Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Sizing and Lubing Semi Jacketed Wad Cutters

Boolit Buddy

Sizing and Lubing Semi Jacketed Wad Cutters

Hi,
    Corbins website shows some beautiful semi wad cutters that are jacketed below the cast lead shoulder.

Should the bullet be sized to groove diameter like a FMJ, or should the standard +.001 (or more) be used?

Should the lead portion of the bullet be lubed in some way?

Advice appreciated.

Boolit Master
    The Corbin swaging dies should turn out bullets of the correct diameter. They shouldn’t need any further sizing. Shooting them in your gun would be the best way to determine what is needed next.

If I were using the Herter’s and C-H half-jacket dies, I would recognize that they are marked “22”, “38”, “44” and “45” as a sort of best effort. The third decimal place may be larger than the standard expected. If you need to size them further, it would be best to use a push-through sizing die in a good reloading press. The half-jacket will increase the sizing effort and may strain a standard lubrisizer.

Half-jacketed swaged bullets were not a successful concept. Especially in the .357 Magnum, they were notorious for leading. Lubrication of the shoulder would help, but for best effect, you would need to get a cannelure tool to roll a ring in the lead for a lube groove.

I had a half-jacketed set in .22 caliber with a Herter’s “9-Ton” swaging press and couldn’t figure out why the loads in my .22 Jet were even louder than those with factory bullets. Years later, I got a micrometer and found that they were about 0.226” diameter, and being slammed through a 0.222” forcing cone. My Jet revolver isn’t as accurate as a friend’s K-22, and I wonder if that is the cause. The half-jacket bullets did not lead, though, and I never lubricated them.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    The Corbin swaging dies should turn out bullets of the correct diameter. They shouldn’t need any further sizing. Shooting them in your gun would be the best way to determine what is needed next.

If I were using the Herter’s and C-H half-jacket dies, I would recognize that they are marked “22”, “38”, “44” and “45” as a sort of best effort. The third decimal place may be larger than the standard expected. If you need to size them further, it would be best to use a push-through sizing die in a good reloading press. The half-jacket will increase the sizing effort and may strain a standard lubrisizer.

Half-jacketed swaged bullets were not a successful concept. Especially in the .357 Magnum, they were notorious for leading. Lubrication of the shoulder would help, but for best effect, you would need to get a cannelure tool to roll a ring in the lead for a lube groove.

I had a half-jacketed set in .22 caliber with a Herter’s “9-Ton” swaging press and couldn’t figure out why the loads in my .22 Jet were even louder than those with factory bullets. Years later, I got a micrometer and found that they were about 0.226” diameter, and being slammed through a 0.222” forcing cone. My Jet revolver isn’t as accurate as a friend’s K-22, and I wonder if that is the cause. The half-jacket bullets did not lead, though, and I never lubricated them.
    Thanks, Bent Ramrod. This is exactly the experience I needed to hear. Much appreciated.