MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: COAL for the 44 magnum

Kent: The Lifter pins the cartridge against the roof of the Receiver as the Lever is closed. Then the bolt pushes it forward into the chamber. That is where the chamber mouth gouges into the boolit and stops the process.

What usually causes the Marlin Jam is the carrier/lifter getting worn on the bottom by the Snail Cam on the Lever. This is caused by the sharp edge at the point of the cam. The fix for that is to put a .060 radius on the point of the cam so it doesn't prematurely wear the bottom of the lifter. Also some grease or Vaseline on the cam will help.

Others have glued sections of Hacksaw Blades to the bottom of the lifter so the cam can't wear the the lifter. Best to just file a radius on the cam so the problem never surfaces in the first place.

Incidentally,,, Vaseline is one of the best gun lubricants ever made and works well on all sliding surfaces. I use it for "Assembly Lube" on my Hand Presses. It is probably the most inexpensive Gun Lube there is.

Hope this helps.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

Incidentally,,, Vaseline is one of the best gun lubricants ever made and works well on all sliding surfaces. I use it for "Assembly Lube" on my Hand Presses. It is probably the most inexpensive Gun Lube there is.

Hope this helps.

Randy
    Interesting one of my uncles a Korean War vet told me the same thing when I was a kid .
    You just reminded me of that .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Add any common Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF, - Walmart, etc.) for a great light gun and fishing reel oil. That's all the hobby lubes I've used for so long I can hardly remember whatever else I used in the past.

Note: NEVER use Lubraplate grease or WD-40 spray in a firearm or fishing reel! Both are very good for what they're made for but both will dry into a useless gummy mess!

Lubriplate is used on the rear of the bolt of an M1 Garand where it touches the Shroud at the rear of the receiver.

It is the only known use for that grease. I have had a tube for 40+ years, it is nearly full.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12