Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAKO L46 7x33

Boolit Bub

SAKO L46 7x33

Rifle is coming this or next week, SAKO L46 cal 7x33. Bought Lee 285-130 mold and cast 200 boolits. Once pc:d they are .287", 125gr. From NOE ordered bodybushings .285" .286" .287" and .288". Cartridge is small and Boolit has to be seated deep, maybe I get some where up to1500fps out of it . Sako factoryammo use 76gr fmj,2430 fps.
    Loaded between subsonic-1400fps suits my plan having The opensights smallgame walkingrifle.

Sounds like a sweet set up!

Once upon a time, I got a "good deal" on what looked to be a pristine Sako L-46 in .222; but when I took the barreled action out of the stock after got it home, there was a script on the bottom of the barrel where it was hidden when the metal was in the stock.

The script read Remington , proof of a re-barrel, so I returned it for a full refund.

I've never run across one since - but yours sounds like a good one.

I've never heard of that 7x33 chambering before, though - is it a Euro-only chambering, or a wildcat ?

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

The 7×33mm Sako cartridge was created in Finland in 1942 as a small game cartridge for animals such as the Capercaillie and Black Grouse. It is based on a 9×19mm Parabellum case that has been lengthened and necked down to accept a 7.21mm bullet. The cartridge overall length is 44.30mm with a case length of 33.30mm and a base diameter of 10mm. The bottleneck bends at 26.50 mm (dia 9.50 mm) and straightens at 29.12 mm (dia 7.80mm). The Bertram company of Australia makes brass for it. Sako offers two loadings, a 78gr (5.1g) FMJ and a 78gr soft nose.[1]

Rifles chambered in this caliber include the Sako Models L42 and L46.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

You could have Tom at Accuratemolds.com make a mold to duplicate the 76 grain loading. You could always load it light if wanted and could duplicate the factory loading.
    Enjoy your new Sako! I have a weakness for them,
    Rick

Boolit Bub
    I searched trough Tom's catalog, found 28-090K and 30-042B. Still thinking. Lee mold was shortcut to get CastBoolit .

Rifle came this morning. Slugged barrel and it is .286". So easy start using that Lee mold. Just cast, pc:d once and sized to .287" . Used as they are or point filed to have small metplat or shot backward like "soupcan" . Been loading 7,62x39 a lot and 7x33 is like little brother to it.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a wonderful little rifle. My L46 in 222Rem is a keeper and I would love to run across another in 7x33! Pictures please !
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finn45Colt View Post
    I searched trough Tom's catalog, found 28-090K and 30-042B. Still thinking. Lee mold was shortcut to get CastBoolit .

Rifle came this morning. Slugged barrel and it is .286". So easy start using that Lee mold. Just cast, pc:d once and sized to .287" . Used as they are or point filed to have small metplat or shot backward like "soupcan" . Been loading 7,62x39 a lot and 7x33 is like little brother to it.
    Tom will make anything you want within his parameters. It doesn't have to be in his catalog. Actually his catalog is mostly comprised of customs he has made for folks along the way. I have two or more customs in his catalog.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by mroliver77 View Post
    The 7×33mm Sako cartridge was created in Finland in 1942 as a small game cartridge for animals such as the Capercaillie and Black Grouse. It is based on a 9×19mm Parabellum case that has been lengthened and necked down to accept a 7.21mm bullet. The cartridge overall length is 44.30mm with a case length of 33.30mm and a base diameter of 10mm. The bottleneck bends at 26.50 mm (dia 9.50 mm) and straightens at 29.12 mm (dia 7.80mm). The Bertram company of Australia makes brass for it. Sako offers two loadings, a 78gr (5.1g) FMJ and a 78gr soft nose.[1]

Rifles chambered in this caliber include the Sako Models L42 and L46.
    T Y - much appreciated
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I had a SAKO Vixen in 222. It was of course on the L46 action. I deeply regret trading that one.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Congratulations on your 7x33 Sako! That case was the longest that Sako could make on their production machinery that was used for the 9x19 mm. It was essentially a cartridge design of convenience to use that machinery to make a sporting round for small game and give Sako something else to sell without . That being said, I would snap up a rifle like that in a heartbeat if the price tag was not insane.

Here is some more background information on the cartridge and the rifles chambered for it:
    https://sakocollectors.com/forum/thr...x33-sako.8850/

Boolit Grand Master

I had one in the early 70's and loved it until ammo became too hard to source.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Sako makes nice guns, if I were to buy a modern rifle, it most likely would be a Sako. That’s an interesting cartridge you have. I’m sure you will have lots of fun with it.

Boolit Bub
    This week I am able to go shooting. I have 100 Sako factory ammo , 1.2€ /one. I am eager to get those fresh brass so reloading with cast boolits shall start soon!

Boolit Master
    What are you going to shoot with it?
    Twist rate 1:14"
    Would the cases work in a 32-30 magazine?
    Be nice if it came in left hand.
    I can see driving a solid projectile through the noggin of most things would work.
    Wasn’t it a Eskimo cartridge like the 22 hornet?
    I don’t think I could afford one but it would be a nice gun to play with.
    Cheap on lead and powder.
    Primers may be expensive thou.
    Case should last forever with mild loads.

Boolit Bub
    Yesterday was first day shooting L46. First 20 shots went learning and finding out how it behaves . Old used rifle has "Character". Magazine have to push up little after every shot, trigger somewhat not so "perfect", working bolt needs right techique and slamming it enough force...just like you are serious with it
    Okei, it felt good and I got thing solved with trigger.

End of shooting session, five shot at 100 meters open sights I got four inside 1" ,fifth opened group up to 2 1/2" . Still have get more shooting with it. That Sako has more accuracy than I can get out of it..

I am very pleased with it, it feels good and have hope to it become great with cast Boolits also!

Boolit Master
    Good shooting with irons.
    Looks like it’s doing well for it’s age.
    Once you sort out your sloppy magazine and feeding issues you will be right.
    Bearing blue or indicator to help find the just right position of everything.
    Your cast bullets won’t like too much of the military touch getting them in the chamber
    Remember taking off metal is easy.
    Replacing not so much.
    Enjoy

Boolit Bub
    Roe deer is biggest you can hunt with this caliber says hunting law, Western Capercaillie and Black grouse will be on my list.
    Dunno Eskimos, but 7x33 was used from year 1946 hunting seals here in Finland.
    Action need force only when opening , to get another ammo in chamber is fluid and easy.
    RCBS reloading dies are on way to me. More ammo more shooting more sharpshooting.

About 2 years ago I had 66 center fire rifles. I have been selling out and only keeping the family heirlooms. I’ve sold all my varmit guns and magnum big game rifles that didn’t fall into this category. I had 4 Sako rifles, 2 from 1950s and 2 from 60s. A 222, 270, 300win and 375H&H. A good part of my horde were Pre 64 Win m70s and as much as I liked them the Sako was as good or maybe better. I won’t be buying any new rifles but if I was shopping for a bolt gun it would be a Sako or Styre.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast