Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loose barrel

Boolit Master

Loose barrel

My son Has a new heritage 22 which the barrel is loose. He got it about a year ago.It’s the 5.5 in barrel. I don’t know if he has the mag cyl or not. I took off the tube and ejector rod thanking that was what was loose. I took it off and just unscrewed the barrel. I tightened the barrel back up and put the ejector rod and tube back on. It seems tight, haven’t shot it yet. Should I use some type of lock tight like blue that’s not permanent or a anti seeze like on ar barrel/ receiver. Just wondering what to use thanks
    Last edited by Jniedbalski; 03-24-2021 at 04:42 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Should make a decent fishing sinker, that is as long as you tie onto something that won't fall off!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I would send it back if it were mine. When barrels are put on a gun and aren’t pinned, the threads are “crushed” to hold them in place. If this gun’s barrel came off that easy it was probably over-torqued by someone (or some untrained factory person) and then passed on to you. At least call the factory and ask them what to do with it. I’d be very surprised if they didn’t ask you to send it to them to fix.

Boolit Man

I saw this on a friend's heritage about 10 years ago. I call them and they declined to fix it. That gun is likely a paperweight, at best. If the barrel stays tight, I would still shoot it, though.
    Let's go Brandon!

I'd have no qualms at all about using medium or even high strength threadlocker on it. Loctite 262. (Red) There shouldn't be any reason to ever take that barrel off again, but if you just had to, heat to about 300 F. will soften it.

The old-timer's trick, (pre-Loctite) was to use #2 Aviation Form-a-Gasket, and wind a bit of sewing thread on it before reassembly. Messy. Gotta have some paint thinner handy to clean up the excess.

A guy in the ASSRA swears by Teflon pipe-sealing tape. Never tried it myself.
    Last edited by uscra112; 03-24-2021 at 06:45 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    At Ruger and also at Remington the blue, "service-removable" Loctite 242 [or today's equivalent] was used when installing barrels to avoid putting stress on the threads, and to keep them from coming loose. Works fine, and by applying a little heat you can readily remove the barrel if there is a need.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

JB Weld that thing back together. I tried one and the easily removed barrel bothered me less than the keyholing bullets on target. Perfect ratshot revolver, though.
    Some folks have good luck with them, I didn't. Enter Ruger Wrangler....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Blue Loctite would be fine and would allow easy removal if ever desired. If the chamber alignments are as bad as on my granddaughter's, you may want to line bore them oversize and sleeve them first.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    I really don’t know anything about it. He said it didint shoot good right after he got it. I asked him what’s wrong with it . He said besides not accurate he thinks the bbl was loose. Well he finally brings it over for me to look at. The barrel is tight for now. Going to go out and shoot it to see how it does. It’s brand new he only shot it a few times and put it back in the box. It’s a nice looking pistole but hope I can get it to shoot good.My other two heritage shoot half way decent And are getting old.

Boolit Master

Looking forward to the field report
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

I would check the threads for size and squareness on both the frame and barrel including the shoulder.

Boolit Master
    I would Loctite it test it and trade it on a Ruger Wrangler or better

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    I really don’t know anything about it. He said it didint shoot good right after he got it. I asked him what’s wrong with it . He said besides not accurate he thinks the bbl was loose. Well he finally brings it over for me to look at. The barrel is tight for now. Going to go out and shoot it to see how it does. It’s brand new he only shot it a few times and put it back in the box. It’s a nice looking pistole but hope I can get it to shoot good.My other two heritage shoot half way decent And are getting old.
    Brand new? Call them and send it back. I wouldn't mess with it if it is covered under warranty.

Boolit Buddy
    If they wont fix it,, maybe a pop can shim will..

I doubt they will pay shipping both ways. So you pay what? $30-$50 to return a junky $140 gun. Heritage is the cowboys Saturday night special.

JB weld or loctite it is what I'd do.

Boolit Master
    You have to be careful tightening up the barrel. Others made good suggestions on getting the barrel to remain secure though. The frame is made from a casting alloy they call ZAMAK. It is a zinc based alloy kind of metal. The alloy works great with advanced pressure casting automated systems. But considering how many guns were made with brass frames over the years the ZAMAK alloy is actually a little stronger. They did make some guns with a mild steel 12L14 alloy which is softer and easier to machine than regular gun types of steels.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 03-25-2021 at 11:25 AM. Reason: add more info

Boolit Master
    I doubt he will send it back. He bought it from a gun shop about a year ago or so. The gun shop went out of business recently and if it don’t shoot he is the type to just sell it or trade it. The reason I want to use blue lock tight in case I ever want to remove the bbl. the red lock tight I can loosen up with heat but with the zmack frame I don’t know how high a heat I can go before messing up the frame. The blue sounds better to me .thanks

Boolit Master
    year old is not really new, might as well try a few drops of the blue goo, put it back together and trade it towards something else.

Boolit Buddy

Go with the Loctite 242, then trade it.

Boolit Master
    Just got back from the range. Only shot at 12 yards. I took my 71/2 in bbl heritage 22 and his 5.5 in pistole. One thing I noticed that they both don’t like the high velocity federal or the Aquila ammo. They both liked the cci blazers or the cci low velocity target 22 ammo. I was doing real good at first with both guns. The longer I shot the worse I got. Just could not get comfortable today shooting. I also shot each pistol off a sand bag. I shot three boxes of ammo and the other guys at the range going down every two or three shots didn't help my shooting at all. Well at least my first box in each gun shoot 6 shots in a nice small round cluster. I will take it apart soon and blue lock tight it for good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast