WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logan 11x36 model 1957

Logan 11x36 model 1957

Thought I'd share my new toy. Someone at work had dibs on this and was keeping it in the shop for over a year. I had looked it over and thought it was junk. Well... after some youtube videos and seeing what a good value it is, I asked him if he really wanted it and he said take it and use it. Can't beat free for a decent american made lathe! The dang tailstock has more metal than my minilathe!

The thing is a mess but the ways are decent, bearings seem ok though will be regreased. Its 3phase but a VFD will take good care of that. The 1-3/8" spindle bore should let me screw up rifle barrels; also got the factory steady-rest but need a tool post. I'm excited about my "big boy lathe!"Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210326_193258.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	280239

Boolit Master

Congratulations, Logan is a pretty good lathe. You can still get parts from Logan Actuator.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I think you're going to want to use oil, not grease. The link is for the Logan Lathe group on Groups.io, where many of the groups that used to be on Yahoo are these days.

https://groups.io/g/loganlathe

Second link is to the Logan Lathe group that Scott Logan runs.

https://groups.io/g/Lathe-List

HTH!

Bill
    Last edited by Scrounge; 03-27-2021 at 01:45 AM. Reason: added a link

Boolit Master
    Looks to have the quick change gearbox. Way better than having to mess around with a pile of gears. Some kroil and 3m scotchbrite pads from Lowes or Home Depot in green, maroon,or even grey will clean up the ways and associated rusty parts quick. And LPS comes in 3 different spray cans of preservative oils and coatings. I use LPS #1 on my Jet lathe in the garage. LPS #2 is a little heavier than #1. And LPS #3 is sorts like the waxy coating you see on reamers, drill bits and end mills. Sprays on wet and dries to a waxy coating. Most industrial supply houses around here carry it. Check some of the ones in your area. Good stuff. I stupidly sprayed WD-40 on a surface plate I have.Dried to a varnish coating. Some LPS #1 and a maroon piece of 3m scotchbrite pad took it all off. So sprayed the #3 LPS on it. No rust after a couple years. So just spray some LPS #1 let it sit for awhile and some scotchbrite when I use it. Darn surface plate weighs about 70 pounds so only drag it out when needed. Guy I bought it from had a whole 20' storage container full of them. Whopping $20 what it cost. Frank

Oh yeah, part of the decision to pick it up was the support out there for logans. Its great Scott still supports what his grandfather started; unheard of today.

Thanks for the tips guys, already have the apron apart, yuk!

Alfadan, sending you a PM
    Dennis

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats. Best of luck with her.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a Logan 820 in my shop for better than 20 years. Love it! Parts available from several online sources and the availability of new stuff to retrofit is great. I've gone to QC tool posts and a myriad of tail stock tooling. I gained a full set of collets early on as well as many nice chucks. Nothing like having a full sized lathe in the shop. You won't know what you did without it.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    I would love to have a Logan 11x36 but for now I'm making do with a 10x24 Atlas. The 3/4" through hole is a real pain.

Banned

Very nice!

Alphadan, here's a picture of those parts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020411.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	280483

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I would love to have a Logan 11x36 but for now I'm making do with a 10x24 Atlas. The 3/4" through hole is a real pain.
    Look at it from the other side. It's got a longer bed than an HF 7x10. Ya got off light!

Bill <--- has and loves his Atlas 10x24. Also a 7x10, and if he ever gets to work on it, a 10x30 SB Heavy 10L with 1-3/8" hole through the spindle. And somebody dumped a Smithy 12x20 3-in-1 machine in my workshop. 1.03" spindle through hole in the lathe part of that. Probably 3/4" in the mill spindle, as it's MT3, so about the same size as an Atlas or HF 7x spindle. Also a tiny shaper and a couple of tiny milling machines. I've been seriously collecting machine tools for 13 years, now. I've acquired most of them in the past 6 years. Keep your eyes open, and talk to people, and you never know what will pop up out of the brush.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Look at it from the other side. It's got a longer bed than an HF 7x10. Ya got off light!

Bill <--- has and loves his Atlas 10x24. Also a 7x10, and if he ever gets to work on it, a 10x30 SB Heavy 10L with 1-3/8" hole through the spindle. And somebody dumped a Smithy 12x20 3-in-1 machine in my workshop. 1.03" spindle through hole in the lathe part of that. Probably 3/4" in the mill spindle, as it's MT3, so about the same size as an Atlas or HF 7x spindle. Also a tiny shaper and a couple of tiny milling machines. I've been seriously collecting machine tools for 13 years, now. I've acquired most of them in the past 6 years. Keep your eyes open, and talk to people, and you never know what will pop up out of the brush.
    Welp there's my problem. I dont like people as most are idiots. Except for here of course

Super Moderator

...........Good deal and if the bed wear in front of the headstock isn't too bad you can do some good work with it. I have a ton of foto's I've apparently lost since FotoTime seems to have burnt down I have a Logan (actually PowerMatic since they bought Logan) 11x48" with an infinitely variable speed drive. It has an LOO spindle nose, which is great but no longer so popular as it used to be at one time. It'll take a bit of use, but you'll eventually find out all it's idiosyncrasies
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Welp there's my problem. I dont like people as most are idiots. Except for here of course
    Try some of the metalworking groups on groups.io. Not everyone there is smart, but they're not all stupid, either. Or at least not completely stupid. And if you can do rifle barrels on a 7x10, you can certainly do them on a 10x24 Atlas. Having been stupid at least once in my life, I can't throw stones anymore.

Bill

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Try some of the metalworking groups on groups.io. Not everyone there is smart, but they're not all stupid, either. Or at least not completely stupid. And if you can do rifle barrels on a 7x10, you can certainly do them on a 10x24 Atlas. Having been stupid at least once in my life, I can't throw stones anymore.

Bill
    I joined a few of those groups and enjoy reading the daily comments. Like that they come to my mailbox.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I personally like most Dogs more than I like most People. Pretty much for the same reasons as you.

Present Company Excepted

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I personally like most Dogs more than I like most People. Pretty much for the same reasons as you.

Present Company Excepted

Randy
    Most dogs are much better than most people. A dog is the only love money can buy. You treat a dog half decently, and they'll love you unreservedly. My dog is the only person here that is always glad to see me. My favorite prayers is "Dear God, let me be the person my dog thinks I am."

the ways look ok except some dings from "uncooperative" parts. I have the apron and saddle all cleaned up. Next up is tailstock and headstock/backgears.
    The more I look this over, these seem to have some really nice features for a small lathe with good engineering. Old American iron is so nice. Lathe.com says the original cost was $249 which is $2400 now!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfadan View Post
    the ways look ok except some dings from "uncooperative" parts. I have the apron and saddle all cleaned up. Next up is tailstock and headstock/backgears.
    The more I look this over, these seem to have some really nice features for a small lathe with good engineering. Old American iron is so nice. Lathe.com says the original cost was $249 which is $2400 now!
    From what I know, that was pretty cheap. Atlas lathes were cheaper, as they used ZAMAC in a lot of the internals. Gears and such. All other things being equal, I'd probably rather have a Logan, but I've only ever seen them in photos. When I found my Atlas TH42 (10x24) it was the first Atlas I'd ever actually seen with my own eyeballs. $750, and I didn't even try to bargain with him. I still have the piece of 3/8" ply it was mounted on, and the chuck is about .012 out. I bought it a Shars 6" 4-jaw chuck and a AXA-clone quick-change tool post right off the bat. Rocker was missing from the lantern tool post. About $280. It will use much of the stuff I bought for the little HF 7x10, though I need different backplates for the chucks, and I don't really need to use any of them yet. Good to go, so far.

Careful use of a fine arkansas stone, or an india stone if you have one, can remove the bumps around any dents or dings. If you must. I'd wait until you start using it before worrying about that. I've got to find or build a tank for my SB 10L bed so I can finish the restoration.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast