WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chop Saws

Boolit Master

Chop Saws

My HF chop saw bid the Dust this week end . and checking for another . There are so many On line . Question , Are they all the same with just different names or are some better quality.
    Or the Cheapest is the best
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Just about anything is better then HF. You want something good that will last or another HF? I'm a pro and I would never own a HF. I have a Rigid, a porter cable, 2 delta's and a Hitachi right now. The deltas are beat but work fine, everything else should outlast me. Dewalt makes a quality saw also.

Love my DeWalt.

Of the chop saws is used at work over the years, the older porter cable was the best. The Bosch we had was junk. Several craftsman was okay then the last was junk. I'd probably get a rigid if I was going new.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Be sure, now that you are getting away from a Horrible Freight tool, get a "chop" saw that does compound miter angles, not just simple cut off's! I did not realize how valuable a double compound sliding miter saw was until I bought one and retired the HF junk saw (given to me) to my auxiliary workshop where I rarely ever use it.

Seriously look at DeWalt's offering. Their corded tools are still excellent.

I did high end carpentry trim work until retirement. The two best chop saws in my opinion are the Makita and the Hatachi compound miters. Gp

Boolit Master
    I have a Milwaukee 12" sliding compound on a Ridgid folding extension base . That works really good the stand is great easy to move and set up and gives good support to material when cutting. Would buy again.

Boolit Master

Are you talking about the small HF saw used for cutting down brass?

If so they are all the same except for the name.

Since this is the reloading equipment forum I can't imagine why you would be talking about any other chop saw.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Are you talking about the small HF saw used for cutting down brass?

If so they are all the same except for the name.

Since this is the reloading equipment forum I can't imagine why you would be talking about any other chop saw.
    Good point

Boolit Master

For a full sized “chop” saw I’ve been very happy with my Dewalt 12” compound sliding miter saw. If you’re looking for a little one, check out the Micro Mark tools. They have one that looks a lot like the HF one but it’s $10 more. The other one is a Proxxon which is over 6 times the price of the HF.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Labeling errors account for a lot of misunderstandings. Tho many folk call all power miter saws "chop" saws it's my understanding that actual chop saws are made for metal work and miter saws are intended for wood ... and that's what the labels on the original boxes usually indicate.

Harbor Freight's cute little 3" light duty chop saw is great (and reasonably safe!) for my reloading and small craft needs but then I don't plan to shorten 10,000 5.56 mm cases either. But I can't imagine using my 10" miter saw (with a coarse tooth wood cutting blade) to cut that thin metal.

Cheap tools are cheep; professional tools are not cheap but I'm not a professional fixer either. Thus, my bottom line for buying tools for any work is to get what I actually need for what do, not what my neighbor may do. Many inexpensive H.F. tools are quite sufficient for many of my occasional needs but I haven't a clue what to tell anyone else they need. I suspect anyone who actually needs high quality tools knows it without any advice from me or anyone else.

Reminds me of the movie where the lead character says...what we got here is a failure to communicate !

Guys,, I think he was talking about a "Miniature Chop Saw," not a full sized one. HF was one of the only places that sold something like that.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Guys,, I think he was talking about a "Miniature Chop Saw," not a full sized one. HF was one of the only places that sold something like that.

Randy
    The "thing" at HF is a cheap copy of the MicroLux MiniMiter saw (item #84656 $49.95) sold by Micro-Mark on line. Excellent saw. Looks like the cheapo HF thing but built better. At least from my experience with both items.

But many people DO discuss and ask advise on tons of other stuff OTHER than just gun-related use tools!

Boolit Master

I have one of the 2inch chop saws from harbor freight , it works good for cutting brass , and I own professional tools and have found some of the big names to be sadly lacking in quality .

My harbor freight roofing nailer works great could not say the same for the ridgid and the dewalt that both worked so so , yes they were oiled and they were pretty sad , I like quality tools and there are some names out there who strive to have quality control and there are so many who sell junk with a nice paint job and name and do not deliver .

For what you want cutting brass it will work , the bigger one is probably better , I had 3 inch pack of cut off wheels and can cut through a 50 alaskan without turning over , guard has to be removed or a different guard made to fit for the larger blades .

Which ever you get buy a good 200 tooth blade, you will never be sorry you chipped something that matters.

Boolit Master

I took off the blade as I had cut off wheels from something else , woks great and since I had them why not .

Boolit Master

I'm very happy with the HF mini shop saw for cutting brass. I made a short video showing the jig I made to hold the brass for a consistent cut length.

https://youtu.be/7unEiiPN860

Now the OP’s going to be on the search for a 12 inch 600 tooth, .020 blade.

I made an arbor to hold a slitting saw in a cheap drill press that made short work of cutting cases.

Boolit Master

Very nice and does a quick and slick job to , a little more then I would need , but for high volumes that would be the tool for it .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast