Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .46 Caliber Remingtons

.46 Caliber Remingtons

Anyone familiar with the Remington revolvers chambered for the .46 caliber cartridge?

http://guntoters.com/blog/2015/08/29...n-by-a-uberti/

Boolit Grand Master

http://john1911.com/remington-1858-c...ge-conversion/

Remington started converting the 1858 revolver to cartridge conversions in 1868. Due to patents held by Smith & Wesson on the bore thru cylinder; they had to make an agreement, and pay a fee to them for each gun converted.

Although private gunsmiths did convert Remington New Model Army revolvers to shoot cartridges, most were done by the Remington factory in Ilion New York. Under license from Smith and Wesson, who controlled patent.

S&W and Remington signed a contract in February of 1868 (only a few months before the White patent expired) to convert a total of 4,574 revolvers to fire cartridges. These revolvers were converted to fire a 46 caliber rimfire cartridge. The new conversions were five shot revolvers, not six. Because of the size of the cartridge.

The work was done between September 1868 and April 1869. Most were purchased by B. Kittredge and Co. of Cincinnati. A large S&W distributor. S&W charged Kittredge $3.36 per pistol for the conversion. S&W kept $1.00 of this amount as their fee, and paid the remaining $2.36 per pistol to Remington.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Now I know why I have a .463" diameter bullet mold! Matching it up to one of less than 5,000 revolvers made in 1868 is probably of vanishing probability!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Interesting information! Thank you.

The story goes that when asked why he used a .45 pistol, John Wesley Hardin replied -
    " because they don't make a .46"...... I guess he wasn't a " gun guy" or he would have known!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk