Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 270 wby mag chambering problems

Boolit Master

270 wby mag chambering problems

i have a Ruger 1 chambered in 270 mag.after firing or FL or Neck sizing i can chamber these rounds PRIOR to bullet seating without any resistance whatsoever. at times i can take one of these cases that chamber eaily and seat a bullet that is NOT touching the lands and it is extremely hard to close the lever. any idea what could cause this? something is happening during bullet seating. im using rcbs dies and these rounds are only fired in this rifle.

Boolit Master

You are likely overcrimping the case during bullet seating. Bolt action cartridges do not require a crimp.

place a sized cartridge case in your press with ram in UP position. then screw in your seating die. The die should not touch the cartridge case for a no crimp situation. If the die does screw down and touch the case, you need to reset the seating die so that it doesn't touch the case.

Boolit Buddy
    Your case necks may need to be inside reamed. If crimping, not needed, to heavily can cause the case shoulder to expand.

You say you can chamber a fired case without any resistance so take a bullet ( jacketed I presume ) and see whether it can be slipped into the neck of that fired case with little or no resistance.
    When you say you then seat a bullet not touching the lands and it is hard to close the action, but you didn't say if you neck sized the case first or just seated the bullet in the fired case.
    It sounds like you have a tight necked chamber from Ruger. Only fix I see is neck turning or inside reaming or use a different brand of brass or neck ream the chamber. A proper cartridge / fired case situation is to be able to rechamber fired brass with little to no resistance and have a little bullet clearance in the inside the neck of the fired case with the bullet you load. When casings don't have enough clearance for the neck to expand at firing can raise pressures a lot.
    I once owned a custom Mauser 98 chambered in 6 x 284 Win. and had the same problem. I had to make the brass from 284 brass and after necking it down it was to thick and the bolt closed hard and I could never get close to top loads listed for that caliber because of the tight necked chamber.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 03-21-2021 at 10:33 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    You are likely overcrimping the case during bullet seating. Bolt action cartridges do not require a crimp.

place a sized cartridge case in your press with ram in UP position. then screw in your seating die. The die should not touch the cartridge case for a no crimp situation. If the die does screw down and touch the case, you need to reset the seating die so that it doesn't touch the case.

do what? im not crimping at all
    Last edited by barnabus; 03-21-2021 at 05:33 PM.

Boolit Master

If you are not crimping and you are using factory brass and the bullet is not into the lands, I have no idea what the problem is. My response was to a very common problem often encountered.

The seating die is also usually also a crimping die. If the user screws the die down to touch the shellholder, then they crimp the case neck too much and bulge the shoulder. In that situation, the case/cartridge will not chamber due to the bulged shoulder.

So... since you are not crimping, how far is your die backed off the shellholder? I usually stay a full turn off the shellholder as a general rule unless I measure/determine the exact amount I need for clearance.

Since you didn't state that you weren't crimping, i was addressing the most likely scenario that would result in your problem.

I had a problem with a Sav 99/.250 similar to what you explained. It turned out that the chamber OAL length was under spec. I trimmed some cases necks less than spec & problem solved. FWIW, its worth a try....

Good Luck!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Jedman has it right. The neck of your loaded round is big enough to interfere with the neck in the chamber.

To check, carefully mike a fired case, them mike a loaded one.

Neck turning will be the answer.

Not an uncommon problem with old wildcats and some proprietary "high performance" cartridges.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Jedman has it right. The neck of your loaded round is big enough to interfere with the neck in the chamber.

To check, carefully mike a fired case, them mike a loaded one.

Neck turning will be the answer.

Not an uncommon problem with old wildcats and some proprietary "high performance" cartridges.
    what should the acceptable difference be from a fired case neck diameter and a neck sized only diameter after a bullet is seated?

A loaded cartridge neck O.D. ought to be at least .001" smaller than the unsized fired case.

Was the question asked: Will your bullet slide freely into a fired but unsized case? If not, the necks require thinning.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I guess I'd like to know. is this a factory chambered rifle or a gunsmith chambered rifle? I am not aware of all the ruger #1 chamberings. I was working under the premise that this was a factory saami chamber. If chambered by a smith, then neck diameter could be anywhere with a no turn neck for a specific lot of brass or a tight neck that requires neck turning (or reaming).

Regardless if you have fired brass from the rifle, you should be able to push a bullet freely into the case by hand. If you cannot, do not load and fire any cartridges until this situation is resolved. It is unsafe with your components.

Boolit Master
    A loaded cartridge neck O.D. ought to be at least .001" smaller than the unsized fired case.

Was the question asked: Will your bullet slide freely into a fired but unsized case? If not, the necks require thinning.
    yes the bullet slides in with plenty of ease in and out

In that case I'm all wet. Ignore what I wrote. Still the possibility that the case mouth is being bulged by the die.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

So we are back to something in the seating process is causing the cartridge to not chamber.

We have discussed
    1) Case bulging during seating (from a crimp)

and

2) Case length too long

How far is your seating die backed off of your shellholder

and

What do your case lengths measure after sizing / before seating.

What do your bullets mic? any chance they are .284 bullets instead of .277?

These three questions will further our search for the cause of the problem.

Brad
    Last edited by BK7saum; 03-22-2021 at 09:50 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

After you size your brass inside chamfer the necks real good, seat slow and careful, you are probably moving that double radius shoulder around, I had a similar situation when first starting on 300.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    After you size your brass inside chamfer the necks real good, seat slow and careful, you are probably moving that double radius shoulder around, I had a similar situation when first starting on 300.
    how could i do that if im only neck sizing?

Boolit Grand Master

Even if you only neck size you are reducing the inside neck diameter 2-3 thou smaller than your .277 bullets, if bullets hang up any on the case mouth when SEATING it can start a shoulder collapse. The Weatherby double radius shoulder will collapse easier than a std shoulder will, and they too can do the same thing

edit; change sizing for seating
    Charter Member #148

A black magic marker applied to a recalcitrant round would show up where the case is too tight.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    A black magic marker applied to a recalcitrant round would show up where the case is too tight.
    would you mark the entire round?

Of course.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast