WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Shoot .22 RF in a .30-06

Boolit Master

Shoot .22 RF in a .30-06

Just saw an odd devise at a gun show today, an auxiliary chamber in 30-06 caliber, that held a .22 RF cartridge. I asked the owner of it, how can that shoot accurately out of a .30 caliber barrel ? He showed me the instructions, and the small .30 cal lead "caps" that fit over the nose of the .22 bullets. Kind of like putting a .30 cal hollow base wadcutter bullet over the .22, and inserting the devise in a 30-06 and firing. It was built like the old Marbles chambers, and was built by a company called Alex Inc. Bozeman, MT.

Has anyone ever seen one, or know if they ever worked. I thought it was a clever idea, if it would shoot with some accuracy out to 25 yds or so. I wish I could have gotten a good photo of it, and the instruction sheet, to explain it to you better.

Boolit Grand Master

That's a new one on me. Very cool.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    This thread explains Alex Inc. Interesting read, https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...20953/alex-inc

Never heard of it.
    I wonder how the firing pin jives up with the rim fire case.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Here is a link to one that makes it http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/index.html
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    They are fun! I have to admit to never being able to hit much with them (the point of impact is not even close to where my rifle"s sights were). The blank is eccentrically placed in the cartridge adapter - so the rim of the blank lines up with the firing pin every time.
    Alex was run by an older fella that was selling his wares at gun stores in the 80's and 90's. Not sure he's still alive.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Never heard of it.
    I wonder how the firing pin jives up with the rim fire case.
    This one uses blanks and per the OP the Alex is is a bulleted round
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    He showed me the instructions, and the small .30 cal lead "caps" that fit over the nose of the .22 bullets. Kind of like putting a .30 cal hollow base wadcutter bullet over the .22, and inserting the devise in a 30-06 and firing. It was built like the old Marbles chambers, and was built by a company called Alex Inc. Bozeman, MT.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Don't really understand why someone would want one, unless just to have a unique or oddball system. I have some different things, but have 0 interest in this.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've read about them. I always thought a plain cartridge adapter (at least for .30 cal rifles) made more sense, the ones that let you fire say a .32 ACP in your .306 chamber.

Since beginning to cast, an even easier solution is available. Usually categorized as cat sneeze or mouse fart loads, A light, compared to rifle projectiles, cast boolit ahead of a miniscule charge of powder.

Any of the options will take care of a short range varmint, assuming it hits somewhat close to the sights.

Robert

Boolit Master

Guys and ladies, the reason many don’t understand is that we aren’t the audience for this. Imagine that you had no idea ammunition could be reloaded, boolits could be cast or you could make light .30 cal loads for less than the cost of .22 LR. That’s the target audience.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Guys and ladies, the reason many don’t understand is that we aren’t the audience for this. Imagine that you had no idea ammunition could be reloaded, boolits could be cast or you could make light .30 cal loads for less than the cost of .22 LR. That’s the target audience.
    Or..... imagine a world where 22 power blanks are available in unlimited supply.... but reloading components are not.

Oh wait ...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk