Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: For those who like fresh sweet liver

Boolit Master

For those who like fresh sweet liver

This is not a recipe, but Walmart is selling vacuum packed liver from Swift. Evidently, the strong taste of liver comes not from aging, per se, but from oxidation. This liver is as sweet after a month or two in the freezer as it would be the day of the slaughter.
    I'm not a fancy cook, and I never flour my liver, but I'm sure you'd find it good no matter how you cook it.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the heads up !
    Was just thinking about ... craving ... some Liver & Onions ... been looking for some sweet Vidalia's
    with grits of course !
    Gary
    Now lets hear from all the liver haters ... I know you out there !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Love Liver!
    About a minute on each side in a hot pan. ! Pink in the middle ! Super tender and flavorful! Yumm!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

I love liver and onions, smothered in gravy served over rice. I think I'll go look at Walmart soon.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Yup, never tried to cook it, but I really enjoy it when I can! My Grandparents farmed, so at least one a year it was butchering time, and liver and onions, with homemade rye bread wasn't far behind! They still serve it here at the small town cafes. Heck, Thursday may work out for me in Columbus, NE? Tom

There has got to be a hater here, I'll be the one. Beef liver has got to be one of the nastier things I have eaten.
    Dad always said elk liver tastes way different than beef but I aint tried it.

Moderator Emeritus

I was forced to eat liver a couple times a week growing up, it was cheap to free to my mom when she worked for the butcher... now? BARF, can't even stand the smell...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I was forced to eat liver a couple times a week growing up, it was cheap to free to my mom when she worked for the butcher... now? BARF, can't even stand the smell...
    My daughter's still laugh about being forced to eat it. When I wasn't looking, they dropped it on the floor for our dog, who was very grateful. LOL. I caught on after a while, "Patches", always laid at my feet. She was a little dog, and walking under the table at supper was a clue. I'm not a tyrant, when I realized they weren't going to eat it, I merely stopped asking my wife to prepare it. I eat it now, when I'm alone. I was never "forced" to eat it as a child. Whatever was put on the table by Mom, is what you ate, pure and simple. Some of the things I didn't care for in my youth, (liver is not one), I love now. The only thing that carries on from childhood, is Brussel Sprouts. Only had them edible once in my life. Like reloader28 said, "gotta be one hater on here." LOL.
    Last edited by gbrown; 03-25-2021 at 07:23 PM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ll pass on liver but certainly won’t discourage the liver lovers. I have used chicken livers a time or 2 for catfishing

I have friends that when they buy a beef give me the liver, heart and tongue. Dog and I eat all forms of liver. It is a real superfood!
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

Love liver and onions, slow cooked with gravy, side of lima beans and french fries covered in the gravy. Have to check out wally world....
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Had way too much of it growing up........but it makes good fish bait..........
    NRA Benefactor