Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No gas checks? ,Will this idea work?

Boolit Master
    Since I can shoot close to MOA (and sometimes smaller) with gas checked PC bullets, then yes, a GC bullet without the GC is not accurate enough for me. For me they run 2MOA or more.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    How different is a GC Boolit without a GC from a heeled boolit?

I've always shot GC boolits with gas checks. But I unless you are shooting full power ammo, it really shouldn't be a problem.

I also have Pat Marlin's GC maker in all the calibers I shoot...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    Some years ago I was plinking with a 77/44, shooting thru a baffle box about 5'x18"x18". Cast lead with card wad, subsonic. Wasn't too concerned about the wad wandering off track and as it turned out that was unjustified optimism. 2 wads struck the forward face of the box and came within a hair of punching a couple holes thru it.

Time passed and I started fooling with a wildcat with a suppressor. Objectives: Quiet subsonic lead with sufficient precision to whack pigs in the local swamps in behalf of the state and as part of a feral swine eradication program. After some work with a flat base non-checked bullet I had some success, but curiosity got the best of me.

Original bullet with a variety of different loads

I loaded up some Lyman 311041 w/o gas checks pushed with some Blue Dot and suffice to say another myth bit the dust. No way on earth will I fire a gas checked bullet thru a suppressor.

The fouler hit a little low, the following 9 shots clustered above it. I don't know why the next 5 shots hit the target on the left, but it might have been from too much whiskey.

I've shot a good many GC based PC boolits through my 22tcm at 2000 to 2200fps. zero leading. Good accuracy. Fallacy that the Gc improves or lack thereof decreases accuracy of a boolits. Boat tail bullets work fine don't they.... Same thing

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Big difference between what some consider "good accuracy" and what others consider it to be. Also a big difference between what is "good accuracy" and what is the best accuracy the bullet with GC is capable of.

Not a 'fallacy", just depends on what one's perception of reality is.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Big difference between what some consider "good accuracy" and what others consider it to be. Also a big difference between what is "good accuracy" and what is the best accuracy the bullet with GC is capable of.

Not a 'fallacy", just depends on what one's perception of reality is.
    Larry, I know you do LOTS of testing and keep good records. Have you took a GC'd bullet and shot the same loads in the 1200 to 1400 fps range so there should be no need for a GC. When doing that, holding everything exactly the same (type of powder, primer, etc) so the only difference the two test rounds would be with or without GC. Do you find any difference in accuracy at 50 to 100 yds? I so, how much difference?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I think Pat Marlin is still making the gas check makers.
    Yes, but he's way behind on deliveries...I've been waiting for mine since December.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    Side note, but if you tumble PC that base will be covered. Don't have to stand them on their noses....

Oh lord - here we go. If no gc works do it. If not, get some aluminum flashing and a Pat Marlin GC maker - make sure to get the right flashing.
    WWG1WGA

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    So you say that a 2 MOA load with enough power to knock down HMSA Rams at 200 meters is "no good".

I really do not seen any accuracy difference with powder coated plain base vs a bullet with a gas check shank and no gas check.
    If I am shooting 2 MOA, I am going back to the loading room looking for what went wrong. 1.5 MOA is my goal at all ranges.

Some people just expect more than others. My 308's were 1.5 MOA at 2400fps out to 350yds. And with a 10 twist barrel. I could push it to almost 2700fps if I went with your 2 MOA standard.

It depends on what each person the is is good enough. You think 2 moa is good enough. I think 1.5 MOA is good. Well with cast. 0.25 MOA is what I think is good enough with jacketed.

Boolit Master
    For those that regularly shoot sub 0.5 MOA with Jacketed, I can understand that they might have a different standard for cast.

I have never chased that level of performance.

I know part of it is the shooter (I probably wobble close to 0.25 MOA more often than not). Part of it is my guns and what I use them for. Also I rate my accuracy based on the ability to reliably group 5 shots at both 100 and 200 yards.

The vast majority of my 100 & 200 yard shooting with cast boolits has been for IHMSA loads. With my Contender handguns I have never had any kind of projectile reliably give me better than say 1.75 MOA from 5 shots at both 100 and 200 yards. My open sight Dan Wesson revolver in 357 Max is having a really good day if I pull off a 3 MOA group with either jacketed or cast. Although the revolver does not group great, I used to shoot in the high 30s (best was 38 of 40 targets) with it before my eyes got old.

I have a couple of AR-15 rifles that have done close to 1.5 MOA at 100, but I have never done less than 1.75 MOA at 200 with cast.

I do not have any centerfire rifles other than the AR-15s.

So I agree that much of it has to do with expectations. I am very satisfied with my 170 gr Lee that I shoot without a check in 30 Herrett. The load that gives right at 2 MOA from both a 10" and a 14" barrel. I load this ammo in big (more than 80 round) batches and it does what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by stubert View Post
    We all know there are no gas checks anywhere...
    Your premise is incorrect. I just recently picked up 30, 33, and 35 caliber gas checks with very little wait time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mroliver77 View Post
    Using a filler or a "soft check" has helped in some cases for me. Somebody here used to sell wax dental impression sheets. pushed over the case mouth to cut them left a soft check in the case mouth. Pain in the rump but worked pretty good.
    I've used shotshell buffer powder under plane-based bullets and it has worked well. I put in enough so that it gets compressed somewhat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12