WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Webleys and Enfields

Boolit Master

Webleys and Enfields

I've always been mildly interested in these old revolvers and the .38 S&W, or 38/200. I've been in the process of getting rid of a lot of my stuff and making some money in the process. It only seems fair to use a little of it to buy a couple things I've been looking at for a long time, but never bought.

The other day I noticed a Webley Mk IV in a pawn shop. The finish is not pretty, but it seems OK mechanically and the bore looks fine. The serial number dates to the early '50s. The grips are wrong. $500 seems high for condition, but I really don't know much about them. All else being equal, I'd rather have one from WWII.

I'm not in a hurry. I'm in the learning stage right now. I do think I'll look around and eventually find one though. I'm less concerned about finding a "great deal" than I am about finding what I want. Any opinions on what to look for?

On a related note, I've always had it in the back of my mind that I'd like to have a S&W Model 31. I just bought one a few days ago.

If you want one from WWII, hold out for that, and be an informed consumer.

I'd periodically check the auction sites to see what they are going for.
    Then check in on places where they might be found, and keep an eye out for one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Network lag time dupe deleted.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-25-2021 at 09:55 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The WW2 ones bring high collector prices, but most guns have seen heavy use and may have mechanical issues. The postwar guns made for Israel are usually in better shape, are more affordable. The former Israeli police revolvers , and are also sighted for common 146-grain commercial ammo, which is a plus.

Attachment 280132
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the Big Boy .455 Webleys but the MK IV's and the Enfields don't razz my tazz. The 38 S&W does nothing for me, though I would like a Bankers Special. Right now, though, everything is high. Yesterday at my LGS, I saw a Colt OP 38 that was $450 a month and a half ago, now is "worth" $550. So I guess $500 Obama dollars might not be too far out of line for a clean Webley. I'd offer them $400.00 cash out the door and belabor the odd-ball caliber aspect of the deal and see if they bite.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

So for comparison purposes, when I checked the numbers on mine, it came back as a production date in '44 (maybe '43)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150822_085437.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	280172

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150822_085641.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	280173

So, in WWII, they stamped them "WAR FINISH", which I always got a kick out of. I mean, we have Great Britain, fighting for its life out there off the coast of Europe against the Continental Tyrant of the age, yet they were plucky enough to stamp the guns as if to say, "We're in a bit of a tight spot right now, and we're putting this stamp on the guns so that people will know from now until the ending of the world that is NOT how we of Webley and Scott normally do business".

But it IS possibly a gauge of what you want in a revolver. The post war guns are probably prettier, but if you just happen to have a Spitfire MKI parked in your garage, you simply NEED the right accoutrements.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Yeah, I think I'll hold off for a bit, and wait for the right one to come along. I've done a little reading up on the subject and learned a few things. I think I'll check around at gun shows whenever they start having them again. It's definitely not a need, just a want, and not terribly high up on the want list either.

So I guess $500 Obama dollars might not be too far out of line for a clean Webley. I'd offer them $400.00 cash out the door and belabor the odd-ball caliber aspect of the deal and see if they bite.
    The one I looked at, at the pawn shop, wasn't really very "clean". I'd say the finish was maybe 20% at best, far more "patina" than finish, and the grips were wrong. They were well-fitting wood grips that didn't look out of place, but when I started looking at photos on-line, I could see that they were probably some home-made replacements and not original. The lockup felt a bit loose, but from what I read online, apparently that's pretty normal for the Mk IV. The bore looked nice and clean.

Boolit Buddy

Bought an Enfield a few years ago and finally got it out last year and loaded for it, sized the boolits to .364. Pretty impressive with the 38 S&W 200. Double action only no hammer spur. Shooting offhand at 30' put 4 out of 6 in a 3" circle, considering this probably has a 15 pound pull trigger,with 74 yr old arthritic trigger finger. My neighbor brought his grandfathers Webley 455 over so I could work up some loads for it, shaved for the 45 acp cartridge/moon clips. The barrel slugged .452 so worked up loads, ran a couple hundred rds through it was fun to shoot. All I have ever seen always had the screw heads buggered because some one used the wrong size driver tips. If they were to make new ones today, would definitely buy one. There is something about the rugged look that appeals to me.

Boolit Master

I stopped by the shop today, and asked if they were open to offers. Nope. It's a seller's market and they won't even listen to offers right now. The price is the price, take it or leave it. That seemed odd for a pawn shop. I realize guns are scarce right now, but are people so desperate that they're buying clunky obsolete revolvers in a round that's hard to get even in normal times?

I left it. I'm patient; I'll wait.

Banned
    The availability of firearms seems to be improving a bit but ammunition and components remain in short supply. If a seller is holding out for top dollar (which is not unusual considering tax refunds and stimulus checks are burning holes in customer's pockets right now), you may be better off waiting.
    If you ask a seller if they are open to offers, the answer will most likely be no. If you simply make an offer you are more likely to get some movement in price.

Say, "I'll give you "X" for that item". They can say no, they can say yes or most likely they will make a counter offer.

Boolit Master

I found a good one, I think. I picked up an Enfield No 2 Mk I** on Gunbroker. It's in decent condition and cost me around $350 all together, including shipping and transfer. The seller had fuzzy photos, an inaccurate description, and an auction ending time early in the morning, all of which contributed to a good deal, I think. I took a chance and am very happy with it.

I went out to the range this afternoon, and shot a couple dozen of my very limited supply of old .38 S&W ammo. The trigger took me a little to get used to, but it shoots fine- six shots in the 2" bull at 10 yards. That's nothing special for marksmanship, but shows promise.

Now I just need to get a good set of molds for it.