Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: New Guy’s First Melt - SOWW

New Guy’s First Melt - SOWW

Finally made time to make my first melt/ingots with some SOWW I captured a month or so back.
    Started the pot (4qt Dutch Oven) with a few handfuls until melted, then added/melted until I had approx. 40 lbs. Stirred sides/bottom and got all the trash to the top, added some sawdust along the way, and it came out real clean. My temp was actually better around 650. It all came real clean and yielded some nice ingots. I gotta practice a bit on my pouring into the ingot molds to properly fill each one. I actually had found a aluminum muffin pan and I really like it!
    I’ve read a lot and asked a few questions along the way. My next step is to use this pure lead, mix to arrive at an acceptable alloy, and begin practicing making bullets; 175gr. 10mm. After that, PC and shoot!
    Thanks so much for all the help from Cast Boolits! This is getting fun!

Boolit Master

be very careful with aluminium muffin tins, the lead will stick, your better off with stainless. always keep your temp around where your at just in case some zinc makes it through the sort.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Good advice! I tried a single muffin first and it went well. I had hand sorted the WW’s and was confident there were only lead. Another reason I kept the melt low. Thank you for the heads-up!

Boolit Buddy
    Try going to a second hand Store and look for cast iron baking molds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    be very careful with aluminium muffin tins, the lead will stick, your better off with stainless. always keep your temp around where your at just in case some zinc makes it through the sort.
    I have never had this problem with aluminum muffin pans. That is all I use and have avoided the steel ones. They can be a problem until they get a little rust or mold release on the surfaces.