Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the heaviest bullet that you shoot out of your 1911 45 ACP and your Glock 21?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kingrj View Post
    M-Tecs you are quite correct....I only fire my Super maybe 20 times a year since it is my primary white tail deer gun...At that rate it will last my lifetime in the least! Please keep us informed about your FN FNX conversion...it sounds like a great project and please share your design with us as you go. Having near .44 mag power in a slim packable package is something many want to have...
    Will do. When I first started researching this I was planning on the 1911 Platform.

I do have a spare long slide and double stack frame I was planning on using, wherever, per Rowland the double stack 1911's aren't working that well. Just a guess but since they recommend heavier mag springs on everything my guess that the double stack mags aren't feeding the round fast enough. With a square firing pin stop, heavier main spring and the extra weight of the long slide and red dot it may slow the slide down enough but I don't want to be the guinea pig.

The holdup will be getting the FN FNX. I work part-time at a medium sized gun shop since I retired. We have two gun buyers and they are letting our distributors know that it's on our priority list. As to the design I will just send the barrel and slide to Rowland and they will do the chamber than upgrade the mag springs that's it. https://www.460rowland.com/shop/460-...45-conversion/

That's a tough one for me since I normally do all my own work but while I am not the brightest bulb on the tree I am bright enough to not try to re-invent the wheel. They have done the testing I have not.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-28-2021 at 05:09 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    The HK usp 45 acp according to some is rated for the super right out of the box.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Super I have never shot any from mine but some do.

I have used a .452 Lee .45 LRNFP in my 1911A1. I don't remember the load, but the powder was Unique. They shot well, a bit heavy in the recoil department. I relagated them to my 1917 S&W.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Bub
    Heaviest? 260 WFN.

For me, the heaviest is 230 grains. That big boolit will do anything I need done with a 45ACP.
    I mostly shoot 200 grain boolits in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    No reason at all to hot rod:

Attachment 280175

230 grain LBT LFN cast of a hard, non-deforming alloy. Bullet on the right was recovered from the ninth gallon milk jug in the stack, and it was fired at a bog-standard GI hardball speed of about 830 FPS. While it wouldn't be my first choice for a heavy-timber elk cartridge, I'd have fair confidence in it if I were hungry enough. Remember, cavalrymen helped design the .45 ACP, and they had a secondary requirement of ability to kill HORSES.

There is also the similar profile 234 grain Ranch Dog that I helped launch with a group-buy from NOE. This can be ordered as a hollowpoint version with three sets of nose pins that give you the option of solid, deep hollowpoint, or shallow "cup" point. The cup points would expand more conservatively and penetrate deeper. Might be a good option for a deer load.

Attachment 280176
    Groo here
    In point of fact the 45acp replaced the 45 revolver round for cav and when faced with a cav charge, the biggest target is the horse.
    Look up the Thompson LeGrand test,and you will see that most of the testing was cattle and horses..
    They are called "horse pistols "for a reason....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    Groo here
    In point of fact the 45acp replaced the 45 revolver round for cav and when faced with a cav charge, the biggest target is the horse.
    Look up the Thompson LeGrand test,and you will see that most of the testing was cattle and horses..
    They are called "horse pistols "for a reason....
    Yep. And the Navy ran .36's (9mm) because there aren't a lot of horses on boats, unless maybe you meet Lyle Lovett: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpM8FjO4Vko
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

The term horse pistol was generally used for the large muzzleloading pistols that were carried on the saddle pummel. That carried over to the early large Colt revolvers.

The 45 ACP and the 1911 replaced the Colt New Army M1892 in.38 Long Colt. Due to it's poor performance in the Philippines against the Moro Warriors the Colt New Service M1909 in 45 Colt was adopted.

https://www.guns.com/news/2018/10/30...ant-carry-guns

https://americanhandgunner.com/handg...all-revolvers/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_1851_Navy_Revolver

The cylinder of this revolver is engraved with a scene of the victory of the Second Texas Navy at the Battle of Campeche on May 16, 1843. The Texas Navy had purchased the earlier Colt Paterson Revolver, but this was Colt's first major success in the gun trade; the naval theme of the engraved cylinder of the Colt 1851 Navy revolver was Colt's gesture of appreciation. The engraving was provided by Waterman Ormsby.[6] Despite the "Navy" designation, the revolver was chiefly purchased by civilians and military land forces.

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/shoo...eat-revolvers/

https://www.guns.com/news/2012/07/17...t-45-colt-1911
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-03-2021 at 04:25 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    The HK usp 45 acp according to some is rated for the super right out of the box.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Super I have never shot any from mine but some do.
    Don’t know where they got that info, I don’t know of an H&k made in .45 super. During its development, I understand the originator of the super fired some quantity of super thru a USP, with no damage. During my tenure with the company, we always told customers that the USP was chambered and designed for the .45 ACP, and the use of the super was NOT recommended, and would void the warranty.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johniv View Post
    Don’t know where they got that info, I don’t know of an H&k made in .45 super. During its development, I understand the originator of the super fired some quantity of super thru a USP, with no damage. During my tenure with the company, we always told customers that the USP was chambered and designed for the .45 ACP, and the use of the super was NOT recommended, and would void the warranty.
    I certainly would not disagree with you on that and I don't see wiki as an authority on anything in particular.
    I saw the wiki after looking at the HK forum and reading a discussion on the USP and the super and reading a number of posts about shooting 45 super in the USP but that certainly does not mean it's a good idea.
    But like you point out one guy that does conversions on other guns for super says they work (this is all hearsay to me ) if I wanted to shoot supers in a USP I would do more research . I don't

Hunting deer with a 1911?
    I'd use a 230 or so WFNHP, cast real soft and gas checked.
    Big enough hollow point to open up and heavy enough to be hard to stop it.
    And if for some strange reason it didn't open up, well, it's still a WFN.

Boolit Bub
    I shoot 230 HP’s and FMJ’s in both my Baer Custom and my Para Tac4 double stack. Fyi; years ago I upgraded the mag and slide springs in my Para and polished the feed ramp. It has functioned flawlessly ever since. The LDA trigger is sweet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12