Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best/preferred tap brand for the smaller sizes?

Boolit Master

Best/preferred tap brand for the smaller sizes?

Anyone who has used a lot of smaller taps, can you recommend a favorite or "best" brand? I've drilled and tapped plenty but the smaller sizes always make me nervous. There are a few brands I avoid like the plague.
    I'm mounting a rear sight on an Enfield action, need to drill and tap two 6-48 holes near the charging clip guide.
    Brownell's carries a Rieff & Nestor tap, 5 star reviews.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    Buy from Brownells

Boolit Master
    I prefer the GM series high performance taps from Widia for hand tapping, but they don't make a tap in 6-48. From available sources for a 6-48 tap it looks like Brownell's has the best price.

Boolit Master
    Two Flute Spiral Point has always been my go to tap design, in both my professional and DIY stuff, and the 6x32 size being the most likely/most often the one that breaks.
    6x48 has less thread depth and is NOT as prone to breakage in my experience.
    I hate 4 flute taps that have to be "backed off" during use because they more often bind up or break when backing off.
    jmo,

Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    I have used Brownells for nearly 40 years with great results, I dont even give other brands a second thought. Another good thing about Brownells taps is, If you break one off in a gun, You can take a center punch and hit it hard, will shatter and you can easily pick the pieces out with a pic and magnet, and salvage a potentialy bad situation. I have had to do this 4 times, with no issues.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve heard of gunsmiths taking jumper cables from a 12 volt battery and quickly touching the spot to be drilled. Supposedly the heat from the momentary contact anneals around the spot to be drilled, making it easier to drill and tap. I’ve never tried it. It’s just something I heard during my 55+ years of fooling with guns.

I like OSG taps. Typically most are 2 flute Spiral Point which fold the chips down, so they are to be used on thru holes.

Spiral Flute taps direct the chips up out of the hole and are designed for tapping blind holes.

Form or Roll Taps don't make chips. They reform the hole into a threaded hole. If you are working soft or very ductile metals Roll Taps are the way to go. They are by far the strongest design of tap.

As stated above 6-32 taps are the weakest. You really need to pay attention when using them as they are prone to ruin your day.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-25-2021 at 01:21 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    My go to tap brand has always been Greenfield - I do not know how many tens of thousands of holes I did with them in 30 years.
    Like the others say, spiral point for through holes - make sure the tap drill is the correct size, both for diameter and also it may need adjusted if a deep hole. Use good tapping fluid.

Boolit Man
    I don't have a strong preference amongst the quality tap brands. I used to buy lots of taps from closed machine shops, until I was sufficiently saturated with the common sizes. Now I will occasionally pick up a lot when l know it has a size I'm looking for, but I mostly buy specific sizes NOS off sites like eBay. I have so many boxes of new taps in the common Imperial sizes below 1/2" I've just left them on a workbench until I find a place to store them. Most are "Chromate" brand I think, but I'm pretty sure Chromate was a reseller like Grainger so I don't know the actual manufacturer past being ground in the USA.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the recommendations!
    Tapping procedure isn't a problem, I just don't want the tool itself to be the problem.

Boolit Buddy

Check out the taps you can buy from a machinist supply house such as KBC tools. Buy quality. Cost a bit more but you will not regret it. I buy sets (start, plug.bottoming) and replace individual taps as they wear. OSG, Greenfield/Widia, etc. I have all the well known brands, including some of the Polish made ones (excellent quality also). Careful setup, technique, and cutting oil is just as important. Good quality tap wrench, etc. I like the Castrol brand tapping fluid. Black from suspended moly. but cuts better than anything else I've tried for steel. And practice on a piece of scrap before attempting on actual work piece!
    Sometimes use a little shop made tapping block like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNmd1-v62tw
    Last edited by gishooter; 03-29-2021 at 11:14 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    USA made tap and a tap guide in the same setup used to drill

https://www.shars.com/spring-load-tapping-guide

Greenfield is what I have always used.
    Never liked the spiral fluted taps, they break easily.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BS2 View Post
    Greenfield is what I have always used.
    Never liked the spiral fluted taps, they break easily.
    A spiral point tap does not have spiral flutes.
    I believe spiral fluted taps are designed for use on CNC machines, not for hand tapping or manual machine use.
    just sayin'
    Last edited by Kenstone; 03-25-2021 at 08:22 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Grand Master

OSG and various other premium taps have served me very well. The Polish or Chinese stuff not so much. Some of the Polish stuff has gotten a lot better in the last ten years but due to past bad experience I avoid them like the plague. With taps you get what you pay for.

I never use anything other than spiral point or form taps unless they are not available in that size. I use hand taps as little as possible.

This will clear up the nomenclature https://www.cnccookbook.com/differen...%20items...%20
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-25-2021 at 09:27 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I buy whatever McMaster has in stock. They never stock anything but the best.

Hate four-flute hand taps. Won't use 'em at all in any size under 1/4 inch.

Whenever possible, I tap with the part in the mill, using a guided tap wrench.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guided tap wrench.png 
Views:	207 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	280178
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    No need to worry about my procedure, I plan on using a mill, good cutting fluid, etc.
    I actually can't remember the first time I tapped a hole, might have been back when I was a teenager. My problem is I've lucky enough to not tap much under 1/4" and as a result I just don't like doing it.
    Good quality tooling, slow and gentle with the tap...
    Thanks again.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by curdog007 View Post
    My go to tap brand has always been Greenfield - I do not know how many tens of thousands of holes I did with them in 30 years.
    Like the others say, spiral point for through holes - make sure the tap drill is the correct size, both for diameter and also it may need adjusted if a deep hole. Use good tapping fluid.
    It's been a decade or so, since I was the one requisitioning them for the Jobsite I use to work at...But I always spec'd Greenfield. Usually got them from McMaster-Carr...but sometimes Granger, if we needed them same day.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    A spiral point tap does not have spiral flutes.
    I believe spiral fluted taps are designed for use on CNC machines, not for hand tapping or manual machine use.
    just sayin'
    "spiral fluted taps" .... I guess I can't say what they were designed for? But we did use them on occasion for tapping thinner steel. They seemed to last longer (not get dull), used in the Tap-O-Matic mounted in a drill press.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    "spiral fluted taps" .... I guess I can't say what they were designed for? But we did use them on occasion for tapping thinner steel. They seemed to last longer (not get dull), used in the Tap-O-Matic mounted in a drill press.
    Spiral flute taps are the best choice for interrupted cuts or thin stock. The spiral gives sort of a 'lead-in' effect as the flutes cross the gap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast