Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: PC only for REAL boolits?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

PC only for REAL boolits?

I am going to cast some 320 grain lee REAL boolits up using lead flooring with a BH of 5. I consider this alloy pure soft lead. I was thinking of powder coating them only... not applying any lube afterwards. I would assume this had been done before here. Have the people who tried firing PD’d black powder boolits have as good of accuracy or better than bare lead boolits with lube applied? Just figured I’d eliminate the messy lube.

Boolit Bub
    You need the lube to soak up the black powder fouling.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I am going to cast some 320 grain lee REAL boolits up using lead flooring with a BH of 5. I consider this alloy pure soft lead. I was thinking of powder coating them only... not applying any lube afterwards. I would assume this had been done before here. Have the people who tried firing PD’d black powder boolits have as good of accuracy or better than bare lead boolits with lube applied? Just figured I’d eliminate the messy lube.
    I tried it, but I also use a lived felt wad behind for softening the fouling

Interestingly enough, I got higher velocities with pc bullets than with the exact same load non pc

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Correct. PC is fine but in a BP you still MUST LUBE.

But your gonna find out first hand the definition of SINGLE
    SHOT.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Lube it is. I might pc them besides lube just for looks. Can u use the same lube I originally mixed up for cast? Don’t remember what’s all in it. Beeswax, Johnson’s paste wax, a crayon or two for color, and some kind of trans fluid conditioner as recommended on a recipe here it if remember. I also have a can of deer tallow I rendered.

Boolit Master
    Yes, you can use the same lube. For ML the lube is meant to keep the powder residue soft as well as lube the bullet. When I shoot PP bullets I use a lubed felt wad under the bullet to do that job.

Boolit Buddy
    Not that different from shooting paper patch and they manage without lube. But the statement above regarding the fouling is true. Most paper patch shooters find that wiping after each shot is a good regimen

I PC'd some Lee 255 gr 454 SWC and then sized to 451. I shot them with and without lube. I did wipe between shots lubed or not. Accuracy was fair but not spectacular. However, I was shooting only 45 guns of 3f. I have still to try higher charges. Also plan to PC some maxi balls too.

I casted up some 320 lee REALs with some pure lead flooring yesterday since it was raining all day. I will have to go through and cull. I see a few round bases and a few craters. I tried to tumble PC about a half dozen rejects just see how the PC didn’t want to stick to them on a rainy day. All I could fit into my lube pan got basted with lube. I remembered I reheated last time after pouring it on around the boolits for a better fill on. I might have to re heat the wax without melting my plastic lube tray. I still have a good dozen or more o couldn’t fit in the pan that might get PCd and then lubed. The 5 BH lead I used is so soft I figured it would get all scared up bouncing around from pc tumble coating so I just called it good with lube. I figure if my rifle doesn’t like them the lube will serve as a good flux when re melting.

Threw a pole out on bottom while doing so with a couple of worms I found crawling in the driveway and caught my first ice out fish for the year. Good sone channel cat that had a belly full of shad. I got lucky and it must have only ate live shad as the fillets smelled nice and fresh. I would say it had to be over 6 pounds of I had to guess. Sure beats pulling a perch which is usually my first fish of the year.

Sure threw me for a loop. Never thought I’d catch a catfish this early in the year!

I ordered up some 54 cal TC wonder lubed wads to try under the REAL boolits to see of there is an accuracy difference. I remember when I received my first muzzle loader back in 91’. It was an inline traditions 54 cal with a laminated stock. I never used a wad behind the power charge. I can remember accuracy was horrible. Maybe a wad over the charge might have helped?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-28-2021 at 09:20 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Wads often help. Prabably more times than they don't, especially if the accuracy isn't there.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    When shooting 'slugs' in my Lyman I use a card wad over the powder and then a lubed felt wad. Then the bullet, lubed or PP.