Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: .30-40 Krag

Boolit Buddy
    I have an 1896 Krag infantry rifle in original configuration, and in excellent condition. Surprisingly has a bore that mikes at .308". It's good shooter with cast boolits, except that the 1896 sights have no windage adjustments. I've never fired jacketed bullets in it.
    I have only a few dozen .30-40 cases, so lots of my reloading is done with resized .303 cases, which seem to work just fine.

Y'know, Graf has had .30-40 brass in stock right along. Still does:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/73152

Not expensoive, either.
    Cognitive Dissident

Congratulations, fgd135, you have a treasure indeed. Not so many full length rifles remain, as so many were modified into sporters. A .308" bore is a big plus. You can swap out your issue sight for a windage adjustable model as the screw holes were the same distance apart on all of them, but like everything else Krag the sights have become expensive for a nice one. Yes, .303 and .30-40 are pretty close, and using .303 is pretty common as the availability of .30-40 brass seems to come and go. I have 4 full length rifles. One original, one I built completely from parts when they were less expensive and more readily available, and two that had cut down stocks but the barrel remained original. I "stretched" the stocks by adding a piece of wood with the joint being under the rear barrel band. Nothing quite like a Krag....the action is very unique.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	im004457.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	290873

DG

Boolit Master
    that is a nice shot, pun intended, of 8 nice weapons, 30/40's.!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I have wanted a Krag for some years now(I am 79) but just did not have the money when I was younger with a growing family. I walked into my local gun store today to buy a RCBS .224 case trimmer pilot and 2 steps inside the store my eyes locked onto a Krag sitting in a side gun rack with a bunch of pretty sad cases that had been traded in but were not deemed fit to sit in the long display racks behind the long counter. Picked it up and was really surprised at the condition. Original blue and no rust anywhere. Stock has seen better days but no cracks or gouges or dents. And it is a Carbine. I bought the RCBS pilot and left to go home. Got home and just could not get that little Krag off my mind. 30 minutes later I was getting dressed to go back to the store. Went back to the store, took my bore light and checked out the bore and it has strong rifling and I saw no pits or evidence of rust in the grooves. Now, barring a disaster between now and Monday evening, I will be the proud owner of that little Krag, with some ammo thrown into the deal(I don't know how much ammo yet).. Depending on tax, it will come in around $500.00. The deal has not been completed as yet. The store owner has some medical problems and will not be back to the store until Monday. So I can't get possession until then anyway. I will be a nervous wreck until Monday evening. james
    That kind of shape sounds like a fine deal. It's being held for you though right??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

The best way to find a nice one is to buy a "sporterized one. After looking for a long time for an unmolested Krag, I gave in and bought a Bannerman. It was nice enough, but it was in a converted 1903 Springfield stock and was re-barrelled with one off of a 1903 Springfield as well. It still shoots very good. Within a year I found three original Krags,
    a 1896 and two 1898s.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Usually the way it works, when you stop looking things fall in your lap. My first was a bubba’ed up Krag that loosely resembled an NRA Krag but wasn’t. My second was a correct 1899 School rifle with the turned down muzzle and properly ‘C’ stamped rear carbine sight. One of my favorite rifles.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234