RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New computer

Boolit Master

New computer

Well looks like I'm going to have to spring for a new computer. Been having problems with an old keyboard.
    Sometimes the backspace button won't work. Today won't work at all. So swapped out for a new/old as in never used keyboard and same problem. So gets old quick when you have to scroll up from the post your either reading or posting, than scroll down again to read another post. Old tower is about 5 years or so old
    but use it every night. Anyone have any quick fixes before I go out and spend some bucks?. Thanks,Frank

Boolit Master
    Try cleaning up / out the old keyboard with compressed air first. If no effect - new keyboards are cheap!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Agree on the keyboards are cheap mentality. I believe a standard Wired keyboard could be had for less than $20 now. Easy answer is just swap out and while your at it upgrade.

As for old one, depending on how old the keyboard is you can actually throw it in the dish washing machine. Prior to all the lights and electronics in the keyboards (can’t imagine yours is this old but who knows) technicians I used to work with would routinely run keyboards through washing machines to clean them and let them dry really well in hot sun. As long as they were 100% dry before getting powered back up there was no issue. Did it once years ago myself just to test on an old dos keyboard and it worked great.

If possible try prying the backspace key up and see if there is gunk underneath preventing the key from operating properly. Rubbing alcohol and qtip can be handy.

Boolit Master
    Having the same issues myself...on my laptop. First one key, then 2, in a matter of a couple weeks about half the keys are difficult to function, including the space bar and shift keys. Using my old laptop now and the space bar on this on is difficult to work. Just strange how they all gave-up about the same time. My son asked if I maybe spilled something on it, which I didn't.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

I have replaced the keyboards on two laptops. As long as you can find the part, the job is fairly easy.

Boolit Master
    The cat clawed a couple of keys from my laptop.....he hooks one claw ,and pops the top off.......they are held by wire spring retainers,but I cant get them to stay put.

Boolit Master
    So swapped out for a new/old as in never used keyboard and same problem.
    Doesn't anyone read past the first line?
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Moderator Emeritus

Have you tried a wireless keyboard? I've had times where the hardwired plugs stopped working or internal units stopped working and just used a USB or wireless replacement. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    Agree on the keyboards are cheap mentality. I believe a standard Wired keyboard could be had for less than $20 now. Easy answer is just swap out and while your at it upgrade.

As for old one, depending on how old the keyboard is you can actually throw it in the dish washing machine. Prior to all the lights and electronics in the keyboards (can’t imagine yours is this old but who knows) technicians I used to work with would routinely run keyboards through washing machines to clean them and let them dry really well in hot sun. As long as they were 100% dry before getting powered back up there was no issue. Did it once years ago myself just to test on an old dos keyboard and it worked great.

If possible try prying the backspace key up and see if there is gunk underneath preventing the key from operating properly. Rubbing alcohol and qtip can be handy.
    Along these lines - using alcohol in a spray bottle will accomplish most sticky substance removal. I go through 2-3 keyboards in the lifespan of each cpu- mine get used in a key interface killing particulate rich environment, we use the alcohol / canned air / vacuum on keyboards several times per week.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Is the keyboard problem only in the forum?

Does it work if you try it in something like word?

No, no one reads closely any more. (I don't sometimes either)
    I'd expect it is the wiring to the keyboard connector on the computer. I'm assuming it is a round PS/2 type plug. If so, try a USB keyboard or a wireless. I've got two computers I use logitech wireless keyboards on that I bought from Sam's for $20. (good price, usually about $29) way cheaper than new computer.

Like many, I’ve used computers for years. Now, an iPad is all I need and is what I use.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    If a couple keys don't work, and you've changed your keyboard only to have the same problem, it's obviously not your keyboard. You say it's a tower, so you're not fighting issues like a laptop fighting with both an integrated and an external keyboard. You mention replacing the computer, but it's almost impossible for a computer to develop a hardware problem that just kills a couple keyboard commands. That kind of leaves software, which turns out to be the underlying problem when most people get frustrated and replace their computer.

Before shelling out a few hundred dollars that could be better spent on shooting supplies, I'd delete the keyboard driver and reboot the computer to make it find and load a new driver. If that didn't work I'd save all my files to a thumb drive and try restoring the machine to a point maybe a year ago. But first, maybe an experiment to limit what's running? Since your backspace is having trouble, focus on the backspace. Unplug from the internet, turn off the wi-fi if you're on wi-fi, unplug the printer, unplug any extra monitors. Now you're down to just a computer with a keyboard and a mouse. So open a text document and start typing. Check out that backspace key, abuse it, find out if it's really broke. If the backspace key works every time like that, add the other stuff back in one piece at a time until you find the point where the problem starts up again. Then you know what you're fighting. Then Google it up because some geek has probably seen it before.

Five years isn't that old. Computers used to get outdated quickly, but that's not the case for about 99% of us. PCs continue to get faster, but most of us don't use 10% of the horsepower in the machines we have. I'm using PCs here at work that were installed in 2003. They aren't barn burners but they are just as fast and reliable as they ever were. In fact, adding memory and a solid state drive to 10-15 yr old computers is a cheap upgrade to add another decade to their usefulness.

When a computer has issues that require it to be replaced, the computer usually will not boot up. If it boots, and is broke, it will frequently lock up or crash. Your computer is running a million small tasks through a single digital pipeline every second. If the pipeline breaks, nothing gets through, and the machine is trash. If the only small task that fails is the backspace key, it's hard to believe that pipeline is the problem. I know of one person who was convinced that their computer was toast when his documents ended up being jibberish even though he was seeing the right characters show up as he typed. It turned out he was spell checking and correcting in another language.

I'd delete the keyboard driver and reboot the computer to make it find and load a new driver. Or an OLD driver as OS gets updated they 'change' things so you will buy a new machine. If some keys stop working it is NOT the computer. It is NOT the cable. Keyboard keystrokes are sent to the computer at a certain rate (baud rate). If you get jibberish as typing on many keys, baud rate may be bad due to changing computer clock or keyboard clock. I'd try the USB/PS2 driver first, depending on the cable type.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

If you decide to get a new pc: try the Dell refurbished site

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    If you decide to get a new pc: try the Dell refurbished site

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/
    Try also Microcenter. I went and bought refurbs there for people around here and never had a problem. I always get the Dells.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    Doesn't anyone read past the first line?
    Will admit, I read the full post but misunderstood the line upon first reading. My apologies.

I agree with other posters that switching to an iPad if that’s feasible. If not issue may be motherboard issue which is easily resolved by switching to a USB keyboard as others have said (PS2 connector pins are easily bent which can cause connection issues).

If already using a USB keyboard, switch the port it’s in but honesty that’s a long shot.

If the problem is in every application (browser, notepad, word etc.), try a different USB port to connect the keyboard.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Master

If you do decide to get a new computer or just replace your keyboard again, get one that it backlit. They are generally sold as gaming keyboards. Even though I am a touch typist, having the keys easily identifiable at a glance in a darkened room was a huge improvement on my computing experience.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    OP, I’ve noticed over the years a lot of us on the forum have computer experience and I know personally I have a fair supply of spare parts from my computer tech days. Maybe post in your profile where your at and maybe a member is near by who can assist if needed?

If you’re in Mid-Michigan for example maybe I can help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast