RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Bottom Pour Pot Stops Flowing

Lee Bottom Pour Pot Stops Flowing

My Lee bottom pour 10 lb pot has stopped - or nearly so - flowing. The molten metal comes out so slow I don't get good boolits. Yesterday I drained the pot and tried to clean the nozzle. The part that closes off the nozzle was grungy so I cleaned it up. I tried some small, thin awls to poke into the nozzle. Still pours slow. I think I caused the problem by draining the pot and changing to a different alloy a few times. I think that allowed some of the crap that normally floats on the top of the lead to get into the nozzle. Has anyone else experienced this? If so do you have a fix?

Give a butane torch a try and heat that nozzle up.

Boolit Master
    I gave up on mine. Couldn’t dynamite it open. So switched, took out the valve assembly, and been happily using it as a melter with a ladle. Pressure pours are great! Suits me much better. But I am a standard issue hillbilly.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Yup I learned when the lead gets about an inch from the bottom I pour the rest over the side into an ingot mold.
    You can take a small drill bit and work it buy hand gently from each side and clear the nasty out of the spout .
    I have also had luck getting the pot full and really hot fluxing good with wax and run a steady stream out the spout and it may slowly melt and rinse the junk out . And as was mentioned I have used a propane torch on it .
    45 years of casting you wind up trying everything at some point don't give up you can get it cleared . ( don't break a drill bit in it )

Boolit Master

I suspect that if you run a small piece of wire in there while holding the handle open you'll probably get the flow going. Kind of work it around in there and the flow should improve. BTW hold the wire with a plier not your fingers. I've made little tools with handles that make the chore easy. Also try hitting the orifice with some beeswax which it'll kind of suck into there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pot Tools-1.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	280090
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Thank you all. Those are some good ideas. I have it heating right now. Gonna try the wire trick and the propane torch. Maybe both at once.

Boolit Master
    A drill bit turned by hand or a paper clip or wire held with a needle nose pliers bent to a l shape works good.I leave the pot with lead in it hot ready to poure. Lift the valve handle up some and clean the spout out.

Boolit Master
    Don’t try a small drill bit, often they break and are entombed. Don’t ask how I know that.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

One thing I do is that every time I cut off the pot is to crank down the nozzle shutoff. and open it wide when it gets hot. I usually flux with wax when I add lead and I scrape around when I have ti hot. Also, don't put impure lead in the pot. has to be good lead or it will sto pool up on you

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

My tool is a paper clip lashed to a dowel. Put a pan or ingot mold under it. Crank the thermostat up and get it hot. Really hot. When the pot is at heat, hold the valve open and run the clip in and wiggle. When the lead starts to flow, remove the clip and let a good half a pound flow into the catch basin. That usually does the trick.

Last edited by imashooter2; 03-24-2021 at 01:59 AM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    If they use wire utility locate flags in your area they are pretty stiff wire but will still take a bend .

Boolit Master

I have used a ring shank panel nail to clean the spout. It does not break as easily as a drill bit and will clean the spout. Hold on to it with some small vice grips so you don't get burned. The pot has to be hot to accomplish this.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Angled dental pick, just let it flow until flow is good. The pic will poke into and clear the nozzle.
    Whatever!

Banned
    The colder the surrounding temperature the more likely the spout will freeze up (more common with Lee posts because their spouts are thinner than RCBS)

Not a pretty tool [OK it's UGLY] BUT it gets the job done keeping your hands away from the spout

They all do that.
    If it isn't hot enough, use the torch.
    If its hot, but clogged--I hold a bent paper clip with pliers, poke it up in there, and wiggle it around.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    They all do that.
    If it isn't hot enough, use the torch.
    If its hot, but clogged--I hold a bent paper clip with pliers, poke it up in there, and wiggle it around.
    This is what I do
    Hopefully I’ll have a new pot soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I use a torch tip cleaner off the appropriate size. Can be purchased at most welding supply shops

Moderator Emeritus

I use the correct sized allen wrench on a hot pot nozzle.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I want to thank you all for the ideas. I got it unplugged using heat from a propane torch and an L-shaped dental pick. Took a few tries but it worked so I cast up some .32 cal. round nose boolits. I'm warming some LLA right now. Thanks again.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    So far a paper clip has always worked for me. However, I am getting to the point of taking the pot apart and doing a thorough cleaning including lapping the contacts on the valve. I do like the handles I’ve seen for the paper clips and may consider making one myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast