WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 338 Win Mag with cast

Boolit Master
    When I first got my 338 Win. Mag I took it to a range and shot a pumpkin that another shooter had brought. When you shoot pumpkins with a 30/06 with 150-165gr projectiles they go straight through with an exit hole lager than the entrance hole. No explosion unless you fill the pumpkin with water then pieces fly all over the place. When shot with the 338 with a Rem. 225gr cor-loc the pumpkin disappeared. Decided then that I would never take that gun deer hunting. May have to rethink this but only after I have tried cast on pumpkins at a range.

Boolit Master
    My 338 win mag and the Lee boolit cast 50/50 and 24 gr of 2400 with no filler. 1800 FPS, quite accurate and very deadly on deer and coyotes. Extremely pleasant to shoot.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

I was given a bunch of what I think is the 225 gr Lee bullet, and load them in my 338-06... a load of Blue Dot I can't recall at the moment. My rifle is a re-barreled Savage. First shot always hits high...

Boolit Buddy
    The RCBS 200 gr gc with 30.0 5744 or the Lyman 250gr 33889 with 27.0gr shoots very well in my 338.

Boolit Buddy
    I have shot deer with 210 and 250 Noslers, and meat damage was less than with 30-06 or 270.

Boolit Master

39 grains of 3031 shot like a house afire with the Lee 220 grainer but unlike Winelover I could never get as good of groups using a 200 gr. FNGC (RCBS in my case) with 4759 or 5744 or limited testing with 3031.

More than white tail at 50 accurate, but not like the Lee 220.

Don't tell anyone, but the 39.0 grains of 3031 STACKED the Hornady 200 grain FN also.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 04-10-2021 at 10:06 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

In animals of the size of your white-tailed deer, antelope, axis deer, including puma and wild boar, the 250 grain tips at speeds of 2000 ft / sec, leave perfect channels, not much meat is lost, the bullet passes cleanly into the animal.
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I hunted with one for years. It may seem counter productive, but I found the 250 gr. Sierra the be best for deer. They don't have time to expand much, and leave pretty much the same wound channel as a cast bullet. Eat the hole. Lighter bullets were too destructive.
    I’ve owned several .338 WM and both of the common variations of the .338-06. I like them all. With my first one I developed a load with the Speer 200 gr SP, 45.0 gr of IMR-4198 which is about 2400+/- fps. Speer says this is “deer” bullet. I wouldn’t run it at 3000 fps, as some data shows, if close shots are anticipated. The 45.0 gr of 4198 comes right out of a du Pont data sheet. I still use the load and it still kills deer in their tracks.

I’ve used the RCBS 200 gr, but my mould made bullets that had a propensity for shedding the gas checks between the muzzle and the chronograph, which was hard on the chronograph. I have the Lyman 33889 which casts and shoots great in my .338 WM which is a Mauser with a Douglas barrel that I’ve had for about 25 years. I also had Tom at Accurate scale up an 8mm mold to 34, the 34-250B, that also shoots well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2080076A-14D9-4588-A3F1-B2D10375CE6B.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	283296
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 05-21-2021 at 08:49 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the continued info. I've been watching this thread and making notes of load data ect. Whenever this powder shortage thing gets resolved I plan to work on a cast load for my 338 WM.

I really like the 338WM. Its my favorite of the Winchester Magnum Cartridges. Mine was built as an Elk rifle. Honestly, it would be a shame to just pick it up once in a blue moon to maybe get a shot at an Elk. I would get much more enjoyment from working up a cast boolit load to hunt Whitetails and Hogs with.

Thanks again for all the information

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KWJohnston View Post
    Thanks for the continued info. I've been watching this thread and making notes of load data ect. Whenever this powder shortage thing gets resolved I plan to work on a cast load for my 338 WM.

Thanks again for all the information
    I feel the same. Going to keep an eye on this thread as I have interest here.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12