WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 70's compact cell phone

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
    bag phones were also available as cel phones. I had a Motorola bag phone. Satellite phones came later, as the outfit I worked for had a few of those in the early '90's as well.
    Yup! Was running my renovation/restoration business back then and had 'em in my pick-up and my foreman's van. Been through four or five cell service carriers since then but still have my original phone number.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    I had a company issued bag phone in NY in the early 90's, cell not satellite.
    Damn thing was as bigger then my 6-pack size lunch cooler,, and heavier.
    Couldent leave it in the truck for fear of theft, so had to carry it everywhere.
    The introduction of pocket sized phones was world changing...

Moderator Emeritus

Carrying a phone and a "portable" Compac computer that was as big as a suitcase. Then had to carry my audit bag, all on a daily train to NYC. That sucked.

Yep, 1990's, was Nothing but a long telephone cord in the 1970s. And the star trek tricorder.....
    First hand held calculator in about 1972-3. I had a TI 4 whole functions, no memory, larger than the largest screen Apple phone and was over $100 in 1975.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I don't know anything about that phone but I DO REMEMBER benign ambulance and rescue runs in the early 1970's and we did not have direct contact with the ER by radio. I remember more than once fantasizing how nice it wold be if we had the ability to have a small and compact device where we could be in touch with the ER directly while on the scene - kind of fantasizing about the Dick Tracy wrist communicator but in essence, what I was thinking about was what would become the "cell phone". I could not stop thinking about such a thing.

MORAL OF THE STORY - Be careful what you wish for! Such a device eventually arrived . . the "necessary" cell phone - or most folks think so anyway. Now I wish they would all burn up at the same time and people actually go back to "communicating" with each other.

I did end up with a "bag phone" . . . what a waste that was.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Carrying a phone and a "portable" Compac computer that was as big as a suitcase. Then had to carry my audit bag, all on a daily train to NYC. That sucked.
    Compaq luggable with the amber screen, 5.5” floppy and giant 10meg hard drive! That was a couple years before cellphones hit the scene.

I was with E&W at the time in Chicago, audit and coding a small business accounting system that would run on those Compaqs. Kinda wish that I still had the big belt-leather audit bag, but don’t miss that work.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jsm180 View Post
    70's? More like early 90's
    Bought mine when they first came out in summer 1988. 700.00 out the door. All calls were roaming charged. My first bill for was 200.00 for 30 minutes call time. I was 41 years old. My first call. Driving down the road. " Hey mom, guess where I am"

Boolit Grand Master

The antenna they all sported "back in the day" was a dead give away to age .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I watch Perry Mason reruns to watch the vintage Fords
    (and Della: do you remember what women used to look like?)
    Paul Drake's car phone was a very big deal in 1959.

Boolit Bub

Those phones were still desirable until the cell systems went fully digital... they had a full 5W output compared to the more compact, digital phones that put out about 0.6W.

The old analog bricks could take and make calls easily from anywhere inside a building and hit cell towers that today’s phones can’t dream of.
    73’s DE
    Matthew

“Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmacro View Post
    Those phones were still desirable until the cell systems went fully digital... they had a full 5W output compared to the more compact, digital phones that put out about 0.6W.

The old analog bricks could take and make calls easily from anywhere inside a building and hit cell towers that today’s phones can’t dream of.
    Yeah, we needed to knock down the power as we shrank the size of each cell to accommodate customer growth in cities. Network architecture and frequency reuse would bore you all to sleep! The rural customers were stuck with the lower power and resulting connection problems. Did help with battery life and size.

Boolit Bub

I hear you... my authorized, usable amateur radio frequencies have been slowly eroded over the last few decades in order to accommodate the growth in wireless technologies (never mind with digital modes, the need to take Ham frequencies should have been minimized as frequency/band sharing is a real thing).

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Yeah, we needed to knock down the power as we shrank the size of each cell to accommodate customer growth in cities. Network architecture and frequency reuse would bore you all to sleep! The rural customers were stuck with the lower power and resulting connection problems. Did help with battery life and size.
    73’s DE
    Matthew

“Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    I remember getting a bag phone when they first came out, it wasn't the 70's more like early 90's, late 80's, whenever, it sure was great to get rid of the pager, you could actually talk to someone without having to find a phone booth. I never could of afforded it if the place I worked for didn't pay the phone bill.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Compaq luggable with the amber screen, 5.5” floppy and giant 10meg hard drive! That was a couple years before cellphones hit the scene.

I was with E&W at the time in Chicago, audit and coding a small business accounting system that would run on those Compaqs. Kinda wish that I still had the big belt-leather audit bag, but don’t miss that work.
    Price Waterhouse back when there was a big ten or whatever it was called. Think I cut a chunk out of my leather audit bag for something. Stayed with them four years.

Boolit Master
    my boss son had a $6000 bag phone,mainly so he could pose at nightspots as a businessman (closest he ever got)...then a brick ,and I got one of the first Motorola compacts around 1992.....prices came down by 50% overnight,but it still cost $600.....but in those days ,before everyone had one ,you could ask customers if they wanted something as the lots came up for auction.....magic until everyone got one....then there were no more bargains and giveaways at auctions....been the same ever since.

Boolit Master
    before the mobile phones ,there was two ways ...either to your own base ,or you could be in a two way service,that worked like the 1920s operator connected service.....you could talk from your two way ,via the base ,over a phone line to a council engineer ,for instance......now the council engineers can check jobs from their office in realtime with satellite video.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Who remembers the flip side, when they were making phones so small they weren’t much bigger than your thumb. They were so small that you would hold them between your thumb and forefinger. I don’t know how people could dial them. I remember looking at them, but they didn’t interest me. I went for a Motorola folding model.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Who remembers the flip side, when they were making phones so small they weren’t much bigger than your thumb. They were so small that you would hold them between your thumb and forefinger. I don’t know how people could dial them. I remember looking at them, but they didn’t interest me. I went for a Motorola folding model.
    I was working on an opportunity with NTT DoCoMo and was amazed at how tiny some of the phones in Japan were...and completely unusable! Think I have a kimono around here somewhere still, they were big on gifts, and on drinking.

They did have a technology advantage, they went to high density digital networks while we were maintaining backwards compatibility with low density analog, high density analog and low density digital, it was a bit of a mess here as we split over CDMA vs TDMA.

Remember when the first iphone came out. Motorola had put a ton of effort into making a mobile phone that fit your hand and head in a way that was comfortable...Apple gave us a flat rectangle and it was heralded as an innovative design.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    I remember my mom had the first cell phone in our family, around 1995. It was a Motorola fit phone, a 1st gen StarTac. No memory, had to remember phone numbers and had 2 batteries, one charging and one using. Great service. She still has the same cell phone number. Dad then got at the same time a new StarTac flip phone the size of a billfold that could store 20 phone numbers and a blackberry that could send and receive text messages and voice messages. All in 1997-98. Now we have the equivalent of a Star Trek Tricorder in our hands. Literally the earliest 4000 square foot computer has 1/1000000 the computing power of the modern smart phone. We are Warp Speed away from the future.
    The computers that ran the space shuttle have significantly less capability and memory than the typical smart phone of today.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Period Joke.

Plumber is working on a doctor's sink when the phone rings in the plumbers bag. Plumber answers, confirms a later appointment and hangs up.

Doctor: That's cool, wish I could afford one.

Plumber: I couldn't afford one either back when I was a doctor.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast