast bullet enters? Sizing down .0025" is not a problem with my Lyman sizers. I have 1 new 9mm Lee sizer that has no problem sizing from .358" down to .3567"

Wait and see what others think, before modifing the die. Dies are hard to find these days.

You are lubing the bullets before sizing, in a LEE Die? Alox? Or someting else. I just sized some 9mm with RCBS 2 case sizing lube. Worked well. The RCBS lube washes off in water with a drop of Dawn. Need clean bullet for oven heat treating, water cool harding.

Do not use RCBS 2 as a bullet lube.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 03-27-2021 at 12:40 PM.

Boolit Man
    No, I’m sizing them dry, could that be the problem?
    David Crockett

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundogblue View Post
    No, I’m sizing them dry, could that be the problem?
    Mine do exactly what you describe when sized unlubed.

Yes. Sizing requires lube. Clean the sizing die well, to remove any lead build up. Prelube * sizing die before putting bullets in. Start over with lubed bullets.. The Alox is applied before and after sizing in a Lee die.

https://support.leeprecision.net/en/knowledgebase Enter in search "Alox"

Do not use RCBS 2 as a bullet lube.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 03-27-2021 at 12:38 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundogblue View Post
    Hi all,
    I just got done casting some boolits for the .45 acp, I’m useing an NOE .454-237 mould and size them to .452. After I sized them I noticed many had a very thin flashing on the boolit base. It’s almost like after they went though the sizer a very thin bit of lead not as thick as a piece of paper formed at the bottom edge of the boolit. I think I can easily remove it by very lightly rubing the boolit base on a sheet of sand paper, they’re so thin I don’t think it would take more than one or two passed to knock them off the boolit. My question is should I even remove them? And what causes them?
    9 lbs wheel weights and 1 lb 50/50 bar solder, ==== apr 12.7 bhn

It’s almost like after they went though the sizer a very thin bit of lead not as thick as a piece of paper formed at the bottom edge of the boolit
    is the flashing like lead was moved off the side of the boolit and formed a thin cup on the bottom? IF so are you seeing this on the lube grooves?

Lee sizing dies are known to run small in size, what size are your sized boolits?

Are you using the right-sized pushrod to size these boolits?

Your sizing die might be a little rough inside, try polishing it with fine-grit wet/dry sandpaper (800-1200 grit) or some fine polishing compound.