WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New lever gun cleaning necessity

Boolit Master
    marlins and win 94ae are easy enough to strip once you have done it a few times .the 92/86 looks to be much more of a fiddle.

Boolit Master
    Only had one new (kinda sorta) lever action in some years. Winchester Canadian Centennial with the 26" barrel. Basically stripped own to component parts. Inside the receiver metal chips from when it was made, grease in the bolt and some copper and powder fouling from when it was fired at the factory. Regardless if new or old gets stripped down cleaned and reassembled. Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    marlins and win 94ae are easy enough to strip once you have done it a few times .the 92/86 looks to be much more of a fiddle.
    same again, once you've done it a few times - once you learn the couple of tricks a 92 is easy. I would not recommend taking on an 86 unless you find the others easy.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I got a start time n learning the breakdown. Took off the butt stock and removed the lower tang and hammer. I was thinking this has a bottom tang screw... But it doesn't. The one I removed holds the trigger return leaf spring/main spring strut mount in place. So, that took me awhile to figure out exactly where it's supposed to go to have the gun function properly after reassembly. I have seen quite a few metal flakes in there, so I may consider breaking it down soon. After watching some videos, it doesn't seem too bad.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HighUintas View Post
    Well I got a start time n learning the breakdown. Took off the butt stock and removed the lower tang and hammer. I was thinking this has a bottom tang screw... But it doesn't. The one I removed holds the trigger return leaf spring/main spring strut mount in place. So, that took me awhile to figure out exactly where it's supposed to go to have the gun function properly after reassembly. I have seen quite a few metal flakes in there, so I may consider breaking it down soon. After watching some videos, it doesn't seem too bad.
    If you got that Browning coil mainspring back in ok you will handle the rest of it.

The easiest way to install the Browning mainspring is to install the hammer, trigger and screw without the spring. Then after the screw is tight, install the mainspring. Push it up into the hammer slot, then use a wooden stick to push the base of the spring so that it drops into place.

I tried for a long time to install the spring, hammer and trigger in one shot. Didn’t work out so well.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Master

If you have a Marlin 336, get one of these from Brownells. It makes removing the lever from a Marlin easy. Remove the lever and bolt so you can clean from the breech end with a cleaning rod.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod27019.aspx

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HighUintas View Post
    I feel like a young boy trying to figure out a lady, as far as the internals go
    Welcome to the club, my friend!

Your 1886 will be a shorter learning curve for sure!!
    Bob

Boolit Grand Master
    In addition to swabbing out the barrel before firing, remove the butt stock and flush the action thoroughly with break cleaner or carburetor cleaner and then give it a shot of CLP or some similar lube. You'll be surprised at the gunk--including metal chips--that you will find.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12