MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the heaviest bullet that you shoot out of your 1911 45 ACP and your Glock 21?

What is the heaviest bullet that you shoot out of your 1911 45 ACP and your Glock 21?

I'm looking for a Woods load and also a deer hunting load for both the full-size 1911 45 ACP and full size Glock 21 45 ACP gun what bullet and powder would you recommend?

I do have some new 45 super brass available to that I could load up.

Boolit Grand Master

These are the hottest heaviest loads I am aware of. I am not aware of any loading data that will equal them.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=395

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=397
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-23-2021 at 02:37 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned

ive shot 255 round flats but anymore stick to the bullets designed for them. I hate to beat up an expensive 1911 when.

Boolit Master
    I used to shoot 265 gr cast out of my 1911 when shooting bowling pins.

I think any defense load would be good for deer hunting.

I only shoot 230 gr truncated cones out of mine. Started with a round nose but the TC feeds better, shoots as well or better.

Most of mine are pretty moderate loads of Red Dot. I would not go as low as 4.5 grains as mine came back sooty.
    Went up a little and no more soot.

Considering that is almost double the weight of the average .30 caliber boolit I would have no concerns with it.

Yes you can go bigger, faster. But what is that going to do to your accuracy and confidence?
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Bullets over 240-grains in an M1911 are frame crackers. It's your money.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

For those that want the next level https://www.460rowland.com/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I never go over 220. Normally stay at 200.You can split your gun wide open with those heavy boolits! Like said above................it's YOUR money!

Always stick with what is proven to work and be safe.

Boolit Grand Master

The 230 grain bullet has been the standard since 1906. Hard to get much more proven that.

https://sightm1911.com/lib/history/4...ge_History.htm

Heavy bullets are not the problem. Over pressure and slide velocity is. Slide velocity can be controlled somewhat by weight of the recoil spring, mainspring and the shape of the firing pin stop.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-23-2021 at 05:43 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The 230 grain bullet has been the standard since 1906. Hard to get much more proven that.

https://sightm1911.com/lib/history/4...ge_History.htm
    But it is still nice to stay on the "comfortable side" of the specs, at least for me and my purposes. 200 suites me just fine.

Thanks for the info!

banger

Boolit Master
    230 is where JMB made it to run, mine live between there and 200. Every scenario is different but if you think you need more bang get something designed with more bang. Also if you do not have a 44 revolver this could be an excellent excuse/opportunity to dip ones toe.

265 WFNGC

Vendor Sponsor

I used the 255gr LSWC in a 1911 on bowling pins, man it clears the table with authority! This load would be very effective on game as well. If you can't seat them about .060" proud of the case mouth, have your barrel throated so you can. The 1911 feeds much better with longer COA and you have more room for powder.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

That buffalo boar load is a good load it puts you where the original 45 colt load was at. If you haven't already I would fit a flat bottom firing pin stop and consider a Wilson bushing compensator. A lot of folks will tell you the bushing comp and any comp on a 45acp is a waste. Well I have one on my 45acp and I have recently shot some 265gr bullets far above what anyone here will tell you what's safe the eject about 5ft from me and are comfortable to shoot with a 14 pound recoil spring. Set your gun up right get the chamber reamed from Doug and be smart about your loads. Don't try to use springs as your only upgrade

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Did the old 260 gr. Speer load from their book many decades ago. They worked but I felt it silly. As I shot more, I switched to cast and I've settled on 200grswc and 230 grTC bullets only. Either will do for my running about the farm with my .45 auto.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Other than 230 RN profile boolits, i tried a few 242 grain cup points. But not a bunch of them, though. 200 RNFP by Lee is my go to boolit now for 45ACP. Old Ruger P90 in 45ACP, 200 grain RNFP it'll drive them in a nice tight group at 25 yards if i do my part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As said before, your mileage may vary.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Lead 255 grain swc - over a stout charge of Unique in WW2 steel cases that were teflon coated - RIP Dean Grennell (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Grennell) you were a bad influence but a great time.

Gun modified with double spring system (Detonics) and extra power firing pin spring - this was the beginning of the 45 Super cartridges.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banner Sponsor

I shoot a 270 at around 950 in my AMT 7" longslide. I put a heavy spring in. It dumps brass about 18" away.

I have a 270SAA mold that throws 280gr cast soft. I tried a few running about 800fps, fed fine in my 1911.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Bullets over 240-grains in an M1911 are frame crackers. It's your money.
    Just depends on how hard you run them.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast