Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Excursion with the youngest Grand daughter , and a new problem I have never had.

Boolit Master

Excursion with the youngest Grand daughter , and a new problem I have never had.

I am watching my youngest grand daughter Felicity. She is cute as a bug in my unbiased opinion. She is 6 and knows her own mind, which is sometimes amusing ... and sometimes not so much. Any way, while her mother is mending from an accident which broke her ankle in several places and required surgery, we have had a pretty wonderful time hanging out. My wife is over at their house helping out.Today we visited several gun shops and Cabelas and Dunhams. Her comment was she didn't know there were so many gun stores and I told her that there were actually very few. It's a matter of perspective. So , Dunhams had some 45 type pistols for a lot of money and some of those Wrangler 22 Rugers, no ammo at all That I saw. So we left. Cabelas had quite a few pistols and revolvers but nothing too interesting to me. They still have 2 of the Swiss 1911 rifles for $400. Last time i was there last week I picked up a can of 700X powder For less than $25 but no primers. Today I ,just on a whim, asked if there were any small pistol primers and the counter man said " We had some yesterday for about 2 hours but none are left. " So they do get them, I will look again next Thursday. While we were in the neighborhood I picked up some strings for the old git box at Guitar World. I was happy to see that they have survived so far into the current crisis. Then we went to an indoor range to look around and they had a couple of 10/22s and 77/44 Rugers and an old Winchester 72, bolt rifle , 22, with a tube magazine. This was interesting to me and I may go back to see if someone else bought it. There was aalso a Western Field 12 ga pump with a fractured butt stock for $99 which tempted me, Like I need another project. So then we went down to St Charles to a shop there where i have seen and passed on some deals I should have grabbed. They had a lot fewer guns there than I have ever seen. And they had Bullseye and one can of Unique. I got the Unique. I would have gotten a can of Bullseye too but there was a one to a customer sign up on the wall. And then i saw a Ruger single six 22/ 22mag revolver for a fair price I thought. Nice shape , pretty grips. Made in 2003, Paper work and box intact even the fired casing was there. So I asked to see it and knowing that the next time i was through there it would be gone ... I bought it. I really wanted a shooter but upon looking it over I could see that it was shot very little and there is gold filled lettering on top of the barrel and the grips are rosewood and the Ruger eagle has a red background. I think I may have stumbled onto a collectible specimen . So there is the problem I have never had before. Even though it has been shot do I dare shoot it more at the risk of down grading its value. I Looked them up in completed deals and unfired ones go for $600, This one has been fired and there is a faint drag mark on the 22 LR cylinder. So it is a collectible gun or is it now already a shooter with gold lettering and rosewood grips and a red background on the eagle medallion?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1160.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	280234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1159.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	280235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1157.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	280236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1156.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	280237

After that we came home and cooked hamburgers and ate them. Said our prayers and went to bed. It was a good day!!
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Sounds like a good time. My grand daughter in 16 so we have gone from me taking her to her taking me. We still have fun.

That single six is a 50 year anniversary gun. I have one still in the protective paper in the case that I got when they came out in 2005.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

If its been shot before, i’d say shoot that sucker....why save it for the next guy?? ��

Boolit Master
    They're young yet but we're pumping my 50 yo Crossman BB gun.
    Isn't that where we all started? Sights and trigger.
    Didja know the Brits banned BB guns?

Go ahead and have the fun of shooting it. Teach that Granddaughter how to shoot it and maybe one of these years you get to pass the gun down to her and she has the memory of going with Grandpa and buying that revolver that is now hers.

Boolit Master

Personally, I don't own a firearm I can't shoot. I have seen many firearms purchased as some bicentennial or commemorative, etc. 20 years later, price on them are basically the same. Why bother, unless there is something special about it for you.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Shoot it. I agree with the others. Make that your granddaughters gun and take her with you whenever it ventures to the range. When she’s old enough pass it on and it will be a lifelong memory for her.

I remember my dad buying a k22 and a k357 SW revolver from a friend when I was around your granddaughter’s age. We went down to the pond and shot them and had a great day( my first shooting memory). Years later when my wife wanted to learn to shoot I asked Dad to borrow a gun to teach her and said sure come on over. When we arrived both were ready with transfer papers into my name. He’d been waiting to give them to me for some time. A memory that will last my lifetime and a story I love to tell.

A story with grandpa is worth just as much if not more.

Also, I keep forgetting your up that way, I’m in your neck of the woods at least twice a week. You guys really did have a day traveling around hitting all those places.

Boolit Master

Good thoughts. I bought it at shooter price so I/we will shoot it. Also, I have the High Standard dura-matic that my grandfather bought in 1967 on one of our trips to the hardware store where he lived. A gun is a tool/ toy to be used, a memory is to be cherished.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Congratulations on making a great memory! Shoot the pistol and both of enjoy it.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    Go ahead and have the fun of shooting it. Teach that Granddaughter how to shoot it and maybe one of these years you get to pass the gun down to her and she has the memory of going with Grandpa and buying that revolver that is now hers.
    This, exactly this. Teach her to shoot it and when she turns 18 gift it to her.
    You will live forever in her memory. And that is a pretty nice thing to look forward to.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Shoot it, there are thousands (most ever made) that will never see sunlight, too many to ever command much of a premium.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Moderator Emeritus

Shoot it. But take care of it. If you keep it the same condition it's in now, except the faint line getting a little less faint, the value won't be lessened.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I'm in agreement with shooting and enjoying the new Ruger. Post#7 brought back memories if my K22. I was a wee lad when be traded a 30-30 and $50 for the 5 screw Smith. It was the neatest, and most awesome gun I bad ever seen. Gift if to her. She will treasure it as I treasure my K22.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    As a Ruger collector,, I can attest to the fact that the value of that gun, if used & properly cared for won't decrease. That model, was made in enough quantities, that it's not really a collectable. And the red background isn't uncommon. It's been used on several models.

Use it & enjoy it.

Boolit Master

It is no longer NIB, shoot that thing.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I can remember my Dad trading in a beautiful vintage Winchester 94 32 special on one fo the Winchester '66 Centennials that came out in 1966. He thought it would appreciate quickly, becoming,e a collector's item, etc. I would much rather have had the vintage 32 spl. 94. At the time I settled the estate - my brother wanted it and he took it. Every company puts out "commemoratives" of one type or another and most seem to go nowhere as far as appreciating greatly.

You got a nice Ruger . . . shoot it . . enjoy it . . and at some point when you are gone and maybe that grand0daughter ends up with it, it is going to mean more to her because it was "grandpa's" - to because of the value of it whatever it may be.

Boolit Master

Shoot it WITH her, tell her it's hers, put her namel on the box now so she'll have no doubt that when she visits she can shoot HER gun . You just keep it clean and fed for a few more years ! My 10 yr. old grandboy already has a couple rifles, but you got me thinking he needs a handgum - one of those 3/4 size Browning 1911's in .22 maybe ?

Both if my grandkids have Ruger Wranglers, that they shoot and will eventually own. They are setup with holsters too....all my guns will go to the grandkids, they are in the trust.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot my 357 Mag 50yr all the time. Shoot and enjoy it. If you were closer and teaching your lovely granddaughter how to shoot a revolver using the Single Six, which I 've used mine to teach many novice shooters, I'd spot you a 500rd box to get her going.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot my 357 Mag 50yr all the time. Shoot and enjoy it. If you were closer and teaching your lovely granddaughter how to shoot a revolver using the Single Six, which I 've used mine to teach many novice shooters, I'd spot you a 500rd box to get her going. I have more 22lr than I think I'll ever shoot up.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum