RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is your Star Lube Sizer positioned on the bench?

Boolit Buddy

Where is your Star Lube Sizer positioned on the bench?

Just fabricated a portable metal framed casting and sizing table. None of the items in the picture have been mounted yet, the top is 3/4" PT , stained and coated with polyurethane which will be fully dry tomorrow.

My idea is to mount the Star lube sizer where it is positioned in the picture (with the heater base I just made for it). Heater will be wire from the bottom. Would like to put a hole in the plywood so as the bullets are sized they drop into a pan below the deck? You see any concerns with this?

Feels good to me, with left hand place bullet face down on sizer and with right hand pull lever.

I can adjust the height of the drop drop by placing boards under the catch pan.

The table can then be spun around when casting with the Lyman Mag 25 pot. This is the last phase of my introduction to bullet casting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sizercast.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Mine is on a 3/4" piece of plywood cut to fit Lee's quick change plate.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Mine is on a 1/4" steel plate that slips under bolts on the bench. It overhangs the edge so I can catch the bullets. I set the bullets base down in a box so the soft lube doesn't smear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 432640b.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I need at least twice that space to keep all the stuff I use when casting handy

Boolit Master
    Mine is mounted on a piece of 2"X 8" pine board held down by 8" clamps so I can move it around.

Moderator Emeritus

If I were working on such a small bench, I would make tools/equipment easily removable, so I'd only have one tool/equipment on the bench at a time, so I'd have plenty of working space.
    Also, you'll find when sizing some boolits, a small lightweight bench like that might be jumping around, LOL...My bench that I use for sizing boolits, is thick butcher block and it's large and bolted to the wall, and still jumps when sizing certain over sized boolits
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine is bolted to a Midway heater, which is screwed to a 2 x 8. It high enough off the bench so I can put a pint ziploc container under the thing to catch lubed boolits.

I have 8 Star sizers that I use on a regular basis (the other 4 are either loaned out, or used for some specialty bullets). They're all mounted to 10" square wood bases that are 1.5" thick, along with their heaters. These are mounted as needed to my bench with 2 heavy duty clamps, one on each side of the wooden base. My benches are made from 2" x 8" tongue and groove lumber, topped with 3/4" plywood, and braced underneath, since they're also used for bullet swaging. I've made aluminum hangers for Akro Bins on the front of my benches for catching bullets as they drop through the sizer(s), and for brass and bullets when reloading.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I have 8 Star sizers that I use on a regular basis (the other 4 are either loaned out, or used for some specialty bullets). They're all mounted to 10" square wood bases that are 1.5" thick, along with their heaters. These are mounted as needed to my bench with 2 heavy duty clamps, one on each side of the wooden base. My benches are made from 2" x 8" tongue and groove lumber, topped with 3/4" plywood, and braced underneath, since they're also used for bullet swaging. I've made aluminum hangers for Akro Bins on the front of my benches for catching bullets as they drop through the sizer(s), and for brass and bullets when reloading.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Uh you don't like star sizers do you

I built a 3X3 foot square bench using heavy walled 3/4 square tubing. It's used for multiple purposes. A Rock Chucker press on one side, a 5" vice on one corner, and in the center of one side is where my Star is mounted. It has a lower shelf built in for storage as well. I built a 1" PVC tubing chute that catches my sized bullets and deposits them into a container on the 2nd shelf. Works for me.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Uh you don't like star sizers do you
    I also have an older Lyman 450, an RCBS sizer and two Saeco sizers, all mounted on the same 10" x 10" x 1.5" wooden mounts that I can clamp to the bench when needed. The Star Sizers get used the most, but the others have their use for special applications. The Star Sizer is God's gift to the bullet caster....

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Apologies ....
    Can the lead tips be lubricated in other ways, that is, not using that tool?
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JLF View Post
    Apologies ....
    Can the lead tips be lubricated in other ways, that is, not using that tool?
    Google pan lubing or tumble lube , that might help you get started .

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine was mounted to a sturdy bench but I am downsizing and it will be mounted to an Inline Fabrication mounting plate. It is not as cheap as making your own system, but I like being able to switch out tools rapidly. I used to have 16 ft of bench space and a large oak table. Now down to 6 ft.

BTW, for my needs there is no advantage in having a "casting/lubing/sizing center". So putting the sizer near the casting area offers no advantages. I can cast with a Lyman furnace (ladle), Lee bottom pour or Master Caster depending on the molds/alloys I am using. Casting is done outdoors in a garage when not too hot or cold. Lubing and sizing is done in the reloading room.

One suggestion on your table. Add a large cookie sheet pan under the melter in case you dribble.
    Don Verna

Mine is mounted on a heavy piece of aluminum, overhanging the bench. The sizer is mounted to Al plate. There are two 50W power resistors mounted to the underside of the Al plate, beneath the lube reservoir. I use a 30V DC supply to juice the resistors to heat lube, although I could certainly use a PID controller.
    "Wherever was found what was called a paternal government was found a state education. It'd been discovered that the best way to insure implicit obedience was to commence tyranny in the nursery." -Benjamin Disraeli

Boolit Buddy
    Mine is mounted to a inline fabrication plate (as are my single stages and Lee app) which I attach to a quick change plate that is routed into the bench just left of my Dillon so I can use the mr bullet feeder to feed the sizers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Papercidal View Post
    Mine is mounted to a inline fabrication plate (as are my single stages and Lee app) which I attach to a quick change plate
    Same - I have a single stage press and a vise on 2 other plates; very handy to be able to swap them out as needed.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    Similar to a few above, other than the hard mounted press everything else is mounted to appropriately sized oak boards (when it was cheap enough) and clamped to the bench. I tried pine once but the screws pulled out too easily.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P Lyman 45s.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	292533

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine is mounted on a couple of boards attached to my bench, so when I attached the sizer to the heater, I can put a screw top ziplock plastic container underneath the sizer so boolits just drop into the container

Boolit Grand Master

I bolt mine and its heater on the edge of my bench near the center. When its not infuse I remove it and store it away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast