Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: F.A. Hand deprimer tool

Boolit Mold

F.A. Hand deprimer tool

I have what I assume is a Frankford Arsenal 1917 hand deprimer tool. A 30-06 case fits nicely. I was not able to find much about these tools online. Any info would be nice.
    Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D5965F1B-D00B-4A90-AC9A-EF433F086081.jpg   76E694AE-2D99-4882-B8FE-4FBD75DC6706.jpg  

USMC 77, USRA 79

wow... it sure is cool!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I have several, and use them all the time. Yours only de-primes, and they made another version with a threaded knob, that was located in the primer hole. Unscrew it out a few turns, and it left clearance for the spent primer to be pushed out. Thread the knob in, and you could seat a new primer, but you had to change out the rod with the decapping pin, with the flat faced priming rod.

I think some were used by NG units to de prime their practice ammo, before they turned it in, to be reloaded into gallery rounds. Seems I read something to that effect somewhere.

One version I have is serial numbered, and dated 1905, and US marked with inspector's initials S.H. Another serial 88 and O.M.L., no date.
    My example like yours is completely unmarked.

Boolit Master
    If you have an old Dixie Gun Works catalog, they used to show them for sale. they might have a little history about them.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the reminder about Dixie Gun Works. I do have an old copy or two lying around.

Boolit Mold
    My tool is marked with H.K.R. as well as several several numbers. They don’t show up well at all in the pics. The numbers I assume are manufacturing numbers.

Banned
    Some decap only, some have a capper provision. Some have a fixed head, some have a head the pivots to one side for easier case insertion/removal. They were furnished in a fitted wooden case with all accessories necessary. I need to figure out where I put the pictures of the case.
    Many were made for the rifle and pistol of that era so several calibers are out there.

But RJJR is correct, not much writing has been done to describe them. I covered them a bit in last spring's Journal.
    Ken
    Last edited by Pressman; 03-25-2021 at 06:39 PM.

Banned
    This tool set is for the 1906 30 Government and 1911 45 ACP cartridges. It has the pivoting head.
    After firing the case was to be immediately cleaned in water by inserting the funnel in the case mouth folled by the brush. The funnel only protects the brush from damage.

The little round object between the handles is the decapper for 45 caliber. There is a spare pin chamber under the brass door.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8617.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	280169

Boolit Grand Master
    So with this setup, the WW I doughboy could decap and perhaps even recap 30-06 cases from the enlisted men’s 1903 Springfield and 1917 Enfield rifles as well as officers’ 1911 Colt auto pistols and 1917 Colt and S&W revolvers. All in one compact wooden box. They did things right back then!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"