Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: anyone try powder coating after installing gas checks?

anyone try powder coating after installing gas checks?

I have a rifle mold that takes gas checks, but when I powder coat them the gas checks are super hard to get on(squareing up and seating). If I don't powder coat they go on easy as pie.anyone ever try powder coating after gas checks are installed with any luck?

Only way I do it.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I sometimes use Lee case lube for sizing when applying gas checks because it is very water soluble I can rinse the bullets with boiling hot water with a quick pour over and dump. Then dry with a blow dryer. This approach comes into play when I have a bullet that is "fat" and getting sized down more so it doesn't go through the sizer easily without some lube on every 3rd or 4th bullet.

I also depending on size desired will size a second time after applying PC and sometimes not depending on if I desire the extra thousandth or so diameter that the PC added. I find a chamfer tool from NOE very useful both to break the edge before applying gas checks and for removing excess PC flash that is sometimes on the bottom edges when I go to load the bullets.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I usually PC after installing gas checks.

Boolit Bub
    Check out NOE they make a gas check expander that’s exactly used for the issue you’re having. I powder coat then apply the gas checks. For some reason with Hornady checks you’ll have to expand them to fit on the base because of the built in crimp. But, if you use sages outdoor gas checks you won’t have to expand them they’ll slip right on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    For me it depends on the size of the shank, if the checks are too loose I'll coat first, if they fit uncoated, I'll install the checks and then coat.
    Last edited by bdicki; 03-26-2021 at 01:40 PM.

"roger dat" great idea with the champher tool.

"jsanch08" those look great. That's what I'm hoping mine will look like.

"targa" Got a pic of one of those pc after checked bullets?

I guess it's time to get some home lube going.

Boolit Bub
    I should clarify that the checks I use come in different sizes directly from sages. Attached are the ones I chose and work for me without having to expand them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    PCing after the GC is installed works. You might want to resize again afterwards.

Boolit Master

No doubt a PC'd boolit with a shiny GC on the end sure look good, but once they are shoved into the case...????

I GC'd after PC-ing and it did NOT go well at all (long story) and I doubt I will try that again. Besides I've seen comments saying PC over the GC will help keep the GCs from falling off.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I attach GC with an NOE sizer, PC, then size again. PC doesn't adhere well to the GC, but that's of no consequence.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

I went to the range today and got to shoot off some checked boolits that I powder coated after installing the checks,and it went alot better.I had decent accuracy/recoil and a happy shooter I am for sure.I did have one check fall off while I was tumbling the powder coat on but I think I made around 500 so thats awsome.

Boolit Master

I have done both, but started by making a jig with fender washers for 30 cal boolits, and ESPC. As far as 'shake and bake' I make my own gas checks and have several different thicknesses of Amerimax Flashing to deal with some molds with a thick shank or some made thicker by ASBBPC.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    I size and gas check before coating then resize after.

It does not take that long.

Boolit Buddy
    I put a dot of super glue on the GC, attach to boolit, powder coat, size, load, shoot. Why resize twice? And we all know how a bullet looks directly affects how accurate it is......