WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: First Lead Purchase

Boolit Mold

First Lead Purchase

I acquired recently near 400lbs of lead from a local source and was curious as to your thoughts on the materials. I have not done any casting yet but wanted to stock up in case the Commander in Thief and company decides to do anything drastic in regards to lead via EPA or BATFE. I acquired lead wire which I am told was pure lead and also weirdly some bullet cores someone had dropped off. They were there along with the copper casings I imagine were meant to be swaged into FMJ bullets.

I am looking to reload military surplus moving forward as well as blackpowder rifles in the form of round ball and mine ball. Should I be using the soft lead for black powder stuff and the presumably harder cores for my mil surp loads? I have no way of testing hardness so this was just based off me attempting to dig my finger into them both. I would appreciate any information yall may be able to provide. Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Soft lead for the Round ball and mini ball/bullet, a little tin or solder helps with fill out. Probably will need harder alloy for mil surp loads. In the area of the hardness of Clip On Wheel Weights.