Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Best jacket trimmer?

Banned

Best jacket trimmer?

What’s the best jacket trimmer for trimming jackets? I have RCE’s press and dies. But do have his adapter for S-Dies. Funny thing is I have the .224 ET trimmer but doesnt work in RCE’s walnut hill press? So does anyone know where I can find a good trimmer from who? I tried trimming 9mm brass with the powered case trimmer but it is flawed and not up to the task. It was a rcbs powered trim pro if that helps. The weak link was in the rubber hose. I thought that was pretty dumb to have a rubber hose with two clamps on to it. It was weak and the of course the metal shaft pretty much made short work out of the rubber hose...any help is appreciated. I also have corbin’s SAW tubing cutter but not sure if anyone has a jig for that?

Boolit Buddy
    Lathe with a collet attachment, mill with a collet, drill press with a collet holder and collet, pinch trim die in that order...

Boolit Master

I agree with JR. 5C collets with a collet stop can be used in a lathe or a mill with a collet closer. I custom bore a nylon emergency collet for each diameter jacket. Any end mill or even the Lee cutter can be used to do the cutting. I have a pinch trim die but don't like it much.

Bob
    Last edited by midnight; 03-27-2021 at 04:47 PM.
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Man
    Richard made a nice caliber specific trim die for his presses. You would just need to talk him into making it for you.

Boolit Bub
    RCE trimmer and strippers are the best I’ve used. The Corbin -Dave- works but I much prefer the version Richard pushes

Banned
    [QUOTE] Yeah I did but currently he’s retired and only makes things that may interests him. Otherwise I’ll just have to wait and bet on someone not wanting theirs...life is unfair...

Boolit Buddy
    What JR said. I too use a collet setup in a drill press. Set the stops and go. Far quicker than lathe and mill. I even set up a small pneumatic ram to operate the collet and use air to eject the jacket. Less than 5 seconds and you are done. This is very good when trialing jackets of different length. Change the collet for different calibers.
    D Corbin does do a draw pinch trim die that is wonderful for making specific length jackets. You just tell him the length of jacket required. There are a few other requirements for this type of die so check with them to get it right. Also be sure to specify how the ejection system works. He sent me a manual type, tap with a mallet system. Woefully slow and as we are so far away communication tends to be difficult sometimes, I made a auto eject for it. Makes great 17 cal jackets from 22LR cases. Derimmed and then Annealed cases go through it like butter. Again about 5 seconds to load, draw, trim and eject.
    Bill
    The bloke out in the field is always right until proven otherwise.