RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chop Saws

Boolit Master

The Proxxon 37160 is the Cadillac. About $260 - $270 though, so quite a bit more than the HF saw.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Buddy
    I built a jig with a clamp that I put in my 12” miter saw for trimming brass. With a TCG blade for non ferrous metals it made short work of cutting down cases For case forming. I made so many cases I haven’t used it in years. I cut it a little long and trimmed to final length

Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    My HF chop saw bid the Dust this week end
    Just curious - what are the symptoms of a HF chop saw which bites the dust?
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    That was Strother Martin and he wasn't the lead character in CHL.

I wore out a HF, bought a makita a number of years ago and gave it away. Dewalt is the king in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I’m thinking that an old radial arm saw and a jig to hold a row of brass would get through a lot of brass quickly. Takes up a lot of space though.

Boolit Buddy
    People had enough trouble with getting injured with radial arm saws to begin with. Have them make a jig to hold brass, I can't imagine when the brass gets loose where all those case fly! Or the cut ends flying off the blade.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ofitg View Post
    Just curious - what are the symptoms of a HF chop saw which bites the dust?
    I had this saw for About 6 Years or so. . So I new It was on it's last Leg. It was making a Lot of Chattering Noise upon starting. Cutting the first case , the shaft on the inside of the saw that rotates the blade Snapped.
    I really Can't Complain i did get Plenty of use Out of it
    sal
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Sal, it sounds like your little H.F. chop saw's drive shaft bearing went bad. If you have a source for new bearings it's possible you could have fixed that but there's no way to get passed the broken part!

Boolit Buddy
    The Mini Miter chopsaw is on backorder. I guess that should have been expected.

This is what I use when I need to do precision cuts. My little Bridgeport mill has been setup to cut my Guide Rods for my Hand Press for 4 years now. It uses the power down feed set at .003 per rev.

It is a 6" .060 slotting saw on the Angle Head. Note the reinforcing discs on either side of the saw blade. They stiffen the saw up so it doesn't chatter and wander side to side and do all sorts of things I don't want.

This set up is +/-.001 and has been for 4 years. This is why the top and bottom plates on my Hand Presses are parallel to within about .002 every time without having to go to all kinds of special handling to make it happen.

I have used this setup any time I had to cut parts to precise lengths and had to do a lot of them. It has always worked very well and cutting Brass would be an easy job for it.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2022.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    This is what I use when I need to do precision cuts. My little Bridgeport mill has been setup to cut my Guide Rods for my Hand Press for 4 years now. It uses the power down feed set at .003 per rev.

It is a 6" .060 slotting saw on the Angle Head. Note the reinforcing discs on either side of the saw blade. They stiffen the saw up so it doesn't chatter and wander side to side and do all sorts of things I don't want.

This set up is +/-.001 and has been for 4 years. This is why the top and bottom plates on my Hand Presses are parallel to within about .002 every time without having to go to all kinds of special handling to make it happen.

I have used this setup any time I had to cut parts to precise lengths and had to do a lot of them. It has always worked very well and cutting Brass would be an easy job for it.

Randy
    What would it cost me to get a case trimmer like that

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Are you talking about the small HF saw used for cutting down brass?

If so they are all the same except for the name.

Since this is the reloading equipment forum I can't imagine why you would be talking about any other chop saw.
    I’m confused too

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rfeustel View Post
    I’m confused too
    The OP did a drive by. He's never responded to the thread he created.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    In the past several days , most Places are completely Out of the Mini chop saws. . as was stated all these mini saws are the same . I ended up purchasing a Proxxon KGS-80 . That was even hard. All places were out of that also. I was able to locate one on line so that was the purchase
    Thanks for the feedback and lets see how that works
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    What would it cost me to get a case trimmer like that
    If you already have a Bridgeport mill the Angle head is an accessory you can purchase from them. (If you can afford it?) I got mine used for around $300 many years ago. They are on Ebay all the time. You also need the arbor or you can run an R8 collet and hold a smaller slotting saw mandrel and saw. 3" max dia. If you are cutting anything longer than a cartridge case you need a saw that is larger in Diameter so the work can go under the angle head. See pic above.

These are common Machine Shop Tooling, and excellent equipment. I've been using mine for 30+ years.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master
    I would love to have the equipment and skills to be a machinist . I admire what you guys can do and I enjoy seeing how you put your tools to use even for something this simple.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I would love to have the equipment and skills to be a machinist . I admire what you guys can do and I enjoy seeing how you put your tools to use even for something this simple.
    Back in 1972 d also wanted to be a machinist, then I discovered auto upholstery and had to make a choice. I flipped a coin and then spent the next 49 years doing upholstery work. To this day I still wonder if I made the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Reminds me of the movie where the lead character says...what we got here is a failure to communicate !
    Some men ya just can't reach.

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    Back in 1972 d also wanted to be a machinist, then I discovered auto upholstery and had to make a choice. I flipped a coin and then spent the next 49 years doing upholstery work. To this day I still wonder if I made the right choice.
    I saw this graffitied on the side of a building next to a freeway.

"Your Work is your Art!"

If you did nice work, you chose correctly.

Randy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12