Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 Mag with Split Barrel

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

44 Mag with Split Barrel

My son has an Interarms Virginian Dragoon. The barrel has a split developing and has asked me if it can be replaced. I don’t tinker with handguns, but I told him I thought so and that it would have to be done by a qualified gunsmith. He’s a carpenter by profession, but doesn’t have any experience with machine tools.

What is the availability of these barrels? Would it have to be custom made? Is it cost effective to do so? With the price of guns today, it might be worth repairing it when it wouldn’t have been before.

Thanks for all information and advice.

Boolit Grand Master

If the frame isn't damage it can be replaced. They have not been in production for a long time. I don't know if the threads will match anything that is readily available. Depending on that it could vary from relatively cost effective to not worth the money.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

How much would it cost to have a stainless barrel made today? Are there people who specialize in making handgun barrels and have the CNC equipment for it?

Boolit Grand Master

Do to the rarity of the gun and the age of the parts if it's not interchangeable Colt or the Colt Clones it will be a one off and CNC doesn't save money. Any of the known smiths are going to be plus $500 for a barrel they have to contour. Some a lot more. If you are by one of the Gunsmith Colleges that type of work can get done cheap as school project or machinist buddy might be willing to do it. If a screw in replacement barrel can be located the cost well be significantly less. Even on screw in replacement the cylinder gap may have to be set so that might require machine the barrel shoulder.

Some history on them

https://www.singleactions.com/VADragoons.pdf
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    You don't say where it is split. Is it the forcing cone? What length is the barrel? Could the split section be cut off and the barrel retreaded, have a new forcing cone cut and the barrel reinstalled with either a new tapped hole for the ejector or have the ejector shortened. Of course a new barrel could be fitted, either custom or factory. Paying a gunsmith to fix it probably will feel like a lot of money, you might be money ahead selling it to someone who could fix it for themselves.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B908B50D-13E4-4E2B-B4C6-4A021616461D.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	279927

You can see the fine crack developing here.

Boolit Master
    Is that a crack in the frame also?
    by the middle finger?
    the "squiggle line" on the frame looks like the squiggle line on the barrel ("crack")
    by the base pin.

if the frame is cracked replacing the barrel is a waste of time.
    spraying the suspected crack with brake cleaner may make the crack
    more visible.

Supposedly the 44 mag Virginia dragoons were hell-for-stout guns,
    so if this one is cracked I wonder what abuse it received.

gun parts corp/numeric may have a replacement barrel.
    also check the other used gun parts sites, like jack first, etc.
    search this sight for "used Winchester parts",
    the same places that sell used Winchester parts may have parts for this gun.

also google around, there is at least 1 site that sells "parts kits" of guns,
    that are basically the whole gun except the frame/receiver,
    or the kit may come with a chopped frame/receiver.

I forgot the name of the site, something like "every-gun-part".
    the gun had some connection with some police department
    and when they have guns used in a crime or
    confiscated that need to be "destroyed",
    this guy buys the guns, disassembles them, chops up the receiver,
    and sell the disassembled guns as a "kit".
    that way the PD/town/city gets some revenue and the guy gets some sales,
    and we get some parts.

be warned, his "kits" are not cheap.
    if you need 1 part and can get it elsewhere you will be better off,
    but if you cant find a part anywhere else and really need it, this is an option.
    Last edited by edp2k; 03-21-2021 at 01:14 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I had it confirmed that is NOT a crack on the receiver.

It’s a five inch barrel.

That gun has a history. Someone gave it to me for a bar bill he couldn’t pay. I never used it much because I had a S&W 44mag, that I carried for bear protection. I never reloaded for it because I didn’t have those dies until later when I bought a Marlin in 44 mag. I finally sold it to someone and it may have changed hands a few times and my son ended up with it a few years ago. The crack is fine, so it may have been being shot, without it being known it was cracked. When my son got it, he put 20 rounds of factory ammunition through it and discovered the crack only afterwards when he was cleaning it.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if an older blackhawk barrel would work? I would guess that finding a differently branded (but workable) barrel won't be that tough. It would be interesting to see what the thread profile on it would be.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Banner Sponsor

I made a chart up many years ago with all of the info I could find on barrel threads.
    I'm not sure where I have it saved or if it got transfered to my new PC. I posted it either here or AccurateReloading. trying to search for it. I think that someone else picked it up and added pistol threads. It may have migrated to other forums.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...st-info-needed
    I did find this.

The Virginia Dragoon barrel measures:

Major dia .710
    18 TPI
    Tennon length .835
    The very end of the tennon which is unthreaded measures .630 dia and .130 length

Ruger Blackhawk = .668" x 24 TPI

I know that the BFR has a larger barrel thread compared to the Ruger Blackhawk. I have a spare 50 cal BFR barrel around here somewhere, but couldn't find it in the safe.
    Last edited by lar45; 03-21-2021 at 08:35 AM. Reason: added info

Greg, check with Bob's Gun Parts:
    https://gun-parts.com/index.html/

They might have a replacement barrel.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Might consider, if an actual replacement barrel can't be found, the get a Ruger 7 1/2" barrel and have it shortened the 5 1/2" at the breach end then turned and threaded to fit the Dragoon frame.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

If I was in your shoes the first call I would make is to Jack Huntington 775-355-6898 and talk with him. His work is fabulous and priced very fair!

Boolit Mold
    You say it traded hands before your son getting it. Could be someone ran some hot ammo through it, such as CorBon ammo or hot reloads. Being a Colt Peacemaker copy, they're aren't made to shoot hot ammo.
    Or there could be barrel/forcing cone/cylinder alignment issues.

Personally I'd take it to a qualified gunsmith, and have it completely looked at before considering a barrel change. Any force great enough to crack a barrel could do damage to another part of the revolver. Maybe even have frame and cylinder MPI inspected.
    Or it could be you just had a flawed barrel and rest of revolver is okay.
    If everything is inspected and good-to-go, have it re-barreled. The gunsmith should check alignment of barrel, forcing cone, cylinder.

I believe those handguns were made by Hammerli. I shot a few back in the late 70s- all shot high( but well) and seemed to be of high quality. I would look for an original barrel first, then go with plan B or C. If the frame is ok- rebarrel that thing.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

When the crack shows up in the forcing cone, then there is a problem. A crack on the outside of a cylinder would worry me. The cylinder is where the real pressure is.

Had a 357 early Colt trooper that split a forcing cone after a box of 50. When it split, who knows.

Seen 1970s vintage Taurus 357 crack a frame. Barrel became loose. This is the worst that can happen.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I believe those handguns were made by Hammerli. I shot a few back in the late 70s- all shot high( but well) and seemed to be of high quality. I would look for an original barrel first, then go with plan B or C. If the frame is ok- rebarrel that thing.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Anything made after 1976 was not made by Hammerli. https://www.singleactions.com/VADragoons.pdf

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

The idea of getting a Ruger barrel and cutting it down to re-thread is interesting. What is the availability of Ruger barrels? How much would they cost?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    The idea of getting a Ruger barrel and cutting it down to re-thread is interesting. What is the availability of Ruger barrels? How much would they cost?
    I can't say at the moment, but I replaced one in 2019 with a barrel that I bought from e eBay. I just looked at my receipt, it was $46 delivered for a 5 1/2 inch 357 blued barrel.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Banner Sponsor

If you called your pistol Smith first, they may already have a takeoff barrel in hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast